*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1931516-WHITE-SPOT-STORIES
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by decora
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Community · #1931516
My Memories of the White Spot Restaurant. A sponsored contest by the White Spot.
1951
Beginning with the summer -  my first memorable visit to the White Spot was with my parents in  Kitsilano; a district in the city of Vancouver B.C.  I was seven years old.  Mother had taken me to Kits Beach, for the day, later father joined us, after he finished work.  He took us for dinner to the White Spot.  This was the first time I had ever been to eat in a restaurant.  I felt very grown up at the age of seven to be dining in a restaurant.

1964
My mother died from cancer.  Dad didn't know how to cook.  I at the age of 13 had only learned to boil an egg in my first semester of home economics cooking class. Dad left me monies each day on the kitchen table to buy lunch and dinner, for myself.  He never arrived home till after the bars closed. 

In those days in North Burnaby there was the 4 choices to eat at,  A&W, which had no inside eatery, a local Chinese restaurant, the first built in B.C.  MacDonald's restaurant  or the White Spot on Lougheed  Highway.  The first three eateries were never my choice.  Often on Friday's dad left extra monies, for me to buy a whole apple pie or pumpkin pie  from the White Spot. He would nurse a hang-over on Sunday's with ice-cream and pie.

1967
Met my future husband.  His mom was a single parent and raised two children on wages and tips she earned where she worked at the White Spot on South Granville Street in Vancouver for over 20 years.

1974
My sister was expecting her first child.  She was craving a White Spot Hamburger.  We dined  in her car and was serviced by the car hop,  a young fellow.  My sis turned to me after we had eaten our burgers and fries and said

"You know I am craving another one of those burgers. Let's order two so I won't look like a piggy! " 
How I managed to eat a second burger, still amazes me, as I think back in time. I did it to please my sis. 

1980 I became a single parent.  The big weekend treat was lunch or dinner at the White Spot  with my sister so our  kids could get a Pirate Pack Meal.

1993
Moved from the Vancouver to Kelowna B.C.  Was thrilled to see our familiar family restaurant, there!

2013
With my daughter and one granddaughter, we  have our once a week lunch at the White Spot.  NEVER  have had a  rude person serve me in all the years, I have enjoyed eating at the White Spot! 

One wee complaint -
Could the burgers be sliced before serving, like before? 
I realize it may save a minute for faster service but try cutting a burger in half with a dull knife!

Author of article  - Pen Name: Decora
© Copyright 2013 decora (purpleiris at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1931516-WHITE-SPOT-STORIES