*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1938035-Justice
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1938035
Maddie never forgot Monte and it was time to set the record straight.
Maddie’s eyes fluttered open. The hum of the machine next to her droned with its precise efficiency. She stared into the mirror across from her bed. Her mind wandered back to a night long ago and a name churned to the surface of her memory – Monte Jackson.

“Just put down the knife, Maddie.”

“No.” Her hand trembled.

“Look, I know you. You are not a killer.”

Her eyes fixated on the bloody knife in her hand. Ed’s body lay butchered at her feet with the still smoking shotgun beside him. A few drops of blood smeared on her shoe’s toe.

“I don’t want to hurt you too, Monte. I just…”

“I know. I know exactly why you did what you did.” Monte’s calm voice soothed her. “Just give me the knife and we’ll fix this thing. No one is going to lock you in a cage. No one gonna hurt my Maddie.”

She handed the knife to him.

The crunch of gravel beneath men’s feet filled the air. Monte smeared blood on his shirt.

“What are you doing?” Maddie asked pointing at him.

“Saving your life just like you just did mine.”

“But you can’t. I won’t let you. I killed him not you!”

“Don’t matter now.”

The Sherriff and several deputies burst into the old barn and spied the young nigger standing above Ed. Guns drawn and rage in their eyes they pushed aside Maddie.

“You alright, miss?”

“Yes, but…”

“Don’t worry. We’ll take care of this.”

Maddie groped for her cell phone and pressed the numbers.

“Richmond police station. How may I direct your call?”

“I’d like to report a murder.”

“Where ma’am?”

“Forty eight years ago. I killed a man named Ed Cassell, and I want to clear the name of a wonderful man named Monte Jackson.”


Flash Story
Limited to 300 Words
Must contain: Mirror, Point, Cage
© Copyright 2013 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1938035-Justice