*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1964895-She-Danced-With-the-Prince
Rated: E · Short Story · Young Adult · #1964895
another young girl's fairy tale
She Danced with the Prince

I.
Dappled shadows of the leaves played on the path as Tansy quietly walked under the grape arbor. She deftly lifted her long skirts to step over the stone threshold and slipped into the kitchen garden through a low wood slat door. Once inside, she was hidden behind the six-foot stone wall which bounded the western edge of the profusion of herbs, flowers, and savory plants she was responsible for maintaining.
Care of the plants in the garden was only one of Tansy’s daily chores, yet it was her favorite. Any opportunity to spend time in the garden tending her plants was splendid.
Cook had patiently taught Tansy the names and special uses for each of the plants. With the whole court depending on the medicinal herbs, as well as the seasonings made from the cooking herbs, Cook was strict as she quizzed Tansy over and over about each plant which grew in the kitchen garden. Tansy had grown to love working with the herbs.
Five years had passed quickly while Tansy served as apprentice to Cook. She had spent little time learning cookery, but many hours a day were devoted to learning about the various herbs, flowers, and spices. She learned to raise new plants from precious tiny sprigs brought to the castle by merchants from far away Eastern lands. Then, she learned to harvest and dry the herbs, and flowers, and finally, to grind and prepare mixes of herbs for various cures.
A few minutes ago, Cook had sent Tansy to fetch several bunches of fresh mint and parsley for the noon meal, and Tansy knew she could not stay and mull over her thoughts in the tranquility of the garden. But unbidden, she remembered the announcement posted at the public board:

A Ball in Honor of the Prince
To be held on the Eve of His Royal Highness’ Birthday
All courtiers are commanded to attend
Though Tansy’s family was not landed gentry, her father Sir Thomas, was a close confidant to the King. Sir Thomas and King Edward had battled side by side years earlier against the Goths and repelled the attacks soundly.
Each member of the family would be expected to attend the ball.

II.
Shaking herself from the pre-occupation with the news of the Ball, Tansy hurriedly collected several bunches of mint and parsley and placed the herbs in the large, shallow woven basket which hung from her arm.
The sound of clanking metal beyond the garden wall brought a smile to the girl’s lips.
“It’s likely Francis and Timothy sparring with the old swords they begged from my brother,” she murmured.
Her cousins followed Antony and Prince Andrew like little chicks following a hen and imitated every action they saw the young men do.
Tansy remembered many afternoons spent watching her brother and the Prince engage in sword-play, while she and Symphony, her sister, were inside the castle supposedly learning embroidery, or other lady-like skills. The prince often soundly beat Antony. Prince Andrew was taller, broader and stronger than Antony who was two years his junior. Occasionally, though, Antony used quick footwork, and the advantage of being left-handed, to outmaneuver the prince. At those times, Antony was jubilant during the family dinner time.

III.
No longer a child at play, Antony had surpassed Papa’s height three years ago. Now, at 19, his gift for music had been noted by King Edward. Antony’s penchant for doggerel as an adolescent had mellowed and developed into a rare gift for composing songs of wit and insight which he played as one of the selected minstrels to the King.
Though Antony had reveled in writing songs of derision about the various courtiers, he also enjoyed playing the many tunes which were popular at the balls and fetes. Many evenings after a simple dinner with their parents, Antony played his lute and sang while Tansy and her younger sister Symphony danced to his music. Tansy drank in the mellow sounds and swayed and twirled to the melodies with abandon. Sometimes, Tansy and Symphony paired up and practiced the more formal dances.

IV.
As she hurried back to Cook, Tansy remembered earlier balls. When the girls were 14 and 16, they began to attend the balls with their parents and brother. Prince Andrew was solicitous of every maiden at the balls, and danced with each in turn. Tansy remembered with a special feeling of pleasure the dance with Prince Andrew when he recognized her as Antony’s little sister.
“Ah, it is you, Tansy! I have heard from Antony you practically live in the gardens, and I see by the blooms in your hair that the flowers desire to be near you, too!” Prince Andrew teased, and then grew serious. “You look quite grown up with your tresses pinned up and the fragrance from those flowers is quite becoming. What flower is it?”
Suddenly shy with the prince, who had been like an extension of the family when they were younger, she bowed her head and replied, quietly, “They are Tansy blossoms… I love the scent. And yes, I do enjoy working in the garden. The plants provide so much for us. Do you know there are herbs for nearly every ailment?” As Tansy shared some of her favorites with the prince, she grew animated and lost the shyness which had been a barrier between them at the start of the dance.
After the music ended, the prince escorted Tansy toward the other young girls, and true to form, invited the next maiden to dance.
Tansy’s eyes had followed as the prince lead another girl toward the waiting couples and joined the dance.

V.
Two weeks after the announcement was posted, Tansy and Symphony joined their parents for the ball in honor of the prince’s birthday. Throughout the castle there had been whispered comments about the importance of the ball in the days leading up to the fete.
The Great Room of the Castle was decorated with great pots of ferns, the walls covered in new tapestries completed for this event. The King and Queen sat on thrones on a dais, and opposite them, the minstrels were assembled to play. Several dozen gaily dressed courtiers gathered and the mood was festive.
As usual, Prince Andrew danced with each young lady. While Tansy talked with her friends, she observed the prince. She marveled at the gracefulness with which he moved, and the way he lead his partners so smoothly.
The hour was late when a new maiden appeared at the side of the room. She wore an exquisite gown, and on her head was a petite tiara. Several of Tansy’s friends noticed the newcomer at the same time, and the question in their eyes was the same. “Who is this? Where did she come from?
At nearly the same time, a dance ended, and Prince Andrew brought his most recent partner to the side of the dance floor. Tansy saw his eyes the moment he noticed the new girl. They widened a little, and his usually smooth gait stopped abruptly. He excused himself from the group of waiting young ladies and approached the newcomer…

And the rest, as they say, is history.

Prince Andrew and Cinderella danced the night away.
© Copyright 2013 iluvhorses (debmach at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1964895-She-Danced-With-the-Prince