*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1967940-Flash-Fiction-Entry-12-20-299-Words
Rated: 13+ · Other · Contest · #1967940
Contest entry
Shew… shew… shew…

Meredith felt the goosebumps on her neck, her hand cold yet sweating. The sound was nearing.

Shew… shew… shew…

She had heard it before, but it had always been far away. Bobby looked up, dark eyes searching. He reached for her, sensing her nervousness. It was very dark outside, and he heard it too.

Shew… shew… shew…

She said nothing, words frozen.

Shew… shew… shew…

The legend was known to all. No one alive had ever seen it, only the dead. The living were left to hear the noise, waiting and wondering if they would be safe or be chosen.

Shew… shew… shew…

“I don’t like the noise Mommy,” Bobby said quietly. "Scaring me. What is it?"

Shew… shew… shew…

She could not answer, afraid to alarm her son. But the truth was, she didn’t know. She only knew that they would either be safe, or it would be very, very bad.

Shew… shew… shew…

The candle flickered, and suddenly Meredith felt very cold. The goosebumps moved across her skin. She backed away from the door, gently guiding Bobby back, away. They moved quietly towards the fireplace. The fire danced behind them, but Meredith could feel no warmth.

Shew… shew… shew…

Her legs weakened. She had to keep it together. She could not show him the fear, he would know it soon enough. She had to protect him. But she was weakening, her head light. She slipped to her knees.

Shew… shew… shew…

“Mommy!” Bobby cried out, grasping at her. His small hands tugged at her blouse, but he could not keep her from slipping to the floor. Frightened, he began to cry and ran to the door. “I have to get help!”

“Bobby! Don’t open that door!” But it was too late.

SHEW… SHEW… SHEW…
© Copyright 2013 LenTaylorWrites (lencom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1967940-Flash-Fiction-Entry-12-20-299-Words