*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1968257-Aunt-Sandys-potato-latkes
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1968257
Hanukkah potato pancakes
Aunt Sandy’s potato latkes

This is my aunt’s recipe. When I make this, I use the grater on the food processor, and then stick it back in with the chopping blade to more finely puree only part of the mixture. This allows the outside to get that crispy texture, but the inside to cook nicely and have the right potato taste. I also use canola oil. Oh . . . and I use cheesecloth to squeeze out extra moisture from the potato/onion mixture before adding the other ingredients.

6 medium size potatoes
1 small onion
2 eggs slightly beaten
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Olive oil and vegetable oil mixture

Peel potatoes and cut into quarters. Place in cold water. Grate potatoes and onion in blender. Strain and place in mixing bowl. Add eggs, salt, pepper and baking powder.

Place oil in pan and heat. Place potato mixture into strainer and allow the balance of the fluids to drain off. Place potato mixture onto tablespoon and drop into hot oil. Fry. Place on paper towel to drain.

Can be made in advance and frozen. Heat on racks in oven.

Serve with sour cream or applesauce. Yum!
© Copyright 2013 Merry Mumsy (amygdalia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1968257-Aunt-Sandys-potato-latkes