*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1970411-He-Ran
Rated: 18+ · Other · Action/Adventure · #1970411
Entry for the 200 Word Wonder Story contest
He ran.

He ran because he knew that if he didn't get to the other side the others would die. And if the others died, he would die.

Bullets whistled over his head. The ground erupted around him showering him with earth. He stumbled and fell to the dirt. He lay dazed watching the smoke swirl upward. The smoke had no right to be so peaceful, he thought, picking himself up.

And he ran.

Coming up to a nest, he threw himself over the low wall – and into a group of three wearing enemy colours. Landing with a roll, he tripped the first man with a sweep of his rifle, pulling it back in a swift thrust ramming the butt into the gut of the second man, winding him! In a whirlwind of death, steel and wood, he spun the rifle around once more, cutting down the last man with his bayonet!

He trained his rifle on the first man and pulled the trigger. Then the second. Then the third.

β€œIt's just what needed doing,” he thought as he looked up at the field piece. He pulled out his satchel charge and planted it.

Then he started to run.
© Copyright 2014 Cpt. J Mannings (sebbo92 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1970411-He-Ran