*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1970606-The-Secret-of-the-Picture
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1970606
Two youngsters go looking for magic using a mysterious picture. . .
Author's note: This story was written for the following picture prompt:

** Image ID #1969982 Unavailable **


It had been a hard day for Preston. He had spent the day studying his spells, until finally, he had exploded. "It's no use!" he said. "I'll never be a wizard."

His teacher, Lady Green, gave him a gentle smile. "Perhaps," she said, "you are looking for magic in the wrong place."

"What do you mean?" said Preston a little bit more calm.

"Well, you are getting older, so maybe it is time that you learned something new. You see,some people believe that magic is obtained by studying for years and years. Others that it can be obtained by making a long journey, but the journey is difficult and it is best to bring as much help as one can get."

Preston shrugged. "But a journey to where?"

Lady Green smiled. "Many years ago, someone gave me this picture. It is supposed to be a picture of a place where a wizard can find all the magic of the world, if the wizard can only find out where it is."

Preston looked at the picture and gasped. For the picture showed a completely familiar landscape in the country. "I know where that is. It's just across the lake."

"Then, go there, but remember to bring all the help that you can get."

* * *


Preston was still wondering about this when he got ready to go that evening. He was on the way out of his house when he saw his older sister, Alice, standing in front of a mirror. "Looking at your favorite thing?" he jeered.

Alice made a face, "Honestly, I don't understand why I had to have such an immature little brother. It's so annoying."After a pause, she looked at him and said, "so what dumb thing are you up to now, anyway?"

Preston controlled himself. "I'm not doing anything dumb. I'm going out and when I come back, I"m going to be a wizard with great magic."

This got Alice's attention. Her main interests had always been things like dresses, parties, and her own hair, but magic was something that she couldn't resist finding a little exciting. "Hmmph!" she said trying to sound bored. "Where are you going to become a powerful wizard?"

"In the mountains across the lake. It's not far."

No, it wasn't, which made Alice even more thoughtful. She could probably go there and be back home in plenty of time to look in her mirror before it got dark. "Preston," she said a little bit more sweetly, "Could I come with you to see this magic?"

For a minute, Preston was going to laugh and tell his sister to forget it, but then he remembered what Lady Green had said about bringing all the help he could get. Was this what she had meant by that? Reluctantly, he looked at his sister. "If you really want to."

"Great!"

* * *


When they reached the lake, Preston pointed out that they needed to get to the other side.

"How are we going to do that?" asked Alice.

"We could try to swim."

"And get my hair wet?"

"All right," sighed Preston. "It's probably too far anyway. I think there's a boat somewhere over here for emergencies." Sure enough, a rowboat was moored in a spot near the tall grasses. "I guess I can row, but you'll have to bail."

As they set out across the lake, the boat indeed began to fill with water."Eaaugh!" screamed Alice, "it's getting wet in here."

"That's why you need to bail!"

Alice didn't look happy, but she bailed for a while. Until suddenly, there was a loud smack against the side of the boat. "What was that?"

Preston tried not to look alarmed. "I'm not sure, but they do tell some stories about this side of the lake--"

Before he could finish, there was a splash and a large reptilian creature with a long neck emerged from the lake. Alice screamed. "You didn't tell me there would be monsters here." And she began clambering around.

"Alice, stop that! You're going to overturn--" Before he could finish, the boat overturned and the two were in the water. Preston choked back some water and called out, "swim for the shore." Fortunately, they weren't too far from the shore and a few minutes later, he pulled himself out of the water and Alice followed a few feet behind. "Oh well," said Preston, "at least we made it."

"Made it? I'm soaking wet. My clothes are ruined, and I think I'm going to get sick thanks to you and your magic--" She broke off. "Did you hear something?"

Preston did. There was something coming out of the forest. Then the two gulped because a big black bear emerged from the forest. It let out a loud roar and they could see that blood was coming from one of its paws. "The poor thing is hurt," said Alice. She almost sounded more sorry for the bear then afraid of it.

"Yeah," said Preston, "but that's all the more reason to stay away from it. Animals get crazy when they're hurt. Just walk calmly away, but don't run."

Alice was convinced and the two strode into the forest. The bear seemed interested in them, but it kept a respectful distance away.

"Well," said Preston. "We made it to the mountain. This is definitely where the magic should be."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, It looks just like the picture." Preston took out the picture which he had been carrying under his clothes. "See?"

Alice looked at the picture and frowned. "Preston, you silly fool. This isn't a picture of that mountain. I mean I guess it is--but it's also a picture of lady. See? Right now, we're at the base of her torso."

Preston stared at the picture in amazement. "I can't believe I didn't see that. But. . . I still don't see how it helps us find the magic."

"Well," said Alice,"maybe if this lady is here. We should try asking her."

"Hello, Lady!" Alice called out. "Are you here."

From out of the mountain there was a sound. Almost like an echo except that it wasn't repeating what Alice said. "Why do you disturb me?"

"Oh well," called out Alice. "We were looking for some magic. Could you help us with that?"

"Many come here looking for magic. They steal it and waste it and use it for many terrible things."

"We would never do that," called out Preston deciding it was time to enter the conversation.

"What woud you do?" responded the voice.

There was silence as neither one was sure how to answer that, but Alice spoke first. "If we had some magic now, we could help that poor bear over there."

Preston wasn't sure he liked that idea.

"Try it," said the voice.

"All right," said Alice nervously. "Come on, Preston. I guess we should go over to the bear." She walked rather quickly. Preston approached more cautiously trying to decide whether bringing his sister on this expedition was a great idea or the worst mistake of his life.

The bear looked fierce, but as Alice approached it saying nervously. "Calm down. We just want to help you," it stopped growling and looked more peaceful. "I think it understands me," said Alice. "Now, look maybe we should both put our hands on the injury."

Preston was doubtful, but he placed his hand next to hers on the injured paw.

Immediately, the wound disappeared. The bear jumped up and began licking them both on the face.

"Well done," said the voice. "Depart from this place. The magic will go with you."

"Yes, thank you very much!" called out Alice.

"Thank you," said Preston feeling rather amazed with his sister.

Then he looked at the lake. "How are we going to get home? Our boat was wrecked."

"I have an idea," said Alice. She called out across the lake. "Hello there!"

A few seconds later the reptile with the long neck emerged. "Can you understand me?" Alice asked.

The creature seemed to nod.

"Good," said Alice, "we were wondering if you could carry us back across the lake."

The creature let out a loud cry.

"He said, 'yes,' " said Alice.

Preston wasn't sure what to say to that. His sister looked like a completely different person from what he had seen that morning. Finally, he said, "You realize that we'll probably get wetter traveling that way."

For a minute, something of the old Alice seemed to come back. "Luckily," she said in a haughty voice, "that doesn't matter because my hair looks incredibly sexy when wet."

Then she laughed and gave her brother a hug.



© Copyright 2014 Weirdone-Back in the games (weirdone28 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1970606-The-Secret-of-the-Picture