*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1971112-Dancing-In-the-Land-of-Dragons
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Fanfiction · #1971112
Hermione/Charlie fanfiction
My name is Hermione Granger. I am 26 years old. It has been nine years since the Second War ended and Voldemort was defeated. Everything is fairly quiet now. Most people got back to their lives and continued on where they left off. Harry, Ron, and I were granted jobs at the Ministry. I was offered a position in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. I quickly rose through the ranks and now I'm second only to the head of the department, Archie Jackson. The boys think I work too much but I really just love what I do. They're probably going to try to get me to go out and "relax" tonight. Just because it's the day I was born doesn't mean it needs to disrupt my life every year. It's really just another day.
***
September 19, 2005
"We're going out."
"No, we are not."
"Yes, we are."
"Ronald Weasley, how many times do I have to tell you? I am not going out for my birthday."
"Hermione, you're letting us treat you for your birthday." Harry chastised. "You've been spending far too much time alone."
"Yeah!" interjected Ron.
"Guys, I'm okay. I really don't think this is necessary." She says, exasperated.
"Too late!" they say in unison. Harry and Ron each hook an arm through hers and drag her through the front door.
***
September 22, 2013
Hermione apparated to the Burrow at precisely 7 pm on Sunday evening. She stopped and took a moment to take in the sight before her. The Burrow had always fascinated her. After the war ended it had become her home away from home. Charlie had stayed home for a year to grieve with his family after Fred's death. Even thinking his name send a pang through Hermione's chest. As she looked on her mind wandered back to a day spent at the Burrow a few months after the battle at Hogwarts.
Hermione was helping Charlie clean up after dinner one Sunday night. Charlie was doing the dishes and Hermione drying and putting them away. Hermione turned to back to the sink after putting a bowl in the cabinet and just as she faced him Charlie splashed water at her.
"Charlie!" Hermione squealed.
His only response was to splash her again.
"Charlie!" Hermione chastised him this time. "You're getting me all wet!"
At this Charlie started laughing and Hermione gave him a scathing look as if to say that wasn't what she meant. He splashed her a third time and at this she started to fight back. She hit him with her towel and he continued to splash her. Hermione pushed him out of the way and splashed him with his own dish water. They continued to splash and playfully shove each other out of the way until Molly walked in.
"What is going on in here?" she demanded.
Charlie and Hermione immediately stopped what they were doing. They glanced sheepishly at each other and then at Molly.
"You two have dirty dish water everywhere!"
Charlie and Hermione looked to each other, then to Molly, then back to each other. Before Molly knew what was happening the two cohorts were splashed water at her.
"Charlie Weasley!" Molly yelped as she ran from the room.
"Just finish up the dishes you two!"
The sight of Mrs. Weasley running from the room made Charlie and Hermione double over with laughter. Hermione was imitating Molly fleeing the onslaught of water, to which Charlie could barely stand he was laughing so hard, when she slipped on some water on the floor and started to fall. Using his lightning fast Dragon Keeper reflexes Charlie caught her before she could hit the floor. Hermione looked up to thank him and realized how close they had become. Neither spoke as they looked into one another's eyes.
After a long moment Hermione came to and took a step back to distance herself from his brilliant COLOR eyes.
"Thank you," she said, though she could barely find the breath to get the words out.
"No problem." He replied, equally as breathless.
They stared at each other for a moment longer. When Charlie reached up and tucked a piece of flyaway hair behind Hermione's ear she came crashing back to reality and the two went back to finishing the dishes. Each unaware of the smile on the other's face.
Charlie and Hermione became very close after that night. Charlie was the only person who didn't treat her like a china doll that would break if you left it alone by itself for more than a moment. To Charlie, Hermione was the only one he could talk to that didn't try to avoid talking about Fred. The two would often hide way together and share memories of Fred. Charlie talked about his childhood memories while Hermione told him stories of Fred at Hogwarts and when she had visited him in Diagon Alley.
Charlie stayed for the anniversary of Fred's death and the battle. A week later, however, he had to leave and go back to Romania. Hermione had become very close to Charlie over the past few months and was reluctant to see him go. The whole family was gathered to say their goodbyes before he left. Charlie hugged each member of his family, saving Ginny for last. He even hugged Harry, who had been accepted as a part of the Weasley family even though he hadn't yet proposed to Ginny. Saying goodbye to Hermione was the hardest part for Charlie, even though he would never admit it even to himself.
Charlie looked to Hermione, but he couldn't see the sadness in her eyes. She walked up to him and opened her mouth but before she could say anything Charlie grabbed her hand and pulled her in and hugged her fiercely. Hermione was stunned for a moment but then she recovered and hugged him back just as hard. Too soon they both took a step back and just looked at each other. They both looked at each other with the same intensity and longing.
"Write to me," she said. "I want to know that you got there safely."
"I will," he replied. "I promise."
As Ginny watched her brother and the girl who was like her sister she suddenly realized how close they had become and saw how they felt about each other. She was also aware that neither one knew it or would ever admit it. They were both too stubborn to ever say anything.
Charlie looked around at his family one more time, then turned, and left.
Charlie had written to her as soon as he got back just like he promised. And now, eight years later he was visiting one again. Hermione hadn't seen him since the day he left. Despite the fact that they owled at least once a week it wasn't the same as seeing him in person. As close as they had become in that year after the war they had become closer and closer as the years went on and they continued to talk. He had become the person that she trusted more than anyone else in the world. He knew everything about her and she about him. Even still, Hermione was terrified to see him again after so many years.

© Copyright 2014 lyshaaaa17 (lyshaaaa17 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1971112-Dancing-In-the-Land-of-Dragons