*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1974168-A1-Romantica-Lesson-A-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Other · Adult · #1974168
Lesson A1 Romantica Part 1
Pick two characters you are going to become intimate with for the next six weeks. Name them and give them some background information.

The following “Personals” appeared in the Newspaper of a large State University.

Charles Dubois:

My name is CD. I’m six feet tall, with sandy hair and freckles and weigh one hundred fifty lbs. I’m thirty-two, have college degrees in computer and political science and work for a Fortune 500 company. I’ve a slim athletic build, love to run and play racquetball and enjoy watching collegiate and professional sports. While confident on the job, I’m quiet by nature, and admit to nervousness around women. I’m interested in a girl seeking a long-term relationship. Ideally it’s someone who can make me laugh, is into physical fitness and has an educated and inquiring mind. Cooking skills are a definite asset. I can be contacted at (541) 254-6832.

Edith Sloan:

My Name is ES. I’m five foot nine and weigh one hundred twenty pounds. I’m twenty-nine with a masters degree in Sociology. Currently I’m in advanced studies, working on my doctorate. I’m strong willed, opinionated and don’t suffer fools. I’m seeking a man who is personable, outgoing and self- confident. Someone who can sooth my fretfulness, and appreciate the many fine qualities I bring to a relationship. Qualified candidates may contact me at (541) 254-2136.

Write a mini character profile [2 paragraphs] for each character, from their own point of view.

(1) Charles is ordinary looking, smart and career oriented. His personal life is lonely and he has reached a stage where he feels a compelling need to find somebody nice to settle down with. He has decided to respond to Edith’s “Personal” in the University Newspaper. While a bit nervous and not sure they are a good fit he calls her up anyway. He is drawn by her brash confidence and self-esteem.

(2) He asks her to meet him at a local sports bar and have dinner… that he will be standing at the bar at eight o’clock wearing a green sweater. She agrees to meet and hangs up.

(1) Edith noticed Charles “Personal” in the University paper and dismissed him as an unlikely candidate. She was surprised when he called and asked for a date. She was on the verge of declining when taken by a sudden curiosity decided to see him in person.

(2) She’s very controlling and decides to arrive early, dressed conservatively, and incognito take a booth and check Charles out. If he’s not her type she intends to walk out.

Things to think about in regards to your characters:

How do they know one another? They saw each other’s personal in the University Newspaper.

What attracts them to each other? Charles is drawn by Edith’s confident self-image. Edith likes the sound of Charles’s voice even though she doesn’t expect them to hit it off.

Is it an instant attraction? Charles is intrigued and Edith is curious.

Do they have a love/hate relationship with sexual undertones?

At this point they are not yet far enough along to have such defined feelings however, it’s my intention to show both love/hate and a sexual attraction.

Remember this is self-discovery, not how one sees the other, but how they each see themselves.

I think the “Personals” and the two paragraphs on each show character and how they see themselves. As the class progresses they will reveal more to the reader.

What makes them tick?

Again I intend to show more of that as we get into the class. I envision Edith as the more outgoing and Charles under the sway of her stronger and controlling personality
© Copyright 2014 percy goodfellow (trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1974168-A1-Romantica-Lesson-A-1