*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1976267-Review-of-Forevermore-Lenore
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Review · Other · #1976267
Review for Prompt 8.
Review of Forevermore, Lenore


I liked this short-story and the reference to Edgar Allen Poe.

Impression: 

Although the story could be in the present, I got an immediate feel for a past century.  This is reflected in the words boarding house (there are probably some still around), and the words wont, and twas.

We believe Lenore to be deceased because James has told us so from the first sentence. Very good lead in to the story.  We also believe he is watching an illusion of Lenore reading her tombstone with the pet ravens.  How does he know they are pets?

When James is back in his room, there is a knock at the door; upon opening he sees a raven.  Assuming it was the raven knocking, I would have used a pecking sound at the door.

The fourth paragraph takes a rereading to fully understand (for me).  The sentence: I let him out the front door of the boarding house, and never stopped to wonder at that moment how he entered in the first place. I don’t think he would have stopped midway down to wonder how the bird got in.  Maybe—never thought to wonder how it entered.

After the raven guides James back to Lenore, we realize he is a vampire and did kill Lenore as he confesses. His love for her is overwhelming and we feel Lenore’s sorrow, we still don’t know she is an undead until she smiles for James.

The reader assumes she has fangs, as well. 

James seems delighted with this discovery; however, it is a mystery if Lenore cares as much for James.  He has all the power.

We really don’t know what happens later, so it makes the reader wonder.  Did James and Lenore live with eternal love?  Or, could this be where the story takes a brutal turn and Lenore flees from James.

It’s a cliffhanger. 

I like the story as a whole.  Now, I want to know more.

Four Stars.






© Copyright 2014 Endless Enigma (charmed1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1976267-Review-of-Forevermore-Lenore