*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1977504-Untitled-Project
by tchurt
Rated: 13+ · Non-fiction · Other · #1977504
An unwelcomed task in a certain occupation

By far, the hardest part of the job. I don't care how many times you make that walk, and I have made many of them, it will never be routine. At first, when I performed this task, I walked slow and patient. Then, I tried brisk and deliberate. Over time, my method has become direct and rather callous. As I said, it is the hardest part of the job. Just do it and get it over with. Straight to the point.
As I approach the door, I hear a dog barking on the other side. I can hear people scampering about and talking, after being awakened by a visitor in the night. The lights come on as I get to the door. I ring the doorbell. I stand waiting. As I await the opening of the door, my mouth becomes dry and beads of sweat have developed deep inside my hairline. After what seems like minutes but are only a few seconds, the door opens.
At first sight, you can see confusion upon their face. Why is he here? What does he want with me? However, as soon as I remove my hat, the confusion turns to concern. By my show of respect, they know something is wrong.
"Yes officer. May I help you?" the man who answered the door asks.
"Sir", I reply, "I am Sergeant John Borneo with the State Highway Patrol. Are you acquainted with a sixteen year old young man named Kavanagh Shaw?"
"I am his father. Is he in some sort of trouble? What has he done? Is he alright?"
This is the moment, where you have to tell yourself that you are here to do a job. As cold as it may sound, it is best to get right to the point. "Mister Shaw, I'm afraid I have some bad news. I am here to inform you that your son has lost his life in an automobile collision."




© Copyright 2014 tchurt (tchurt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1977504-Untitled-Project