*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1978082-The-Carousel-Ride
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1978082
Written for The Writer's Cramp
Prompt: My favorite ride at a carnival or amusement park is the carousel.*Delight*

Write a story or poem involving your favorite ride.



The full moon hung high and bright in the evening sky, illuminating Anna’s way as she slipped carefully through the bent iron bars. A security guard passed by just as she ducked behind a large potted plant, the beam of his flashlight narrowly missing her sneaker-clad foot. She waited patiently until he had left the area, then crept out from her hiding place.

Silence surrounded her as she surveyed the area. Her objective loomed in the distance, shadow and promise across the dark expanse of pavement.

Stealthily, Anna made her way across the amusement park, her eyes darting to and fro, and her ears keen for any sounds.

At last, she reached her goal. Stepping carefully up onto the platform, Anna wove a slow circle through the fantastical creatures perched there, caressing a back here, tracing her hand over a snout there. Eventually, she made her choice.

Looping a leg over the stationary tiger’s back, she slid into place. Calm, peace, silence. Anna closed her eyes and listened to the gentle night sounds.

No cacophony of music, or voices screaming with glee.

No dizzying movement of the mechanism hurtling around in circles, animals bobbing up and down as they spun.

Just the bittersweet memory of another carousel in another place, at another time. Her grandfather, oiling the gears to keep the machine running smoothly. The scents of popcorn and cotton candy, mingling with the salty tang of the ocean on the other side of the boardwalk.

Those days were gone. Her grandfather was gone.

And now, this really was the only way she could tolerate the carousel.

After a short while, Anna slid from her tiger’s back, giving him a grateful pat before disappearing into the night.


287 words
© Copyright 2014 Merry Mumsy (amygdalia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1978082-The-Carousel-Ride