*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1979171-Reborn-From-Ice
Rated: E · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1979171
Second Chapter of Reborn From Ice
Chapter 2:
Soon, darkness fell across the land and the stars illuminated the night sky forming the same constellations that have been scattered across the vast darkened sky since the dawn of time, and yet, they looked just as beautiful as the first time I ever saw them. Then again, I don't remember anything before the ice, so it's like my first time seeing the night sky all over again.
As I sat in the cave, I decided that I was tired of waiting. I slowly stood up and made my way out of the cave and towards the nearest woods. Upon entering the woods, I came across two somewhat small, gray stones. I gathered the stones and continued on my journey in search of firewood. Soon, I came upon some sticks lying on the ground. I leaned down and hoisted them over my shoulders and headed back to the cave.
When I returned I put the wood on the soil and took the stones and began to strike them against each other. The sparks seemed to dance as they bounced off the wood. Then, the sparks stuck to the wood and created a fire. The flames seemed to dance the age old dance and the shadows it cast across the cave walls joined in as well. Even though the light emanating from the fire was dim, it was just the right amount to light the cave and it also came in handy for keeping warm. I mean...I really don't think that it would be very comfortable or appealing to freeze to death. Just saying.
Soon after, I curled up next to the crackling embers and closed my eyes listening to the wolves howl, the wind whispering, the leaves rustling, and the eerie hoot of nearby owls hoping it will lull me to sleep. A lot of passing thoughts and worries demanded my brain's attention and denying me my sleep. Not only that, my stomach was eating my spine and kept thinking of a nice juicy stake. It was to late to go hunting for food, and with no light except the moonlight to light your way, I knew I was sure to hurt myself somehow. You see, I recently discovered I'm "Miss graceful" and managed to trip over ten trees, fifteen boulders, and I had to have slipped thirty plus times over the sheet of ice I encountered about 3 miles from the cave. Yea....I'm just SO graceful aren't I??
As I laid curled up next to the hearth, I was finally lulled into a dreamless sleep after I finally managed to clear my chaotic mind. Little did I know the that a strange dark figure lurked behind the trees watching me......
© Copyright 2014 PeanutButter23 (peanutbutter23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1979171-Reborn-From-Ice