*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1979624-Within-Shouting-Distance-Query
Rated: 13+ · Letter/Memo · Fantasy · #1979624
The query letter for my fantasy manuscript.
Maria longs to see her mother, even hear her name whispered.  But names have power.  Grandfather rarely mentions Mother, even during the bright afternoon sunlight.  Longing for answers—most especially why her mother is absent—Maria prods Grandfather who agrees to tell her his story, the true story.  A secret he has long held from her.  As Maria delves deeper into Grandfather’s story, she begins to search for connections to the past in the present.  Her journey brings her closer to the truth of who she is and what her name really means.  Once she uncovers that, she will have authority throughout the land.

Choosing his Name is just the beginning.  For Steven “Wolfhunter” deGaul, the journey to earn his Name starts the moment he leaves his village.  He may know his name, the villagers may know his name; but outside its bounds, he’s just a simple shepherd from a small farming village.  Driven by the desire to avenge its attack, he travels to the capital to train.  Betrayed by a friend and forced into exile, Steven detests hiding and loneliness.  Returning to the capital, he defends the queen and kills the man behind the attack on his village; but discovers revenge isn’t what he longs for after all.

Within Shouting Distance takes place during a civil war--a war of succession--it follows Maria Trydo's attempt to uncover the truth about her origins, her family, and her destiny and the adventures of Steven "Wolfhunter" deGaul as he attempts to earn his Name, avenge his village, and follow the path fate has for him.  Maria Trydo lives on her Grandfather's farm in the summer and with her nanny and tutor the rest of the year.  She is carefully cultivated into a courtly lady because she is the lost heir.  Steven deGaul's past intertwines with Maria's present.  Steven saves her grandmother's life and becomes associated with the throne.  He protects Maria by pretending to be her grandfather.

Within Shouting Distance is a 78,000 fantasy adventure aimed at young adults with series potential.  It is a story within a story like Princess Bride, features a classical world similar to Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time, and has Judeo-Christian themes along the lines of C.S. Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia.

I graduated from college with a degree in Creative Writing and have since spent my time working to improve my craft through courses, seminars, interviews, and exercises.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
© Copyright 2014 SwordntheStone22 (benk22 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1979624-Within-Shouting-Distance-Query