*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1981993-Molly-in-the-Rainbow
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1981993
My personal experience with a leprechaun!
Molly in the Rainbow

Molly in the Rainbow
1159 words


This is going to sound strange.  I know, it even seems unbelievable to me.

It had just rained and there was still a misty fog out, so I took the hooded cape that my grandmother had given me, from the peg by the door, and went for a walk.

Then, I remembered a meadow, and experienced an overwhelming, urgent need to get there.  FAST!  The closer I came to it, the more driven I felt. I ran; faster than ever before.

Suddenly, it appeared, the meadow. And right in the middle of it was a double rainbow.  I laughed out loud. It was so incredibly bright that I had to shield my eyes.

In the little open spaces between my fingers, I could see her. And when I pulled my hands apart, she was gone. I did it again, shielded my eyes and peeked through my fingers and I saw her.

She was doing the same thing back at me. She was as confused as I was.  I could tell.  She was pink and dressed in a frilly pink dress and long pointed, pink shoes and a PINK cape just like my green one.  We were both hooded, so we blended well with our own dimensions. It was a fluke that we both were here, looking in the rainbow at the same time. Wow, just think about it, what were the chances of that, huh?

I did it again. I moved a wee bit closer and there she was, looking back at me, doing the same thing,
A leprechaun! A real honest to goodness leprechaun!

"I can see you!" I yelled at the top of my lungs startling her and me too, really.

"Well, you don't have to yell. I see you too human."

"I thought leprechauns dressed in green."

She laughed and rolled on the ground kicking her pink feet in the air.

"No silly, boys and men wear that to hide in the shamrocks."

"I never knew that."

"How could you? This has never happened before. Not that I know of.  What are we going to do?"

"What do you mean?"

"When a leprechaun meets a human, somebody has to pay the karmasmirer."

"What do you have? Gold?" I asked hopefully.

"No, what do you have?" She snarled back at me.

"I can sing you a song." And I began singing a ballad that just popped in my head.

"NO!" She screamed. "NOW you really made a mess of things!"

She pushed me so hard that I landed inside the pink rainbow belt.

"You're coming with me," she said linking her left arm with mine.

We were the same size now, but she appeared so tiny when I first saw her. Her hair was white as vanilla ice cream, and she wasn't as young looking as I thought she was when I first saw her. Now that her hood was down, I saw she wore a pink hat with a pink flower bouncing around on top.

"My name is Molly. How do you do?"

"Hi," I smiled. "Evelyn is my name."

"Good we can use that."

"How?"

"Evelyn means light.  We are going to need every element possible to make it all balance again."

"I am confused. What needs to balance again?"

"You saw me first, you spoke to me first, and then you gifted me first.  Don't you see how that off-balances everything?
The universe must balance perfectly. Now you have made a ripple, and we should hurry to straighten it out before the fabric is damaged beyond repair. “Oh my gosh! " She said, as she pulled me along mumbling all sorts of snippets of incantations and words I had never heard before.

A brave deed must be done.
Another song must be sung.
What's that third thing?  What's that third thing?  I can’t remember."
A trip to Ireland
Is that it?
On a trip to Ireland
A brave deed must be done.
Another song must be sung.
Before a wrong can be undone


Yep, that's it.

Ok, now listen to me.  We are connected. For every action there will be a reaction. What you did was against the natural ebb and flow of the perfect world."

"I am sorry. I didn't know." I spoke.

"How could you? You are human after all."

Then, I thought I saw a twinkle of something like a secret joke or a glimmer of pride. She made me smile looking at her.
She smiled too.

Our arms were still linked and locked when she began to spin. I felt as if I was on a merry-go ride going faster and faster until I had to pinch my eyes closed and let my head lean to the right. As we began slowing down, I opened my eyes to see green, green, green and greener. I found myself standing on the banks of a stream near a clump of shamrocks,
I reached into the stream for a drink when I noticed a reflection of my face. I looked like a leprechaun.

"Molly? What happened to me?"

"Don't worry, Lassy, you need to be brave now.  I'm counting on it."

Then, poof, into a rainbow burst, she disappeared.

What was I to do but wait?  I wondered how long I would stay unnoticed when Molly reappeared by my side. She put a finger towards her head, linked arms with me and once again spun us away.

"Where did you go?" I asked when we finally slowed down.

" I had to go to Ireland. Don't worry you are almost home now, feel free to sing me another song?"

"I can't think of one."

"What?" she asked, tapping her pointed pink toes. "Sing!" She ordered. and not in a nice tone either.

Nothing came to mind.

"Oh prerrrrty Pleaeaease!" She squealed, looking as if she had swallowed a frog.  Oh, she was literally hopping mad, boiling up with anger.

"Come on already."

"What's the big deal?  I asked. I kind of like hanging out in this rosy world with you."

Then, she hung her head and cried.

" Don't cry. Just give me a little time to think of something."

"Time! "She looked excited. "That's it. There is a fourth element. In the 'Nic of time.' That's what I forgot."  She scratched her head and poof again she was gone leaving me alone inside the rainbow.

I liked it there, a lot. It was the perfect balance. That thought jolted me out of my comfortable, blissful, rosy state of mind to see Molly in the rainbow band of purple. She was looking through her fingers like the first time I saw her. I waved and smiled. She motioned for me to sing. A song came to mind. I began singing “Somewhere over the rainbow," the Judy Garland version. The next thing I knew, I was standing in the meadow alone. Leprechaun and the rainbows were gone.  Weird Huh?



© Copyright 2014 Simply Me (evelyncase at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1981993-Molly-in-the-Rainbow