*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1982281-Austin-Parks
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Drama · #1982281
Just a rough draft of the first chapter, kinda short, I know. :)
My hand drifts instinctively to my cheekbone. A bruise is starting to form already, the left half of my face puffy, my eye swollen shut.

I look down at my arms, where more bruises have appeared. Nasty yellow and green bruises, that cover my forearms and biceps.

Biting my bottom lip, I roll down the sleeves of my jacket and flip up the hood. I pick up my backpack and trot downstairs.

Looking around, the house is empty as far as I can see. I'm guessing my brother Zach is off working some odd job, and Robin and Tess are at school. My dad's probably off at some bar or passed out on some chicks couch. My mom... well who knows where she is. Grabbing a water bottle and a banana, I head out the door. It takes me about twenty minutes to get to school, and by then I'm completely soaked from the icy sheets of rain coming down. Checking my phone, it is only 7:20, meaning I still have ten minutes till class starts. I walk to my locker and unlock it.

I set my unneeded books into my locker, then start to pull out my science book when someone slams the locker door shut. The person grabs my hood and yanks me back so I'm facing them.

“Hey, Austin. What happened to your face? Your Daddy go crazy again?”  Ryan Lane, the school bully, says in fake sympathy.

I struggle against his strong grip, but he only tightens his fingers around my wrist.

I hesitate before saying, “Hey Ryan! How are you?”

“Well I'm doing fine and mighty. How are you?” 

I push my  brown hair out of my face. “Swell.”

“Good, good.”

He just stares at me for awhile, his lips in a straight line.

“W-what did you want?” I ask.

“Nothing.”

“Can I go then?” I ask, adjusting my backpack.

“I don't know, can you?” Lane snaps.

I wiggle my fingers around, but my muscles are spasmy and shaking.

“Just stop trying. You're too weak.”

I take a shaky breath, then start to say something real intelligent.

Before I can form the words on my lips, Ryan shoves his hands on my chest, pushing me into the lockers. My head hits hard, and I slide to the ground, my vision turning blurry.

I hear footsteps and Ryan nudges my leg with his foot. “What's wrong Parks? Can't get up?”

I take a deep breath and force myself to my feet, but not to fight. I calmly brush myself off, pick up my backpack and start walking towards my classroom.

Ryan grabs my arm. “Where do you think you're going?”

I turn sharply on him. “To class, Ryan.”

He smirks. “You're staying right here 'till I'm done with you.”

I fold my arms in a sassy way, trying to look intimating. No such luck. The bully pulls his fist back and socks me in the mouth.

The taste of blood greets me immediately as I stumble back from the blow.   

“Hey! Hey! What on God's Green Earth is going' on here?” The school monitor yells, slurring his R’s.

Ryan puts on a innocent face. “I dunno Mr. Morrison. I was just asking my good friend Austin here what happened to his face.”

Rolling my eyes ever so slightly, I mumble a few words, then make my way to class, sliding into my seat and resting my head  in my arms.

“Alright class!” Mr. Ling chirps, clapping his hands together in an annoyingly cheerful attitude. "Today we are learning about cells! Isn't that just fabulous!?”

I let my head flop back, groaning inwardly.

He blabs for awhile. I try to listen, but his high, squeaky voice is giving me a headache.

“Mr. Parks, do you know the answer?”

“Huh??” I mumble.

“The answer that Miss Lily so wondrously pondered aloud.”

My eye twitches a little. “I-uh-”

Mr. Ling cups his hands around his mouth and whispers, “it's on the board.”

Squinting, I try to read the board. “I-i can't read it” I grumble.

“Well then, I suggest you get some eye-glasses, hmm???”

“Yeah.” I mumble, ignoring the snickers. I stretch my fingers across the desk and exhale, hoping the day will go quickly. Unfortunately, it's the exact opposite. A forty-five minute class feels like three hours, and by the time it's lunch, my eyelids are drooping and my brain exploding.

Shouldering my backpack, I head to the cafeteria, walking over to the empty table in the back of the room. I people watch for awhile, then getting annoyed of that, I let my forehead rest on the table, wrapping my arms around my head.
© Copyright 2014 Smiley1456 (smiley1456 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1982281-Austin-Parks