*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1984407-A-Simple-Life
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Contest Entry · #1984407
Finding a passion in life. Entry for Creative Nonfiction Contest.
Alfred sighed, Just another day at the office.

He glanced at the clock on his computer and sighed in relief. Lunchtime, thank goodness! I need to get out of here and actually take a full hours lunch. Working hours were the normal 8-5 with an hour lunch, but usually he was so busy that a quick bite to eat was all he could manage.

Not today, he told himself, besides it's not like I get paid for any time over 8 hours a day anyway.

He scoffed, The perks of salary. Before the phone could ring again or an urgent email was sent to him he quickly made his way out of the office.

The clean, brisk air felt good on his skin. The sun felt invigorating. He enjoyed walking past the shops that lined the streets downtown. He couldn't help but feel a bit envious of the shop owners. They were always happy and in love with their jobs.

I wish I went to work with that kind of attitude, but I am making decent money, so I can't complain that much. He rounded a corner and came to a stop in front of an empty shop. Alfred stared at the big red and white letters, FOR RENT.

Imagine it! Suddenly he couldn't pull his thoughts away from the possibilities. His heart fluttered.

A quaint and comfortable coffee shop with a small bakery attached? He could smell the roasted coffee, the fresh bread rising and he could hear the people laughing, talking and just enjoying themselves.

I could see myself here, happy. Serving coffee and preparing delicious pastries. Living a simple life. He smiled to himself and shook his head. Once he sat down to lunch at a small sandwich restaurant more thoughts flowed to him.

I could wake up everyday and look forward to going to work! But how would I do this? It is so out there, a crazy idea. Alfred shook his head again.

It's a fantasy, something to lighten my mood because something like that would be to good to be true! But...what if? What if i just did it? Alfred considered the possibilities as he finished eating his grilled turkey sandwich. He watched curiously as small droplets of rain hit the restaurant windows and smiled to himself.

Well that figures.

He gazed at the rain and felt both at peace and at war with the world.
© Copyright 2014 Wanderer (fergirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1984407-A-Simple-Life