*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1984859-Rubens-Retreat
by DB1
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1984859
Set during Napoleons disastrous 1812 invasion of Russia
The night seemed on fire' a massive dome of red covered the once mighty City of Moskowa. If a person could've looked down on that scene they would have seen hell. Streets and Streets of burning houses with black figures skittering like shadows as they ran from the scorching flames.
Squad leader Corporal Alexis Ruben was on the South Arched gate leading away from the raging City. His Company of the 30th Line Regiment under Captain Paol had sentry duty that night. As Ruben and Paol looked in awe at the horrific scene unfolding in front of them they had no knowledge of how Russian subversists had emptied the City Prison of all in-mates who now drunk on vodka had set fires around the packed streets and as a swirling wind gave rise to this sea of fire something moved and again if you were above it would look sepentlike a dark long snake racing for the South gate. An Emperor had shook himself out of stupor and now time was everything.
Ruben became aware of the ground shaking beneath his feet and shouted up at the men on the wall "What can you see Alain?" Before a reply could be given four horsemen clattered to the front of the gate all four were full Generals of the Empire "Open the gates!!!" "In the name of the Emperor!"
Paol swiftly gave the order and turned to salute the officers one rode up to the two men and growled "What a total cock up! That little shit will be the death of all of us!" "Make sure this gate stays open for the next few hours""And no F******g questions" General Delaborde' Ruben recognised him from many of the big parades he was what many called an Emperor's man devoted beyond duty and trusted in battle to reach those dizzy heights required luck and guts in equal measure his authority brooked no argument. Ruben without thinking asked the question aloud "Is he coming here mon general?" The blue eyes of Delaborde rested on Ruben for a moment taking in the battered appearance of the uniform and Ruben's stained tired face he also saw the clean musket slung and short sword on his belt at twenty-five Ruben was a veteran and it showed. The general shrugged "You'll see in a minute boy!"
© Copyright 2014 DB1 (littledb1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1984859-Rubens-Retreat