*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1985336-Film-Review-1
Rated: ASR · Critique · Opinion · #1985336
A film Review of "We need to talk about Kevin" written for Rising Stars
A review of the film: "We need to talk about Kevin".


“We need to talk about Kevin” is the mysteriously named drama based on the 2003 novel of the same name by Lionel Shriver. I say “drama” although honestly the film combines elements of many genres – thriller, horror, art house – even erotica perhaps.

The 2011 film, starring Tilda Swinton, John C Reilly and Ezra Miller (as Kevin) and tied up with a bizarre yet somewhat haunting soundtrack by Jonny Greenwood (of Radiohead fame) makes for a compelling couple of hours’ viewing.

The story primarily centres around a middle class American woman and the odd relationship she has with her son, Kevin. Kevin is an unplanned, difficult baby who grows in to a problematic child and a disturbing teenager. Although Kevin has a relatively normal relationship with his father (Reilly), he never really bonds with his Mother and constantly confronts her with his challenging and often frightening behaviour. This culminates in disastrous consequences as Kevin commits his final act of revenge on the world he has never truly felt a part of.

The film, directed by Lynne Ramsay and mainly seen from the point of view of Kevin’s mother (Swinton) is shot with an eerie lucid dreamlike quality to it which draws the viewer in straight away. Often known as a person with a relatively low attention span, I found my eyes glued to the screen, unwilling to be torn away for fear I might miss something which I would definitely want to see – especially at the start of the film where scenes switch from one point in time to another before it becomes clear where exactly the story is headed.

The dialogue in parts is minimal, but with such powerful visuals and a musical score whose jauntiness seems so at odds with what is happening it seems to intensify the trepidation, this is not necessarily a problem.

“We need to talk about Kevin” is, in its entirely, a powerful film with an equally powerful message centred around a controversial and disturbing – perhaps even upsetting topic. If you are looking for a tale of amusing bridesmaids, girls falling in love with the underdog or inspiring tales of young men travelling across the world to meet their idol then don’t bother renting “We need to talk about Kevin”.

However, if you happen to be the kind of person who would like to watch a film which is thought provoking, intriguing, visually astounding and pushes the boundaries of film genre then this could be your next Saturday night download…..


415 words
© Copyright 2014 ⭐️Jellyfish⭐️ (jennybowden at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1985336-Film-Review-1