*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1987019-WinterFall-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1987019
The third part of my short story "WinterFall". This is for two friends of mine.
Chapter 3:
Fire burns within

It was many days, but the guardsman had officially reported Lady Presley missing to the public. It was decreed that anyone who found her would be rewarded 100 gold pieces, 50 if she were dead. This decree had left a lot of people puzzled as to why the king would pay for the return of his deceased daughter. A rumour then came around that there had been a terrible argument between the father and daughter. This rumour had been started by a young kitchen lad known by the name of Rooster. Obviously, this was not his birth name, but he had been known by this name for many years. He became known as Rooster because one year, when the game and poultry hunters came back empty handed from a hunt, he suggested that they cook rooster in the place of their usual pheasant dishes. This was a major success and the king declared Rooster was to become his personal chef. As soon as word got out that it was Rooster was responsible for witnessing and spreading the events that had happened previously between the king and Lady Presley, he was to be punished. It was to be that Rooster was firstly publicly humiliated and executed. At noon the next day, Rooster's wrists and ankles were bound and attached to the reigns of a horse. For the next three hours he was dragged, wearing nothing more than a loincloth, around the town whilst being looked and laughed at. After the three hours were up, Rooster was taken to the town square where a royal procession were awaiting his arrival.
"I'm sure many of you are wondering why this man has been paraded around our town like a fool. To these people, allow me to enlighten you. This man, who goes by the name of Rooster, has spread a rumour which I'm sure many of you are already aware of. I'm here today to do two things. Firstly, I'm here to put this rumour to rest by saying that it is false. My daughter and I had no argument and, although she is currently missing, we still have a fine relationship." The king announced.
"LIAR!" Rooster shouted at the king, receiving a swift blow to the head because he did so.
"The second thing I am here for," The king continued, "Is to put this traitor to death."
Rooster had no idea of his fate and immediately started crying out for help.
"This man is to be put to death by Lord Andrew, the prince of Hunstdale."
Lord Andrew saw this as his signal to behead Rooster.
"With this blade, given to me by my father, I shall put this traitor to death for his crimes against your king!" Andrew cried out.
To this, Rooster made an attempt to break free. He seemed to forget that both his ankles and wrists were tightly bound. Lord Andrew saw this as attempt to flee and swiftly thrust his sword into the stomach of Rooster.
"May this be a lesson to those who conspire against the king!" Andrew said, assuming that he was justified.
Many onlookers who witnessed this public execution dispersed. There were a few who stayed on but over time, they too dispersed.
"I can't thank you enough for this deed Andrew," The king said to him on the way back to the castle,"Had it have been my responsibility, I would have done so."
"It is quite alright, your highness. I am happy to serve the king of my neighbouring kingdom."
After the royal carriage had returned to the castle and Andrew had returned to his room, he took off his chain mail plating and inspected a sharp burning pain in his abdomen. He looked in the mirror and saw something that, at first, startled him. After about 10 minutes of examining his pain, he started to picture how this could have happened. He then thought back to an old tale his grandfather had taught him. "In the ages of the dark prince, one child would be selected by the gods and chosen to carry the gift of light." his grandfather had told him when he was a small boy. Andrew had no idea how, but he knew from then on. He had been chosen. The sharp, burning pain he was feeling was a chance. A chance for him to control the only element of power known to man. Fire.
© Copyright 2014 Hacktivist Jack (hacktivistjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1987019-WinterFall-3