*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1987384-After-Midnight
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1987384
A girl who has trouble making commitments and a boy who won't let her go.
         As much as I didn't want to admit it... I was smitten. Head over heels. Completely love drunk. And it wasn't fair.
         I'm not a masochist, okay? I don't enjoy soul crushing disappointment (which was absolutely what was going to happen to me. The soul crushing disappointment, I mean) and I'd like to get through my first year of college with my ego intact.
         She was infamous as a heart breaker, a soul crusher if you will, and no man could survive under her scrutiny. We were ants and she was the dreaded magnifying glass on a sunny day. But much like the fluorescent zappy-things, none of us could resist her. Most of us mere mortals got burned. (HAH! All got burned.) She, the goddess, remained tall and unshaken by the unmitigated shame caused by her rejection.
         I walked down the silent hallway of Laketown Community College. College hallways may be full at times, but their flow is efficient and relatively silent. There can be absolutely no comparison made between these hallways and that of a high school. I slowly made my way to my next class. I was about 15 minutes early, just the way I liked it. First day back from Winter Break and I was ready to make good impressions.
         I entered room 114 and looked around for a seat. The seats closest to the heaters were already taken. I sighed longingly; the January weather was starting to get to me. I took a seat in the middle towards the back and started chewing on my pencil. I hoped this class wasn't going to be boring. How boring can Sociology be, right? I groaned to myself, looking at the course pack notes.
         "I've had this chick before. Dr. M. is actually really cool." A female voice to my left said and took a seat next to me.
         "Really?" I asked in disbelief while I looked up. Oh, God. It was her. Lana.
She smiled at me, raising an eyebrow. "My name's Lana. What's yours?"
I stared, then realized why her eyes were dancing with laughter. My mouth was hanging open. I snapped it shut. "My-" My voice cracked. Embarrassed, I cleared it. "My name is Sam."
© Copyright 2014 Heaven Luce (tastesofink at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1987384-After-Midnight