*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1988820-Kidnapped-in-Daylight
by brigxx
Rated: E · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #1988820
A little girl age six is abducted in daylight on the way to "school".
My life started out normal, I guess you would say. I lived in a small town that was close-knit. When I say my town was close knit built, I mean it. Everyone knows everyone, and thus everyone knows every one’s business. When my neighbor, Mr. Thompson and his wife had divorced after twenty-three years of marriage, and having three boys, everyone knew every juicy detail of that divorce. Even the children of the town did. When the couple was fighting, the whole town knew it. The whole town knew all the drama that happened, because we feed off it, and it never really happened. But, anyways, back to my life. I am the second oldest of four, my parents have been together sixteen years. They are happy, content and still in love too. I am the first boy and my father’s pride and joy most the time. But, my father’s life revolved around my little sister, Brooklyn. She could light up any room she walked into, and make anyone she met love her by the time she left. My mother had showed her off like a prize her whole life. She had entered her in every beauty pageant in the state she could, and even though my father sometimes disagreed, he lived to see her win the competition every time.  Even though my sister had all the attention from my parents, I still loved her. She was my best friend to me, and I always tried to be there for her through everything my parents had put her through. She was six years old, and she had gone through so much, and she didn’t let anything drag her down.

My little sister was everyone’s best friend, and favorite student in school. The teachers at her school raved about her personality and how she always tried to help every student in her class. She was the perfect child, and my parents were always so proud of her.  Enough! Enough! About Brooklyn, god dam nit. That was all you would hear out of my brother’s mouth half the time. My brother, Ryder had severe jealousy issues, and he hated how everyone poured attention on little Brooklyn. She was six years old, a damn child to him. Ryder always told our mother to let her be normal, to let her be a child, just like she let the rest of us be when we grew up. But, my mother told Ryder every time that Brooklyn was not like the rest, at all. She was different. She was special. Brooklyn never gave into that crap, and most the time, she told her mother to stop acting like her daughter was some sort of god, and that her brother needs to calm down and not shout such mean things to his mother. She wanted everyone to be happy, to be happy with their life. She was a peaceful six year old, and for her age, she knew far way too much. Our life was revolved around her, though, and yes it can get quiet annoying. My older sister, Rylyn was the one to know all about that. Rylyn was amazing in her special way, too. She was the number one swimmer in the high school, and every meet, she won. My sister was amazing too, and my parents had ignored that. They were never at a meet for Rylyn, and she swore it never bothered her because she was used to it, but I knew it bothered her. Every time she came home with a new metal, my parent never bothered to even care about it. Did they ask if she won? No way. They were too busy getting ready for the next competition they were throwing my sister into. It was always like that. Always about Brooklyn. It was sickening, actually.


Even know I hated that my parents didn’t pay attention to the fact that my sister always brought a metal home from her meet, or that my younger brother was hanging out with the wrong crowd, or that I was number one in honor roll three times in a row, I still tried to hold together the family the most I could. I kept my brother out of trouble the best I could, and I told my sister every time after a meet how amazing she was, and I always went to cheer her on when I could. I was the one holding the family together. Not my father and mother. They were too busy with my little sister. But, I still cheered her on too even though she was the reason my siblings and I were suffering. I told her how beautiful she was, and how if she didn’t win the competition, she was still number one in my eyes. I loved my sister for who she was, not what my mother thought she was. That was the difference between me and my mother, and even my father.  My life wasn’t perfect you see, but it was my life and I was used to the way it was. But, someone changed the way it was. So I will tell you just how they changed my life.

It was a Monday afternoon. My parents and Brooklyn had just arrived home from a weekend away at a competition that they had shoved my little sister into, of course.  “You won three out of categories, Brooklyn. Why didn’t you do better in that fourth one? It looked like you didn’t even try to win it at all.” I heard my mother say as I was walking down the stairs. “Oh, Marie, she can’t win everything, you know, honey. But, she’s perfect that’s all that matters.” My father responded to her. “But, perfect to us, isn’t perfect to the judges. She has to be more perfect, beyond perfect. Stan she didn’t even try to win that category!” She responded back. I saw my little sister’s eyes roll at my mother, and then said” Well, mother sometimes flaws are what makes a human, a human, mother. Be happy, we came home with some medals. Some girls come home with nothing, and then they suffer at the hands of their parents, or even cry the whole time after that. Then you never see their faces again.” She had said to my mother. My mother had just looked at my sister like she had ten heads. Where did she get this from? My younger brother had stumbled down the stairs, half awake and half asleep. He had been out partying all night, as I heard him stumble in at about five in the morning. Of course, I would never tell my parents this information. My brother had heard the whole conversation of course, so the smirk on his face was apparent to me, but not to my parents. We had moved to the kitchen, waiting for my mother to make us our normal breakfast that everyone grew accustom too in our family. My older sister had made her way downstairs looking presentable as always for school for the day. I welcomed her to the table with a smile like I always did every morning. I looked to my sister and said” So B, You ready for your big brother to walk you to your bus.” My little sister looked at me, and said” Well, um, I was thinking that I could just walk with my friends today. They sort of feel like a big brother hovering over me like some big guy is sort of creepy. It’s totally not cool, bro.” I looked at her like wow; my little sister thinks I’m not cool. Well, then. I thought for a second and then said” Okay, little sister. Since, I’m not so called cool; I’ll let you walk with your friends, but just for today.” She rolled her eyes at me, and then continued with her breakfast. My brother smiled to himself because it had meant his little sister was being a normal child to him, of course.  My mother handed Brooklyn’s backpack that was my little pony themed, and her lunch bag that was pink with her perfect lunch inside of it. We all knew what was in it too. I had grabbed my bag and my money and went out the door to catch the bus. I had not gotten enough money together as of right now to get my car, so I was still taking the bus as a junior.

It was embarrassing but, what was more embarrassing was getting a ride from my older sister to school. I had made it to my school, and through third period before the office called me from my class. I wasn't worried; I just thought it was about the field trip paper, because my father probably wrote in chicken scrap or something. But, no it was about my little sister. The one in my family that took the whole attention up from my parents, the one that went to beauty pageants, and was pushed to do things that she never really wanted to do, and the little girl that had known way too much for her age, but lived with a smile on her face every day. I had asked them what about her, but no one told me. They had a concerned, sincere and caring facial expression on their face, and just told me to go find my sister, and go home. That is what we did. When we got there, my brother was home, and the cops were searching my house. I found my mother in the kitchen crying and she looked not all there. I had sat next to her and put my arm around her but she shrugged it off and then it started.

“How could you just let your sister walk by herself? She’s six years old. She depends on you.” My mother screamed at me. “How could you fail her like that? She loves you, and you failed her. She depends on you to protect her, and you didn't do that.” She screamed at me again. I had picked myself up off of the chair and moved on to find someone else to get the answers from. I didn't understand at all, so I went to my brother who was crying. My god, my brother was crying. I looked at him, and he just shook his head at me. What the hell was going on? My sister and I just stared at everything, we had no idea what was going on. Both of us were at school. Soon, my father came in the room, and I asked the question that was burning inside of me” Dad what is going on.” I had said to my father. He took a gulp and then said” Someone has taken you’re…” He couldn't even finish the sentence, but I knew what he was trying to say... That’s when I found out…my little sister was kidnapped. My life had turned upside down; I fell to the ground and just cried. My little sister, my sweet little sister. She had just turned six, and she didn't even live her life yet. I stood up, and wiped the tears, and shouted about how I will find her and she will be coming home. I was determined to find my little sister and save her life. My father told me again and again that cops had it under control. But they didn't. Not to me at all. This creep could have come from anywhere. The number of competitions they pushed my little sister into, the ones my mother lived for every weekend. This creep could have come from outside of my town, or even inside of my town. He could be someone we see every day. I knew that, too. I ran outside and searched each way and every way. I wanted to know who saw her, who walked with her when I didn't. I knew that she was friends with the little girl that moved into the Thompson’s old house six months after they had put their house on the market. Her name was Ryleigh, and she was six years old. Her brother was in my class, and he had always made sure that his little sister made it to the bus, just like I did.


I had run over to the house, knowing that her mother was home taking care of their youngest, Greyson. He was only a year old. I knocked on the door several times before she came to the door. Her look on her face was so sincere. I looked straight at her and then said” Was your daughter with sister this morning”. She had thought for a moment and then shook her head. Then, who had my little sister walked with? Who was she talking about that didn't like me walking with her and her friends? That was who she always walked with when they met up outside her house. I had searched through my brain, and thought the boy across the street. His name was Charlie, if I remembered correctly. I ran across the street, dodging some of the traffic, and trying not to be seen. I slammed my fist on the door, and pounded more times that I should of. I had no idea if his mother was home, or not at all. I really didn't know the Carr family; I didn't even know the kids name was Charlie. When the door opened a man was on the other side of the door. He looked at me confused and then I heard him say” Can I help you, Son?”I had taken a breath of air, and caught my breath and said” Do you know if your son, Charlie had walked with my sister today, this morning to the bus stop?” He looked at me and said” Sorry, kid. I just got home from a business trip. Whoa what are all the cops doing in the neighborhood? What happened?” This man wasn't home while his son had gone to school; he had just gotten home from a work vacation, twenty minutes before my sister was kidnapped. He had no idea that this had just happened either, and honestly, just found out about the cops swarming our neighborhood. I had apologized for slamming my fist against his door, and bothering him and said thank you, even know he gave me no information. I had no idea who my sister had walked with, or meet up with, and why she turned me down to walk with her. That was what I was trying to swallow.


It was a hard thing to swallow honestly. I had no idea who would want to hurt my little sister. Even know sometimes her existence does get on my nerves, she’s my little sister. She has a smile that can lighten up your day in a minute. Her personality is always full of energy, and willing to help out someone else. One time she even decided to do bad in a category just because a girl in her competition was up all night and week crying because she couldn't get anything from the competitions, and her mother wasn't a nice mother to her, like ours is. That was my little sister though. She would do anything for anyone. So who would want to hurt this sweet little girl? She didn't even get to live her life yet! I had no idea what would happen to her, but I had to find her before something did happen to her. I frantically stared at the neighborhood that I had grown up from my neighbor’s porch. I still hadn't gotten the strength to move from that spot. I was so distraught that two of my own neighbors so far so nothing.. I was trying to swallow everything that was going on. Cops were moving one way, talking to one person, and the next. I just felt like they didn’t get it. My little sister was missing, and they weren’t doing enough to help her. I remember feeling calmly, I remember feeling the anger swell me up like a snake was tighten its body and strength around my body to eat me. I remember not feeling anything at all. Then it went pitch black for me.

My eyes had fluttered open slowly as a I had woken up from the nap that I had taken. When my eyes were stable and I was awake, I looked to see that I was placed on my couch in the living room. My mother was staring at me, and she was drinking her afternoon cup of tea. How could the woman drink her tea in the middle of this crisis? I looked at her and said” How could you fucking sit her and drink tea? Like everything is okay?” My mother’s mouth dropped wide open and said” How dare you speak to me like that! I am your mother!” I rolled my eyes at her, and slowly sat up and then looked at my sister and my brother who were standing on the other side of the couch. They smirked secretly at the fact that I was right. How could she sit here and drink her stupid cup of tea that is supposed to help your digestive system? But really, all we see it does is made her to stink the whole bathroom and house up daily. I had looked at my brother and sister and smirked at them as well. My mother looked at me, and said” They put an amber alert out for your sister, they have all the evidence they need to try to track down Brooklyn. They have contacted the recent pageant’s director to try to find out if any people there might be involved with this kidnapping of our sweet Brooklyn.” I looked at her, and said” Well, it’s not like amber alert really helps, because they don’t know who took her, what the car looks like, or anything. All they know is what she was wearing, and what she did look like. All we know is what she looked like, and what she was wearing and the kidnapper could have changed that already. How do they know? Did they think of that, huh?”

The sun was done shinning in the sky, and the moon was looking down on me with its big glowing shine that Brookie always admired so intensely. I wasn’t dealing with the fact that a six year old was taken in broad daylight very well, and my parents were catching on to that. I was dwelling on the details too much of the day, and how I could of done something differently. I thought of how I could have followed my sister to the bus, and watched her from afar, instead of giving her complete freedom. We always thought of my sister as older than she was, because she acted that way most the time. But, truth is she was still six years old, and helpless and defenseless. I should have been there. I should have been the big brother that is always protective, and not just let her go like that. But, I did let her go by herself. I was trying to let her be a normal child, just like my brother Ryder wants her to be.  As I sat on my sister’s swing in the middle of the night, I thought of all the things I could have done, but the fact is I can’t take the things back that I did. My sister was missing. I had to pull it together for her. I pulled myself off from the swing, and started to pace around my backyard. I could remember my little sister running around the other day in the yard in her favorite yellow dress. My grandmother had bought it from her when she came up from Florida to visit us.  My little sister was the only child in the world that liked that lady, because like my mother, she was miserable. But, worse, and old, and always smelled of stale cigarettes, and coffee. My grandmother was the kind of grandmother that came once in a while, and showered us with her fake love, and presents that she had gotten on her adventures.  But, my little sister always saw the good in that lady. The day we had drove down to Florida for my grandmother’s funeral was the day I saw the pity my little sister had in her eyes for her grandmother.  We were sitting in the car in the back seat together when she had all of sudden she had told me that granny told her that she was unhappy, and that her fifth husband left her. My little sister told my grandmother that she was loved by her grandchildren, and she told me that she remembered the look on her face. She explained to me that our grandmother looked shocked that Brook had said that.

I took it in the fact that she was surprised that brook knew that, but she told me after the funeral that Granny was even surprised we loved her.  That was my sister. She understood things that most people didn’t understand, and it was that reason that made my sister special, and unique.  I dragged myself into the house that I lived in my whole life, the house that screamed of things of my little sister. It dragged me down more and more, and it wasn’t even 24 hours after my sister was taken from my life.
My mother was sitting on the couch watching her stupid soap opera show and my father was in is leather chair reading the newspaper, which by his facial expression wasn’t making him very happy. He puffed out a sigh, and threw the paper down on the floor and then said” I can’t take this crap! It’s in my newspaper, it’s all around me! I can’t even begin to think that my daughter could be with some sick individual.” He stormed out of the room, and up the stairs. Our family was falling apart, but there was my mother watching her stupid show in the middle of it. I looked at her and started to watch her, and then I said” Do you even care that she’s gone?” I shook my head, and walked upstairs to my room.  The first day had gone, and the next day had come. The expectations of my sister coming home alive had just got shorter, and that was something I couldn’t even deal with. I had to deal with trying to go to school, though. I had begged my parents to skip the day, to stay home and wait to see if my sister returned. But, I got turned down on that one. The cops were doing their jobs, they were going to bring her home safe and sound was what my mother said to me before I shut the door in front of her face and took off down the street. I would skip school, even if they told me acting normal was the best thing. What the hell did they know?


I continued down my street, looking around for any clues that maybe the cops had missed. She was wearing her favorite my little pony shirt, and pink little leggings that matched the color of the ponies hair to a t. She had her hair braided, and her pink ribbons at the end of the braids, and she was carrying her backpack on her back, and lunch box in her bag. It was all like everyday sort of thing, to be honest. She had to always be matching, and everything had to be my little pony, or my sister would freak out. We all knew that too and actually the teachers did too. I had searched the barrels on the side of the road for a clue; I searched around the neighbor’s yard. I was desperate to find clues. Once I noticed where I had ended up on my walk, I gasped. I had walked to the edge of my town, next to the next town over to us.  I had made this walk once before when I was ten years old, and I was upset at my mother because she wouldn’t let me hang out with the older boys in the neighborhood. I could remember how the summer sun was beaming down on me, and how mad I was that day at my mother.  I was holding on to the anger for hours that I walked to the end the town’s line, and my father had to come pick me up because my mother knew I wouldn’t get in the car with her for days.  I had looked down at the dirt road path that goes to Old man Richard’s house. He was the last house in the town, and he was right on the line of the town’s. I noticed that there were some foot prints that didn’t match up with his household. He was the last family member in the town of the Davidson’s, and after this the house would be put up for sale. Why were there little footprints on the dirt road? I started to walk down the path, knowing what I would get myself into fully honestly. Mr. Davidson was known for being a cruel man, and once and you stepped upon his land, he would pull out his riffle gun at you. No matter who the hell you were, he would pull that thing out. 

I continued down the dirt road and stopped and hid behind some bushes once I saw the house. The red chevy truck was missing, and instead was a convertible red mustang in the driveway. I gasped, because of course, I was not used to this house having anything that nice and clean at all. I creped around in the woods trying to get a better look at what was going on in the house.
As far as I could tell, I could see Mr. Davidson standing in the living room with two woman and they were arguing about god knows what. Where the hell was his truck if he was here? I then heard the loud noise of a motor, and knew it instantly that it was his truck. I ducked in the bushes, and saw that a young girl was driving the car, and a young boy was in the passenger side.  After they passed out of sight of me, I took off. All I knew that something fishy was going on.

The sun had gone down before I returned home. I had done it again, it took me all day on this walk. I felt like I was on a trip though, a trip that was somewhere out of this universe. My mind was scrambled, my mind was empty, my mind ran at a million miles an hour, and it wouldn't stop. That was my day, this was all because my sister was gone. It's because she's six years old. It's because she was stolen from broad day light. It was because this is something that shouldn't happen to my family, my perfect little family, in my perfect we know everyone's business town. That's why, that's why I couldn't wrap my head around this. When I pushed the door open, I saw people sitting on my brown beat up leather couches talking to my mother and father. My mother was sipping on her fifth cup of tea pretending she even loved my little sister more than just something to show off, and my father was pretending he even cared what they were saying to them. No, no, no one of them cared, really. They were just sitting here, wasting away and doing nothing. While, my little sister could be anywhere. I know, I know, they're not officers, detectives, or the fbi, but for god sakes, they're her parents. Shouldn't they be doing a little something? No, you say they should be home incase someone calls? Someone that took my little sister would call my house? Oh, hell no. First they want to take her, then call MY house? That's not happening. I rolled my eyes and floated back into reality. I smiled, and acted polite like my parents taught me to act. The FBI was here, it was now official. They said hi to me, they asked me questions. I answered politely and honestly, like I was taught to do so.

My mother stressed manors as all of us were growing up. It was a good thing to give off the image that we were proper, and nice kids. It was the image to give off that we were the perfect family, even though we were not. My mother could not stress it enough to do so when around people. We were supposed to be the perfect family, but where we? Not even close. I looked at them, and sighed. I didn't want to be here. I didn't know where I wanted to be, unless it had to do with finding my sister. My baby sister was the light of the room, she was the star of everything. She was innocent, and sweet, and excited about everything she did. She was polite and concerned about people around her, more than my own mother was. She didn't care about winning, at all. She just cared about making her own mother happy, even if she wasn't. That was my sister, the girl they need to find. I stared back at the woman with dusty blonde hair, and grey eyes and said" I'm sorry. I'm just upset. I'll be in my room, doing my homework, if you need me." It was a way to get out of things, I knew that. I knew that more than any one else. Saying you were doing homework was a way out of everything in this house, even my sister knew that. She was smart, though. She never missed a beat. She never missed anything, that was my sister.






Chapter Two- Rylyn's POV
t was a normal day for our household. Waking up was slow for us kids, myself, my two brothers and my little sister. Getting dressed usually went without a hitch, but fighting to get all four of us into the bathroom never failed at all. My mother never paid any attention to it, though. She had learned to let us hatch out our own problems, or simply ignored us. Either way, she never intervened. She'd shout when breakfast was ready, because all else, she was determined to make that stay alive even if she wasn't there in any of our lives much more. I made my way down the stairs, and into the living room passing my father who was in his leather seat reading the morning paper, with the news channel on. He couldn't get enough of what was going on around the world, he had to have both sources right in front of him, even sometimes three. He was determined the world was going under fire, that it was ruined by our government, or something like that. I made my way to my normal seat, the one I had sat in since I was three years old.

My little sister was sitting at the table dressed head to toe in My little Pony stuff. She was insane, truthfully. But she was never afraid to show who she truly was, like myself. I was an athlete, a swimmer, a runner, a soccer player. I pushed myself into everything I could, and got straight honors every year, every semester. I was in three academic groups, and debate team and the school committee, and year book committee and prom club. I was filling my life with things to do, till I could get out of this hell hole I call a home. I am trying to get any scholarship I can get, because god knows my parents are going to help me. It's one thing I can't stand, how can you be all about one kid, when you have three others? First my older brother Bronx came racing down the stairs and into the kitchen. He huffed and puffed and then sat down. Bronx was a complicated person, and a very emotional one at that too. He was full of rage and anger, and put it all in his sports. Bronx was the captain of the football team, and he was one of the best in the state at that too. Bronx pushed himself to be the best football player, and the best at everything, especially being the oldest siblings.



Next came my brother, my twin brother to be exact. If there were ever twins so opposite you have met them. Ryder was exactly that, but he was my best friend, and the only person I could trust in this world. Ryder was quiet, drawn back from most people, and very selective of what he shared, and who he talked too. He didn't push himself into sports, or everything he could at school. He passed with great grades, just like I did. He was a genius, actually. But, he crammed his time into writing, reading and researching and learning everything he could. He was addicted to learning, and that was my brothers specialty. He sat down across the table from the seat he has been sitting in since he was also three years old.




© Copyright 2014 brigxx (brigxox at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1988820-Kidnapped-in-Daylight