*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1991550-Thank-You
by mxtvs
Rated: E · Poetry · Animal · #1991550
Story about the departure of a kid and his dog.
Thank You.

When families adopt a dog, they're adding on to their happy family. They're expanding the love that's already there. That wasn't the case for me. You were unexpected. You were a blessing. Christmas of 2004, I was very sick, I spent the holidays at my mom's boyfriends house. Walking up to his apartment, I heard barking, but I was too sick to even feel excited. I went straight to bed, and unexpectedly, you followed. You got on top of my bed, and started smelling me, your cold nose against my warm face. You cuddled beside me, either beside my legs or you slept by the bed. For once, I felt- loved. See, you were abandoned too. You know what it was like to not feel wanted by one of your parents. You were my protector, you were my family. You protected me from all things scary. You protected me from everyone who wanted to harm me. I was safe.

I loved that you didn't trust people. I loved how you were able to read people so well, a skill I wish I had. I loved that you were selectively social. It was like, I was watching a dog version of me. All you wanted to do was play with me, and be around me. You sensed my loneliness, you could smell my pain. Imagination can only do so much for a child. Here I was creating an imaginary world of my own, while my "real life" was falling apart. Family left, friends became distant- and the only thing that remained the same was your loyalty to me, and the endless love I felt from you.

Now here I am, about to graduate high school, a chapter in my life is just beginning, and yours is coming to an end. See they said writing memories about you would help, they said it would ease the pain. But I don't feel any different. I realize it's gonna take me a really long time for me to move on, for me to go a day without thinking about you. It's hard I mean I've known you since I was 7. And you're the only person, yes person, who knows exactly whats its like to feel abandoned, and not wanted. I just want to say thank you. Thank you for being my family, thank you for being my best friend, thank you for healing my wounds, although I didn't have a great one, or had one at all for that matter, thank you for being the one and only thing I loved about my childhood. I'll never forget playing with you, your teddy bear will remain by your bed. All of your toys will stay in a special place in my room. And our memories will forever be engraved in my heart. And for those who think i'm taking this too far, think about your family, your friends, and how lucky you are to have them by your side, and how you'll always have them. Your family to you, is how my dogs are to me. Love everyone as if its their last day on this earth. We only have a few days left together, and already I can't wait until we meet again. Please know that I love you, see you on the rainbow bridge, love.



© Copyright 2014 mxtvs (mxtvs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1991550-Thank-You