*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1991573-Three-Months-Plus
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Biographical · #1991573
Beginning of my ALS Experience
It has been over three months since February 12th, the day that Dr. Sandra Escandon diagnosed me with ALS and referred me to Dr. Jerry Belsh at the Neurology Center at Robert Wood Johnson in New Brunswick NJ. Dr. Belsh has spent years studying and treating ALS patients. He is a wonderful man, supported by a wonderful team including his nurse, Mary Ann Mertz, two lovely physical therapists Lynn and Shaloo, a dietician team that measures my ability to swallow, and a social worker, Debbie Schlossberg.

Through Debbie I found that my two years served in the US Army might entitle me to benefits as a Veteran. It seems there is a high incidence among ALS patients who are veterans, and that the Department of Defense recognizes it as a service connected disability. Debbie referred me to the Paralyzed Veterans of America, or rather referred them to me. Two wonderful women, Daisy and Heather, took up the cudgels and had the PVA sponsor my disability claim. It was approved, and very quickly. I am now considered 100% disabled by the VA.

This means our house will qualify for a grant to have it fitted for my handicap: bathroom, raising electric outlets, removing carpet for an eventual powered wheelchair, widening doorways, putting in ramps and other features that will help.

In addition, there are medical benefits including the possibility that my expensive pill which slows the degenerative process might be free, and just as important, a monthly check that will certainly help as my ability to work lessens.

I made tax season and expect to be able to do next season, perhaps with modifications. Dr. Belsh assures me my brain will only suffer the ravages of age, and not degenerate through ALS, and as long as there is some way to work with a computer and read, I will prepare tax returns. He puts it more elegantly: "The weakness in your arms and legs will not kill you, unless you fall under a bus."

I wear braces, called AFOs, on the legs from shin through toe and under my foot. They help me walk without a 'drop-foot' which tires me out. While I cannot drive with the brace on my right foot, I can drive by removing it and putting it back on when I reach my destination. I drove our RV to Lancaster and back home in late April without a problem. In September we intend to go to Maine again for most of the month, and I hope to be able to drive the distance. For the rest of the summer, we will be rebuilding our house!

This Sunday Pam and I will be participating in a walk in Long Branch NJ to raise money for ALS research. Our daughter-in-law Nicole and her two girls will also walk, making up Team David. If you would like to support our efforts, follow this link to donate......thank you and bless you.

http://web.alsa.org/site/TR/Walks/GreaterNewYork?px=4065008&pg=personal&fr_id=10...

You are all my dear friends; these piece will continue as long as possible. Bless all of you.

Through today, May 15th, our link has raised over $4,000 for ALS research!

Ocean Gate, May 15, 2014
© Copyright 2014 David J IS Death & Taxes (dlsheepdog at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1991573-Three-Months-Plus