*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1994350-The-Price
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Kasuzu
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #1994350
What is a fair price for a life changing deal?
I will never get away with this if I can't close the trunk. Trina blew the hair from her face and attempted once more to shove the legs out of the way and shut the trunk.  Seriously Jimmy - can't you just cooperate for once in your damn life!

As panic threatened to take over, she said "God, I know this isn't the best time to be asking for help, but please let me get this done!"

Taking a deep breath she tried pushing and twisting to no avail.

Trina froze as a voice from the dark said "Did you really think He would help you?  Really?  Praying to God to help you get rid of the evidence of your murder?"

Holding her breath she slowly turned to face the speaker. "Um, I don't know what you are talking about" she replied while moving more to the center to block the view of the trunk.

Trina could see a man, standing at the edge of the triangle of light spilling from the shed door.  Because the light was shining from behind him she was unable to see his face, but she could tell that he was wearing what looked to be a very expensive suit, and that he seemed to be in pretty good shape. 

"Who are you, and what do you want?" she asked.

"Who I am is not important, and it's not what I want, but what you need."  Shaking his head with a chuckle, he continued, "I still can't believe you would call out to God for assistance in concealing a murder and expect Him to answer.  He really doesn't work that way you know.  I, however, have no issue with assisting you as long as you can pay the price, but you need to decide quickly so we can wrap this up and be on our way before the police arrive.  You see, I happen to know that Mr. Johnson down the street heard the shots and called the police to tell them that he thought Jimmy had shot that sweet little Trina, so you only have about 2 minutes to decide if you want my help or not."

Looking around with growing fear, Trina asked the ultimate question, "What is the price?"

"Its just a small thing, and I won't even collect for another 57 years.  I want your soul.  I can make this all go away and get you on your way to that fresh start you so desperately want, but only if you agree."

Trina's thoughts were racing as she tried to decide if she could believe him.

"Tick tock - you have a little over one minute left." he said.

"FIne, you help me out and you can have my soul." Trina said.

There was a bright flash of light, and when Trina looked around, the man was gone, as was the car with Jimmy half in and half out of the trunk.  She looked around and turned to the house.  Running in the back door she saw a note on the screen.

Trina,
I have completed my part of the bargain.  The police will not show up, and you will never see Jimmy or that hideous car again.  On the table is a bank book and all the papers needed to restart your life.  Go away, make a new start, enjoy your new path, and I will see you in about 57 years.
--L


As she finished reading, the paper turned to dust in her hands.  Shaking, she turned to the table and picked up the bank book.  Tucked inside was a birth certificate, passport, and drivers license with her face and new name.  Laying those aside, she let out a gasp as she saw the balance in the bank book.  Sinking into a chair she tried to wrap her mind around what just happened, and decide what to do next.
© Copyright 2014 Kasuzu (kasuzu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1994350-The-Price