*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1994409-Iris
Rated: E · Chapter · Young Adult · #1994409
This is chapter one of my book prophecy you are introduced to Iris
Iris's body hit the ground with a loud thump.          
"Ugh" she ground loud.
"Want to quit?" Ramiel stood on his feet facing her with a large smirk across his face.
"If you don't stop with the smile, I'm going to come wipe it off your face." She took a deep inhale and rose back to her feet.
"I'd like to see you try too." Happy with the invitation Iris charged at the Ramiel. His sword launched up just in time to defend himself from hers. She danced around him, their swords clashing, making sounds of music. She took hold of his arm swiftly as she spun around behind him. The sword went up and pressed against his throat. Suddenly there was the sound of doors opening and in stepped their King.
"You got off lucky." She whispered into her friend's ear as she released him. The king strode over to the training arena where the majority of his army was. He stood in front of them tall and valiant. He was an enormous man, standing over six feet. His hair was long, silky, and silver. His wings spanned seven feet at least and were a dark, off white hue, with ragged ends. His daughter, Princess Nairobi, stood next to him in her silk white dress that hugged her tall slender figure. Her wings were small, cloud like, with soft edges, with bright golden locks that reached her waist in curls. Her gold eyes sparkled as she found Iris, a smile spreading across her face. Iris smiled back at her best friend.
They had known each other since they were born, beings as their parents have been best friends forever. Iris faced the King and Princess along with the other warriors. She was wearing her normal uniform which consisted of a silver skit and top that hugged her body, made from metal. A red ribbon was tied around her waist, and attached to her sword. Her shoes were knee high boots, with small angel wings wrapping around her thighs, representing the kingdom. Her wings were a bright white, long, but rigged at the ends, opposite of Nairobi's. Nairobi had always been made to be a queen, while Iris was meant to fight. She had been honored when asked to be Nairobi's guardian. The king had called her in on her eighteenth birthday to ask her. It was an offer she couldn't refuse; only few were ever chosen to be the King's daughter's guardian. Only the highest skilled were ever chosen for it. By being the Guardian and training everyday she had managed to become one of the most well respected warriors, even despite her small frame, and size of only five foot four.
Iris turned her attention back to the king, whose voice echoed in the halls as he spoke,
"Unfortunately the war is only getting worse. Today we received reports about three mass killings in different villages. The forests are only getting darker every day. Little on Earth is still light. The stairway to hell is rising and the royal family is going to be surfacing. More demons will begin to surface and destroy the humans and Earth, and many will rise alongside of the royal family. Today we will be picking an army to go down for the battle. We will decide the chosen ones for the mission after the dinner tonight. And as a reminder the humans are unaware of the assistance we give them. We wouldn't want to risk them knowing about our presence, it would only put them at more of a risk." The King nodded indicating that he was through speaking. All of the warriors bowed their heads towards their leader, and then stood up right as soon as he left the hall. Nairobi walked gracefully over to Iris's location.
"Oh Iris we must find you something exquisite to wear to the dinner." She smiled her brilliant white teeth at her friend. Iris nodded in disagreement.
"No Nairobi, you may wear something of that nature, I will stick with my uniform. I will be on duty remember?"
"You are my guardian and if I wish you to wear something fancier to my party then you shall." Nairobi looked up and saw Gabrielle. "I think Gabrielle is looking at you." Iris watched her friend's eyes and laughed.
"I highly doubt it. Why on Earth would Gabrielle be looking at me? He is most likely looking at you."
"Oh Iris do not be naive."
"Excuses me?" Iris's eyebrow raised in confusion.
"Gabrielle has been in love with you since we were kids."
"Nairobi he is not in love with me. I would know."
"You don't feel that way about him?"
"I don't feel love, I mean, of course he is a gorgeous angel." Her eyes locked onto Gabrielle and took in his figure. He was tall and muscular. His semi-long black hair hung around his chiseled jaw. His dark, crimson eyes looked her way. "He is a very good choice, but he is not mine, there is an order to things Nairobi and we both know that." Gabrielle began to walk towards the two girls as they talked. His eyes mesmerized her as he approached them.
"Hello Gabrielle." Nairobi held her hand out towards him. He grabbed it and placed a slight kiss upon her hand.
"Princess." He released her hand and nodded towards Iris.
"Sir." Iris replied to him. She was below him in ranks even though she was the Princess's guardian. She knew this position should have been Gabrielle's, but Nairobi had been intent on having it be Iris. As Iris watched Nairobi talk to Gabrielle she thought back to a time when they were all kids. He had taken Iris on a trip for lunch. He had kissed her that day, before they had all grown up and become confined to rules and order. They would never be able to be together. He was to marry Nairobi one day. She also hoped the person she married would be one she would be in love with. It was something that only happened once, but it could not be broken, not even with death. Love was something Iris never experienced, but she knew she did not love Gabrielle. He would marry Nairobi and be a great king one day. He always seemed to watch her though with intent eyes, like there was something he was hiding from her. Iris returned to the conversation as Nairobi tried to plead with Gabrielle.
"Please Gabrielle, Iris needs to wear a beautiful dress if she is ever going to find a suitable husband. " His eyes focused on her and she shrugged her shoulders.
"All warriors are to wear uniform your highness."
"I tried to explain that to her."
"Well we will just see about that." Nairobi strode off complaining about the dress code as she left the great hall. Iris and Gabrielle stood alone.
"Well Gabrielle." She bowed her head towards him and began to walk away. His hand reached up and took hold of her arm.
"Iris wait." There was a silent pause before he sighed.
"What's wrong Gabrielle?"
"I need to tell you something." She had never seen Gabrielle act this way before. His usual demeanor was always professional, but he was stumbling over his words.
"You can say anything Gabrielle."
"Tomorrow is mine and Nairobi's engagement party."
"Oh, well, congragulations Gabrielle." Iris began to turn, but he hadn't let go yet.
"That's it? There's nothing you want to say?"
"What would I say Gabrielle, we all knew this is how it would be."
"No, not if you weren't her guardian anymore." Iris felt as though she had taken a blow to the chest.
"Gabrielle, I worked harder than any of you to earn my spot here. I would never give this up, especially not a man, even more so not one that I wasn't in love with."
"Are you sure you don't have feelings Iris?"
"I'm positive Gabrielle, we are just friends."
"Well, I wish I felt the same."
"Gabrielle that was a very long time ago and we were just children. I am sorry, but I am positive you will be happy with Nairobi, which I must now go find her." She left Gabrielle to be alone in the training room. She thought of going to find Nairobi, but instead decided to walk to her room. She wanted to be alone in peace for a few moments to think of what Gabrielle had said.
Give up being a warrior. No man will ever be worth that. And Gabrielle has feelings for me? When could this have happened, it was one kiss when we were children. It is not possible that he loves me.
She looked up at her door and saw a note on it.
Iris please join me in my office.
-The King
Iris turned around immediately and hustled to the King's office. It was located in the main building of the castle. The walls of the castle were sparkling white, next to the dark marble floors. Everything in the palace was pristine; it appeared almost untouched, giving an eerie feeling to Iris. It was unlike her home which was full of pictures, paintings, and inviting. She arrived to the King's office, but didn't need to speak; he knew she was there without her speaking. He seemed to know everything in his home.
"Come in Iris." He spoke gently to her. She entered the office and bowed. "You of all people do not need to bow Iris."
"It is to show respect your majesty." A smiled crossed his old face. Here in the confines of his home he appeared much older and gentler than before.
"Hmm." He peered up from his desk and looked at her. "Well Iris, I called you here to discuss something with you. How would you like to go assist the humans on Earth?" Her eyes widened with excitement. She smiled and regained her composure.
"I would be honored." The King smiled at her again.
"This will only be between us, you will go to your parents, say your goodbyes and come right back here. No one else will know of this, not even Nairobi. I cannot risk your life. I will announce it at the dinner tonight. You have made me very proud Iris. You have become a wonderful warrior, you have exceeded with your training. Your skills are top notch. Now it is your time to go assist those in need and make sure the royal family does not succeed. You are our hope right now. But, before you go you must know the risks. The demons are very stealthy, the humans are very vulnerable, and if you are captured I cannot guarantee your return. You will not be back until you have completed your mission, but no one will be able to come for you." He smiled at her trying to ease what he was telling her. Once she left she was on her own.
"Thank you your highness, I understand what you are asking, and I gladly accept. I will return shortly." She bowed her head and left swiftly. She walked outside and spread her wings. She took in the sunlight that beamed on her skin, the heat from the sun radiated off of her. Her auburn hair blew with the gust of wind. She took off in the air towards her home. She flew quickly, but embracing everything she saw. The clouds, the gold city, people outdoors laughing. She wanted to take it all in before she might not ever see it again. She finally arrived at her home located in isolation. The house stood tall as ever, three stories, shining a brilliant white in the sun. She saw her reflection in one of the many giant windows that covered the home. She saw how her faced looked older than when she had been home last. Her eyes glowed back at her. One a beautiful, bright gold, and one a dark, black, that pierced into her soul. She shook her head and left her reflection as she walked up to the door. She saw freshly planted flowers that lined the walkway with bright colors of pinks, purples, reds, and blues. Her mother had always enjoyed planting; she however was never good at it. She stopped in front of the giant crystal door. She felt out of place here. It was a beautiful home she wasn't sure she belonged to anymore. She loved her parents more than anything, but she feared letting them down, or hurting them by leaving. She had to do it, they would understand, it was her destiny to leave. She took in a deep breath and knocked on the door. Her father answered the door and immediately pulled her into his arms.
"My child." He whispered and kissed her head.
"Father, I have to hurry, I'm sorry I don't have much time to explain, but I have been chosen to go assist the humans on Earth. It is the greatest honor I could have hoped for, and I will not let you down."
"My precious child I could never be let down by you." He looked into her eyes and put his hand against her face, next to her dark eye.
"Mother?"
"She's well." He stepped back and held the door open for Iris. She stepped into the large living room and saw her mother sitting next to a piano. She wore a silky, long, black dress. Her dark hair flowed to the ground in a tight braid. She turned to her daughter, her black eyes glistening with love as she stood up and strode to Iris. She wrapped her into a hug immediately.
"Iris you're so big. You've grown so much these last few years. I see you are taking after your father." She put her hand against Iris's face. "Have they come in yet?"
"No mother, they have not." Iris would not tell her mother she could feel the sharp fangs hiding, wanting to come out, but Iris fought against it. She didn't want her mother to know, but she already did.
"You shouldn't be afraid of it Iris. It is apart of you."
"It's only a physical thing mother."
"You have pure diamond teeth my child, teeth of a demon, and they are just as much you as your wings."
"Mother you know what the rumors are."
"Just because you are half demon, half angel, does not make you the prophecy, but if you are you mustn't be afraid my love."
"There is everything to be afraid of. Humans, demons, and angels alike know of this tale. The half breed to save the world, unite all the creatures, bring peace to Earth. Connect the angels to society. It would be a great deal of responsibility. I do however have a great responsibility now. I am going to Earth." Her mother's face went pale, her eyes darkening. Her mother could not see, that was the curse she was burdened with when she came to the Heaven's many years ago. Any demon that entered the heavens would go blind from the pureness since they have no soul. She gladly gave it up for her husband, and now her daughter. Iris knew her mother loved them more than anything and was willing to give up anything for them. Iris respected her mother for all she had done, but she did not understand it, nor did she think she could do the same thing for a man. She was also haunted by the fact that she was a half breed, bred from the purest of all, and also from the darkest. No one knew of another half breed other than Iris, which created rumors of her being the prophecy. The one who was to unite humans, demons, and angels, and bring peace, but at what cost she was unsure of. Her family had been moved farther away when Iris was born in order to protect her from those who would do anything to stop the war. Iris looked back to her mother, her face softening.
"Be safe my love, and don't be afraid." Her father came up and wrapped her in his arms.
"Allow love to guide you and you will rise. You are a queen of heart." He whispered to her as he kissed her forehead. He walked her to the door, "Return to us my love."
"Always father, I promise." She turned her back to her home, her family, and let her wings take her into the air. She faced the sun and soaked in all of its warmth. She knew that it would be a long time before she felt the sun against her face again. She heard many stories of how Earth had been destroyed almost to ashes, covered in darkness from the demons. She was ready to fight, ready to be a hero, and ready to die for her people. She came to a halt in front of the giant golden gates. She awed at them, she had never seen them before. Her hand grazed each of the bars as she walked. They felt cold against her skin. They had been created out of pure gold and magic, placed here by the King's wife hundreds of years ago before she died. Iris hadn't known Nairobi's mom, she had died before Nairobi's first birthday. She was killed on Earth before the war had even started. The King said a demon had killed her. She continued to gaze at the bars taking in all of their beauty.
"Iris?" The King's voice brought her back.
"Yes?"
"Are you ready?"
"I am." She nodded at him.
"Be safe." He opened the giant gates, they made no noise. Everything was silent as she walked past them. She saw them close as she turned to say goodbye, but the King was gone. She opened her wings to their full length as she leaned over the edge of the giant cloud, beneath her was darkness. She jumped head first right into the middle of it all. Everything Iris knew was about to change.

© Copyright 2014 kristen (kmp1243 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1994409-Iris