*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1995648-Homeless
by AJM
Rated: 13+ · Other · Death · #1995648
Robin and Thomas. Both siblings. They are homeless. Living in the streets of NYC.
We're cold. Really cold. My brother and I are in the streets, freezing. We were sitting in front of a shop. Our backs were to the walls and we we're shivering. It was December and we we're dead cold. My brother Thomas looked so weak and fragile. It's been 2 weeks since we've eaten a good meal. It's been 2 years since we've been in a place we can call home. Thomas and I live in the streets. Our so called 'parents' abandoned us 2-3 years ago. Thomas is 7 years-old, I'm 13 years-old.



Oh. Sorry. I'm Robin. As you know I'm 13. I have brown golden hair and green-brown eyes. Thomas or as I call him Tommy has dark brown hair and green-brown eyes. So back to reality.



Tommy and I are both hungry and cold. No one would let us in, anywhere. It was snowing and we were wearing thick clothes. I could tell that Thomas was as cold as a snowman by now. I picked him up; yes I pick up a 7 year old. He's actually smaller and lighter than one from not eating properly. I placed him on my lap and covered us with a thick blanket; I had in our back-pack. It wasn't enough so we continued to shiver.



I rubbed his back trying to keep him warm. No use, he was still coughing and shivering. People passed us, but did not even care about how fragile we looked. I placed our sign that said 'We're cold and hungry. Please help.' We always prayed for some people to actually care, but that was in our dreams.



"Ro-robin it-t c-c-cold," Tommy stuttered. I frowned and nodded.



"I know bud," I said, trying to keep my voice soft. He shivered and snuggled closer to me. I sighed and leaned my head on the wall. I looked at the sky as it was snowing.



"R-r-robin," Tommy stuttered, sneezing. I looked back at him and frowned. I slowly got up my feet and held onto the wall. I readjusted Tommy and placed him on my hip. I got our sign and back-pack.



"Let's go see if Gasper has place for us tonight," I said, he nodded shivering. I walked through people, who didn't give a damn about us. They just stared at us for a second, and then continue to walk. Why is this world horrible?



If you're wondering who Gasper is, he's a friend. We met a year ago and he's been helping us. He, as well, is homeless. He lives in an abandoned building and keeps others with him. When we work together we can survive this wretched world. Gasper is about 28, I think. He has black hair, dark brown eyes and a small beard, as well. The building was about 10 minutes from our spot.



We made it there and we were seriously cold. We walked in, well, I walked in, and Tommy was still in my arms, shivering. I went into the living area. It was broken down, but there were blankets around. I saw others who were sitting down praying. I looked around for Gasper. I walked over to one of the others and crouched down in front of a woman.{



"Have you seen Gasper?" I asked she nodded.



"Upstairs," She said, I thanked her.



"Could you let him stay with you for a few minutes, so I can talk to Gasper?" I asked, referring Tommy. She smiled and nodded. I handed her Tommy and she covered him with a blanket. "Be right back Tommy," He nodded and I walked upstairs. I walked around and looked for Gasper. It was quite warm here, better than the outside. I entered one of the rooms and found Gasper, feeding a little girl some soup. I guess she was sick. I tell you Gasper is a savior to us all. I walked over to him and he turned his head.



"Robin," He said, standing up. I nodded.





"Could Tommy and I spend the night? It's really cold outside," I said, he nodded.



"Of course you can. You are a part of this family, remember. Go get something to eat in the kitchen. There's chicken noodle soup and get some warmer clothes from the closet. You're always welcome," he said.





"Thank you Gasper," I said, giving him a hug. He nodded and smiled. I walked back downstairs and walked over to Tommy. He was finally not shivering.



"Let's get you in something warm," I said, picking him up. I turned to the woman. "Thanks again, I'm Robin by the way,"



"You're welcome and I'm Hayley," She said, I nodded. I carried Tommy to the kitchen. I placed him down and walked over to the closet. I opened it and found lots of warm clothes.



I got two hoodies, one blue small and one white-blue big. I got two sweat pants and some boots. I helped Tommy change into the small hoodie, sweat pants and boots. I pulled his hood up and smirked. I changed into the big hoodie, sweat pants and boots. I ruffled my hair and walked over to the pot. I opened it and got two small bowls. We still need to keep some for the others. I poured soup in them and closed the pot. I turned to Tommy and held his hand.



We walked into the living area and sat down. We pulled two blankets for both of us. We covered each other and drank the soup. I had to feed Tommy, as he was still having trouble on eating by himself. He hasn't had a proper childhood. When I finished feeding him, I drank my soup. I finished and turned to Tommy. He was dozing off.



"Get some sleep Tommy," I said, he nodded and laid down next to me. I covered him up and he fell asleep. I leaned my back to the wall and sighed.



Please give us a good future god. What did we do wrong to deserve this? Please help. Amen. I prayed in my head. I laid next to Tommy and closed my eyes. I fell asleep in a matter of minutes.



*Morning*

I woke up at 10. Everyone else was either asleep or awake. Gasper was asleep, so that meant that Juniper was in charge now. She was as kind as Gasper. I sat up and rubbed my eye. I looked down and saw that Tommy wasn't there. I got up and looked around. I walked over to Hayley.

"Have you seen Tommy?" I asked.


"No, but I think Juniper has," She said, I nodded. I walked up to Juniper, who was carrying the little boy. He looked so fragile and weak. He had blond hair and blue eyes. Juniper had dark brown hair and green eyes.


"Juniper did you see Tommy?" I asked.


"Yeah, he's outside, he said he wanted fresh air," She said, I nodded. I pulled my hood up and walked outside. It was still snowing and it was cold. I walked over to Tommy. He was sitting down on the snow. We were in New York City by the way. So you would know how cold it was.


"Tommy aren't you cold?" I said he shook his head. "Come on let's go say bye to the rest, we need to go out," He nodded, I picked him and placed him on my hip. I walked back into the building and went over to Juniper.


"Juniper we're gonna go now, tell Gasper we said thanks for everything," I said, she frowned and nodded.


"Ok kiddo but remember your always welcome," She said, I nodded. I walked over to our spot and took our back-pack. I put a blanket inside and zipped it up. I put on the back-pack and went over to Hayley.


"We're going now we just wanted to say bye," I said, she nodded and gave us a sad smile.


"It's been nice meeting you," she said, I nodded in agreement.


I carried Tommy outside and we walked into snow.

We made it to the streets of New York. We sat down on our spot. But just as we sat down, we were pulled up. I looked and saw a woman. She looked kind. She had dark brown hair and chocolate brown eyes.



"My god what are you kids doing in these cold streets," she said, patting my shoulders. "Where in heavens is your parents?"



"We don't have any ma'am," I said, politely.



"What's your name? I'm Dawn," She said.



"My name is Robin and this is my brother Thomas," i said.



"Come with me," She said, I raised an eyebrow.



"Are you sure ma'am we don't want to be a burden," I said, placing Tommy down. I held his hand and he hugged me by the waist.  He shivered and buried his head on my waist.



"I want to take you two. You'll freeze to death," she said, i nodded and followed, with Tommy. I wonder what will happen.     




*******Sorry I'll be continuing********



© Copyright 2014 AJM (reapersajm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1995648-Homeless