*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1995755-Timeless-Letters
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Biographical · #1995755
The letters left for me by my great-grandparents reveal more than I could ever imagine.
In May of 2013, a severe storm announced itself to Oklahoma. Though it was breaking news, it wasn’t uncommon. If you aren’t from Oklahoma, one of the first things you think of is tornadoes. If you call Oklahoma home, you roll your eyes at this stereotype. For one, in your eyes the state has so much more to offer, and you are almost immune to the tornado sirens since you've grown up hearing them. Most often, you react like you do when someone burns something in the kitchen making the smoke alarm go off. It’s not pleasant, but it'll pass.

May 31, 2013 was the first time in my forty-four years I felt truly helpless and frightened. My son and I had lived in the town of Jones about six months, and I had never thought of what our tornado plan would be. We have no cellar or basement which surprisingly isn’t that uncommon in Oklahoma. The nearest ‘shelter’ was the school, but since I worked there I knew it had nothing more than a library, so it seemed more of a place to be with other frantic people. Watching the continual coverage on television, I texted a friend for advice and comfort. They were going to try to outrun it if the situation turned deadly. This wasn't comforting to me. As I prayed silently and attempted to act calm and unconcerned so that my son wouldn't be worried, my dad called. My father hates the phone. He hates looking up numbers, dialing, and talking on the phone. My heart dropped.

“Grab what you can, get in the car, and drive north.” His words were forceful, but not emotional. Was he doing for me what I was trying to do for my son? Projecting confidence over something you have no control.

I relayed these words to my son while rerunning the sentence in my head. Grab what I can? At that moment, there didn’t seem anything I couldn’t live without or couldn’t be replaced. While my son got his dog and the cats (though I told him not to bring the cats in the car, but that’s another story), my mind raced. What would I be sorry that I hadn’t grabbed? Like a gift, the thought so clearly came to me – the love letters from my great-grandparents.

After I could breathe at a rate that was half-way normal, had been reassured that the monster had passed, and was forty miles from home, my son asked, “Mom, what did you bring with us?”

That moment is when I realized the story had to be told.

___________________________________________________________________________

In October of 1888, a baby was born, Roy Fred Klingman. The name ‘Fred’ was after his father. Approximately five years later, a baby girl, Cecil Ora Burchett, would be born to Mr. and Mrs. Lewis and Martha Burchett. The exact year is unclear because on many records the birth year was estimated. It was July 13 of 1893 or 1894 that a woman was born who touched my life in a way that I will always hold close to my heart and spirit.

Both families lived in Missouri at the time, but relocated to Oklahoma taking up residence in Cashion. The 1907 census recorded 265 residences. In her teens, Cecil worked as a switchboard operator putting through calls, billing, and collecting payments. Roy worked with his uncle at the local grocery store. It's no wonder these two crossed paths, and a love story for the ages came to be. I’m not sure of the date that sparks began to fly and hearts fluttered; but I do know by the letters I cherish that by 1912 their love had blossomed and being apart for even a short period of time was torture.

June 30, 1912
Anniston, New Mexico
Dear, you can’t imagine how awful lonesome it is away off down here where no one cares for you nor loves you, and then to think how much nicer it is to be with someone that loves you all the time.
.

Sometime before 1912, Roy purchased a relinquishment to a homestead in Jon, New Mexico. The requirements were he had to spend a certain amount of time there, plant a crop, and make improvements to the property. He would usually go for two to four weeks at a time. The minutes without each other ticked by slowly for both.

Roy referred to his place as Mammoth Cave. I believe he did so because of the harsh conditions. The ground was dry making it difficult to plow. His ‘house’ was a dugout with no electricity or amenities. Those items he did purchase were often gone when he returned, taken by thieves or people in dire need. He shared his place with rabbits and rats that seemed particularly fond of the buttons on his shoes. Roy would go days without seeing anyone; the bright spot of his time in San Jon was walking to the post office and receiving letters from his true love.

Cashion, Oklahoma
July 1st, 1912
I sure do wish you could be here by Sunday that sure will be a long lonesome day for both of us for we have been together every Sunday for a long time, haven’t we my Sweetheart?


Though Cecil had her job at the switchboard, her family, and friends to keep her distracted, there was no easing her ache for Roy. She speaks of a love that no one can comprehend. When a friend attempts to reassure her that she understands since her beau was in Wichita for a spell, Cecil rebuffs it for she never once saw the girl cry or be out of sorts.

In one letter alone, she uses the word 'lonesome' twelve times. It’s not repetition; it's love and longing speaking through written words. Each letter is written in perfect cursive writing, as are the ones he writes her. Often, she is writing at work and will mention she needs to pause to put a call through as if he were right there talking with her.


Cashion, Oklahoma
January 8th, 1913
Dear Roy:
Say, I wish I was down there with you. I sure am lonesome here this morning. Roy, please don’t stay 2 weeks. Come back home just as soon as you can. Will you?


The letters were an outpouring of love. Oh, they also consisted of the town ‘drama’; such as, Bertha breaking-up with Earl Welch and would be happy if she never laid eyes on him again! Cecil’s daily events were written about: choir practice, picnics, a trip to Guthrie. However, hardly a thought was completed without mentioning how much she missed him. It was as if she was writing exactly as her thoughts were processed.

Her mother had commented that Cecil looked down-right sick. Cecil seems almost appalled that there was any doubt, for how could she not be sick with her true love so far away?

Anniston, New Mexico
June 17, 2013
I am honest to you in every way, and believe you the same.


By this time Roy and Cecil were engaged. Though many folks speculated they would soon be married, it was a well-kept secret. They only told her mother and his siblings. This was partially to help with preparations. Roy had left his suit with his brother, Irl. Cecil would pick it up before boarding the train to meet him in Kingfisher. The family members would ride by buggy. They chose to have the small ceremony in Kingfisher which was about ten miles from Cashion, because they ‘didn’t want the whole town of Cashion showing up’. They didn’t want a spectacle; they desired privacy and simplicity – a mirror of the love they had.

Cashion, Oklahoma
June 18, 1913
Roy, when we are married I am going to be with you every minute I can, that is honest. I mean it.


Cecil reveals she bought the material to make her dress and will begin sewing on it tomorrow morning. It's a brown silk. The dress must have had many layers because she writes she didn’t buy the normal 2 ½ yards, but instead 6 yards! She purchased black slippers and gloves to match.

The pride comes through when she tells Roy she has been able to save $100.00. No small feat in those days. Cecil wants to ensure Roy never has to take the trip to New Mexico alone again. She'll do whatever she can to be by his side the next time he enters San Jon.

Mammoth Cave
New Mexico
6-18-1913
8:30 p.m.
My Only Dear One:
I read your second letter this afternoon, and was so tickled to get your dear words that I cannot keep the tears out of my eyes. “And me a man.”


Roy’s letters have a way of transporting you to wherever he is. His description takes over your senses so that you feel the loneliness of the dug-out, the shyness felt at taking dinner with people you hardly know, and the tired feeling that encompasses him as he works to plant a crop when the ground resists him and the sun beats down.

He writes of great love felt, but is also realistic. Though he would love to be with Cecil sooner, the law is the law, and he must remain until his commitments are met. He's a man that does the right thing, but isn’t afraid to share his feelings of wishing it could be another way. No doubt each letter Cecil received elated her and made her miss him more.

__________________________________________________________________________

Roy Klingman and Cecil Burchett were married June 25, 1913 in Kingfisher, Oklahoma. They had two wonderful childen – Pauline Ruth and Cecil Roy Klingman. They shared fifty-two years of blissful marriage. Just as life often deals, some of the times were more trying than others, but their love never ceased to flourish. Whether they were aware of it or not, they set an example of pure, unconditional love for all those around them.

I never knew Roy, or Gramp as we refer to him. He passed away at the age of 77 in 1965; four years before I was born. I always felt slighted that I hadn’t gotten to meet him, but I think through the letters and the hours I spent with Ma (Cecil), I knew him better than some.

Ma was the oldest in our family and I the youngest. I was too little to play with the bigger kids; well, that’s what they told me. She and I developed a special bond. You love all your family, but there is usually someone you feel a kindred spirit to.

“Hold your horses.” That was the meanest thing I ever heard her say, and she didn’t even say it with an exclamation mark. She sewed dresses for my Raggedy Ann, we read stories, she helped me live through my first bee sting, and she told stories of Gramp. I don’t remember many details about them except the look of love and longing that would overtake her eyes.

She passed away December 31, 1980. It was my first time feeling true hurt; I was sure I wouldn’t be able to live through the ache in my heart. I knew she was with Gramp which brought some comfort, but when you're twelve-years-old it is hard to get passed your selfish wants. And I wanted Ma back. I talked to her all the time, occasionally I still do. Truth be told, knowing she was in Heaven looking down on me made me choose the right path a few times I was tempted to stray. I couldn’t disappoint her.

Most little girls dream of a Prince and Princess love. I dreamed of a Gramp and Ma love. Though I may never find it, it is enough for me to know that it does truly exist.

letters from 1912
Letter from Ma to Gramp

Where my grandparents lived in 1913
Cashion, Oklahoma
Early 1900's

Marriage License
Marriage License
June 25, 1913

Postcard 1912
Postcard to Cecil from El Reno

envelope 1912
© Copyright 2014 audra_branson (abranson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1995755-Timeless-Letters