*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1996329-Tall-as-a-Tree
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Blue
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Emotional · #1996329
A letter that was never sent and still sits in the shoe box under the bed
To my tall, tall tree
         If I were as tall as a tree I would spread my branches out wide and cover you with them so that nothing could ever get to you. I would allow my leaves to grow thick so that the rains never need touch your face. When you wished it I would spread my branches wide so that the golden sun may touch your skin and warm your hands and sometimes to let the rain through, because I know how much you love the rain. My roots would wrap around you and shield you from anything or anyone who meant you harm. If I were as tall as a tree I would let you climb my branches so that you may become loser to the stars that you wanted to reach and so that you could dip your fingers into the sky. Unfortunately, I am not as tall as a tree, and I never will be. Still, I promise that if I could ever become as tall as a tree no one would ever harm you again.
         But, as I am not as tall as a tree, I still wish to find a way to protect you and the best way for me to do that is through these words that I write now. You, yes you, are as tall as a tree, taller even. You reach so high that your highest leaf scrapes the stars and your mouth kisses the moon. Your roots reach so deep that they wrap around the core of the Earth as if to protect it from harm and that no wind may ever knock you down. You see, that’s all any of this is. Wind trying to knock you down whispers through your leaves, nothing more. It’s the leaves that fell from the other trees just like you because they were tired of carrying their wait and now they bother you. But, don’t worry because one day the wind will be still and the leaves will fall around you where they will become food for your branches to help them reach higher into the heavens.
         The wind will never knock you over no matter how hard it blows because your roots are too deep and your soul too high to be touched, and I know that if you were not strong enough to stand tall you would not have grown so high. Even though you might have a Broken branch, a bent part of your trunk from here or there, those are only battle wounds long healed, nothing fatal which to me makes you even more beautiful. I am not tall enough to protect you, and even though I try I feel I will never be. Still even if you grow so high that you no longer see me and that the stars are your only companions, I will always be here. I will always be the little sapling tangled in your roots and I promise on this day that I will never want that to change.
         So, my brave, brave tree, stand tall at least for me. So that one day I might live in your shadow knowing that maybe at some point past I held you steady and helped you to reach so very high like you did. I only ask that I remain in your memories. I only want to be a wisp of something that you recall. Someone who you remember having helped to hold you up while you roots continued to grow deeper. Just remember the little sapling tangled in you roots. Please.
Sincerely
your sapling
© Copyright 2014 Blue (theoddone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1996329-Tall-as-a-Tree