*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2000840-Darkest-Light
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2000840
A stab at writing about my friends' and my own adventures in Dungeons and Dragons
                                       The Darkest Light
         Cador stood atop the ashen rocks that overlooked the sea. He peered out into the nothingness, lost in his thoughts, and pondered when he would make leave for his brothers wedding. The air was cool and a heavy mist began to fall all around the Tiefling; it was as if the burden he carried manifested itself into a physical element, and it was inescapable."Glennindale." The name wasn't familiar, but one didn't have to assume to know that it wasn't a large town. He was tall and thick, and the horns that protruded from the sides of Cador's forehead, served as a mantle to his long flowing hair, and in the night sky, they were the only things one could make out in great detail. Cador turned and began to step down from his place of solitude and made way towards the Dragonfly Inn. It began to rain.
         Upon entering the inn, Cador was surrounded by the noise and chatter of the large room. Here on the first floor was a tavern (and one of fine repute). It was loud, but not unbearable, and it was a bit messy, but the bar keep had children boys to clean and attend to the mess. The bar wenches were among the bustiest of women and didn't mind flaunting all of their "goods" at even the slightest of requests. There were many tables that were round and seated as many as twenty people at any given table. A long bar sat at the back of the room, where those who desired the strongest liquor sat, and they could go all night putting back the drinks. Yes, to Cador this establishment would do quite well. He had pulled his cloak over himself and raised his hood to conceal his horns (if only to a small extent) before entering the tavern. He walked slowly, taking good measure to note the faces he saw, and made mental notes to himself upon seeing a suspicious person. "Oof! Sorry 'bout that mate! Been a long night ya' see and...*yank*. Cador pulled the would be pick pocket off the ground by his collar and said, "Now, now. If you would be so kind as to hand back my coin purse good sir." Cador brought the small man within mere inches of his face and bared his fangs in slight gesture. "Yeah, yeah, oh, y..you m..m..mean this! Ha, How d...did that get there?! Here you are, now if you might put me down, ol' chap...please?" Cador was somewhat satisfied with the man's atonement and kindly placed his feet back on the floor. He then proceeded the rest of the way to the bar and took a seat.
         "For the big man!" A small shot glass that smelled of a metal smith's cleaning fluids drifted its way to Cador. The Tiefling looked up and saw the rest of the men sitting at the bar waiting for him to down the drink. He picked up the glass and threw the hard drink into his mouth, swished it around and swallowed. As much as he detested the nasty beverage, he managed to eek out a sly grin beneath his hood as if to say, "That was nothing!" to the rest of the men. A loud roar came from them and another shot was slung Cador's way, but before Cador noticed he had called the bar keep his way. He let the drink idle while he feigned being distracted by his company, who was a strong burly man, but only about three-quarters the height of Cador, who stood at an even seven feet. Cador lifted his eyes to the man and stretched out his hand for a friendly greeting. He didn't realize however, that his magenta colored skin would show itself off amidst the brightly lit room. A gasp came from the bar keep, who soon after asked, "By the gods man, are you alright!" Cador quickly pulled a finger up to his own lips to try to hush the man. In his deep, almost too deep of a voice, Cador said, "I am quite alright my friend, and I mean you no harm. I am simply from a faraway place on travel to my brother's wedding. I only ask for information regarding the town of Glennindale."          The man gave his apologies and introduced himself. "Sorry 'bout that! Just never seen yor kind 'round 'ere afore! Meh name's Oliver Redtail! And as far as Glennindale's concerned, ya' ain't missin' much-a-nothin'! Its jus' a small mill town, 'bout a days worth-a travel south of 'ere! Yer eyes are lookin' a touch tired from wherever it is ya' been. How's 'bout ya' take a room for the night! Although, I might say our beds'ed be a bit too small for yer frame! HAHAHA! " Cador stood and lifted his hand up to oppose the notion. "Thank you, kind sir, but I will have to pass on the offer. I am in a bit of a hurry you see, and I should be going as soon as possible." Cador handed the man a silver piece from his coin purse. "This is for the information and the drink." As the man began thanking Cador for his kindness, he had already turned and was headed towards the door. He did lift up a hand to acknowledge the man's kindness, so as not to be rude, however.
         Upon stepping outside once more, it was to Cador's surprise as to how much the rain had picked up in the short time he was in the inn. "If anything it will be to my advantage to travel under such conditions, and with any luck I will be the first one there!"

© Copyright 2014 Brenthias (brenthias at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2000840-Darkest-Light