*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2001102-The-last-act
by bas
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2001102
The feelings of a joker as he performs his last act
"The mask shall remain", Tarun paused before adding, "only the face behind shall change". He looked around him at the empty room, all his props lying around waiting for their turn on the stage, waiting for their turn to make the audience laugh.

For eighteen years he had performed.the act of joker, with the props innumerable times. Every time making the audience, kids, adults, young, everyone, erupt into laughter. Did he laugh behind the mask, nobody ever knew. Did any of the acts hurt him, nobody knew, but they all laughed, at him. Today would be no different for the audience, but it will be for him, cause it would be his last act.

From the entrance to the stage till the exit, every act brought back to him memories of past, of laughter and tears. He wanted to take the mask off, for once, to let the world see him, but the manager had been clear "Its only the mask that matters not who is behind"

"We will miss you" Jane, his best mate at circus held his hands as he walked out
"But make sure they don't." Tarun pointed to the audience "The show must go on Jane"

© Copyright 2014 bas (ba_satish at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2001102-The-last-act