*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2003284-Another-Planet-Chapter-Two
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Friendship · #2003284
The two friends further discuss their trip to the moon!

Chapter Two

It was no more than two weeks later that Cameron had already shifted his plan from the stationary idea it was a few months ago to the full-force plan it was now. Without telling Dakota, he had already made the arrangements with his initially reluctant mother. She had been concerned that both boys were going on trip since she was already worried about just her son going to the moon. Thanks to Cameron's quick and successful (and not to mention sneaky) persuading skills, she agreed to let Dakota come along. Although Cameron told his worrisome mother that they would stay safe and not wander off or press any mysterious buttons, their young temptations would get the best of them.
The pair decided to meet at The Eating Palace; the city's most populated and diverse restaurant. The diversity stems from the fact that inside the Palace just about anything could be ordered. All a person had to do was press a few buttons, touch a screen or two and finally deposit their cash and they could have any meal they so desired. Thanks to the convenience of not having to choose between restaurants, The Eating Palace remained the only chain restaurant in the city and the world which, to make matters worse, had virtually no culture or livelihood to gain from. The Eating Palace may have been the number one spot to grab some Sushi or scarf down some french fries, but it was just another building and chain-store that was killing culture or art and turning the people of the city into desensitized drones.
Inside the building smelled of many different dishes at once. Cameron entered through the front doors with an clumsy swagger that shouted to the world: "I'm awkward and I'm proud!" While walking he noticed a middle-aged couple eating two plates of Calamari which reeked of dead fish to him. A few tables over to the couple was a lone mustached man carefully eating a bowl of spaghetti, savoring each strand of pasta like it was his last. Cameron picked a table close to the wall, near the restrooms as to avoid any unnecessary socialization. As he decided between the classic cheeseburger and the T-bone steak, he saw Dakota walk through the front doors. Both boys were sporting similarly striped shirts but with different colors and variety of stripes, which they stated when they both sat down. After the initial greetings the boys quickly ordered their plates of food: a meaty cheeseburger for Cameron and a perfectly cheesy slice of pizza for Dakota. While the boys were eating they discussed Dakota's latest poems and Cameron's latest fictional tales. They both equally shared a passion for the written arts and it was a hobby that drove them both to succeed in it no matter what.
Eventually, the candor stopped and Cameron knew it was time to talk about his plan, which he knew Dakota was ill to discussing.
"Dakota, about my--" Before he could even bring it up Dakota shushed him while he chewed on his pizza crust.
"I know what you want to say." He stated, after taking a drink from his cup of water.
"Well, I need to know if you're one-hundred percent in?" Cameron asked, although he was sure Dakota would agree to it. Dakota took a big sigh and looked straight into Cameron's moss-colored eyes. He spoke two little words that made Cameron gasp with excitement. Usually with his hair-brained schemes, Dakota would feel just a bit of worry or anxiety but not this time. This time he indeed felt one-hundred percent confident. He was not sure why he felt this assured of himself, perhaps he felt it was time for him to do something wild and spontaneous or maybe it was out of trust for his best friend.
"That's great!" Cameron said with a bright smile. "We can leave next week and be back in time for Schooling to start. Unfortunately."
"Alright! I'll go home tonight and start packing. My parents are a little worried though." Although Dakota's parents were significantly older due to a late marriage, they allowed their boy to go on the trip after some much needed convincing.
Dakota became equally excited for this adventure since he be with his partner-in-crime. At that moment, a strange but joyful feeling awoke in him. He wasn't sure what it was exactly but it grew when he looked at the excited Cameron, he assumed it would just go away soon enough.
Dakota had never been more wrong about any other thought, feeling or emotion in his entire life.
© Copyright 2014 Shawn White (tonton646 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2003284-Another-Planet-Chapter-Two