*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2004071-Why-Am-I-Dead-season-1-episode-3
Rated: E · Short Story · Death · #2004071
Death brings us together in that the dead have only the dead.
Episode 3 "Alone"

A creepy pale kid starred off into space. He lay on his bed as he blared Marilyn Mason through is mp3 player. In one hand he held it and in the other he dug a knife deep into the wall beside him. He thought about life and about the words that Manson was saying. He remained in his room which was extra dark, just the way he liked it.

He couldn't hear but nevertheless his mother was yelling at him, screaming at him for not doing his chores and ruining his life listening to that devil shit. He didn't care, to the best of his ability he blocked her out completely. She pounded on the door, "Curtis, Curtis you turn that shit down or get the hell out of my house you bum!"

As time passed Curtis looked to the small razor he held in his hand. He looked over it and took in the sleek edges and the immensely sharpness that followed. He grinned and grimaced as he trailed it down his wrist. Blood trickled down as it left a trail down his arm.

Matt threw a book down upon his desk as he woke me from my sleep. I yawned and shot up. "Hey...for a split second I forgot we were dead!"

He nodded, "Yeah that happens sometimes. You get so used to acting human that you almost become it."

I looked over the book then back to him, "What's this? How is it going to help me?"

He laughed, "It's not, I'm just rearranging things. With you staying here and all I need more space for two. I ummm used to never let my wife in my studio."

I could tell the hint of humor in his voice. I urged, "And why was that?"

Matt broke eye contact and looked out the window. "It's a nice day out...so how about your death. Let's get cracking shall we?"

I nodded, "Don't hurt me too much okay?"

Matt smiled, "No not that...I have a friend I met a while ago. He's dead obviously and I just thought perhaps he could help us."

I stood up and listened as my joints didn't pop. I almost missed that now that I thought about it. I nodded, "Well if you think he'll be able to help, what are we waiting for?"

He nodded, took my hand in his and before I could blink we'd vanished! We appeared at a door step. I took in the house which appeared run down. Obviously no one has lived their in some time. I shot Matt a glare, "Oh boy this is an improvement."

He shot me a smirk and knocked on the door. Both of us could hear yelling, a lot of yelling and it grew closer and closer until the person yelling answered the door. A small, older women answered it and barked, "What what what do you want?!"

Matt smiled, "Hey nanny it's me Matt."

She looked him over once, twice then smiled, "Well how long's it been! I suppose you're not here to see me are you?"

Matt blushed, "Oh of course, always. But ummm your son wouldn't happen to be around would he?"

She hissed, "Unfortunately yeah he's here, where else would he go?"

Matt looked passed her to see the house in poor condition. Matt urged, "Well can we come in?"

She let the two of us in and Matt lead the way as I trailed behind him. I whispered, "So who is this guy and where did you meet him?"

Matt nodded, "Well you know there isn't a MyYearbook for the dead but I ran into him after the first few months of my death....and well he's been there for me quite a bit."

Matt came to a door and knocked on it again. I stood beside him as he looked down at me. I averted my gaze to the door that now opened as a pale figure stood in front of us. He or rather I should say it murmured, "What..."

Matt pulled him in for a hug, "Hey man it's been to long. How's it going?"

The man patted Matt's back just so he'd let him go. The man nodded, "Well....you know....surviving."

Matt nodded, "Yes well this is my friend Aliah...she's quite the interesting little ghost."

I broke my gaze on the ghoulish boy and shot Matt a glare, "Little ghost eh? I'm just a few years younger than you may I remind you."

Matt nodded, "Yes well, Aliah this is Curtis, Curtis this is Aliah."

Curtis opened his door and motioned for us to come in. We did just that and stood as far away from him as we could. I noticed his room, most of the walls had posters plastered down and the other walls were just too dark to see. Matt began, "Sorry to come on such sort notice but you see, Aliah here doesn't know how she died. I've tried dream walking but I can't find anything of importance. I didn't want to bother you but she's hell bent on finding out."

Curtis scratched his chin and nodded, "You really want to know...that bad eh? Bent on it you say?"

I smiled a short smile and replied, "Hellishly so."

Curtis stepped over to me now as he rose his boney hands. He calmly said, "I'll see what I can do but you must know that you may not like the outcome...some things just shouldn't be known!"

Curtis placed his ice cold hands on my forehead and murmured, "Clear your mind of everything, don't think of how pale I am.... Let me in and I'll see what you've seen!" Just as I opened my eyes he was gone.

I looked up at Matt who stood in front of me. He whispered, "Don't worry, he's a pro at this. Much better than I am."

Curtis' voice echoed through my ears, "Yeah well he learned from the best! Now shut up out there!"

It seemed like hours but truly was only minutes that I struggled to keep my sanity. I cringed at the pain, the burning sensation but it was useless. Curtis reappeared just minutes later as she shook his head. He sighed, "This girl is one tough hombre, give me some time and I'll be able to find out..."

Matt grabbed his arm, "Hey um....could we talk in private?"

Curtis nodded and as the two of them left the room I watched as Matt starred back briefly then closed the door. Matt murmured, "I know....I've seen what happened. I've tried to break down what happened time and time again and on the final try I saw it. Aliah...she's just died and she's not used to the emptiness the immense feeling of being alone that comes with death. She won't be able to except the truth...she won't be able to move on if she knew."

Curtis nods, "I see...well you know if she keeps at this eventually she'll find a way to remember...they all do."

Matt sighed, "I know....but....in order to forget she needs to never know."

Curtis smirked, "So your saying you want me to put a blocker on her."

Matt thought a moment and nodded, "She must never remember what happened to her...."

Curtis nodded, "Don't worry...once I'm done she'll never be able to know."

As Curtis remembered it...it was just one dark night. Nothing special about it in fact it was just like any other one. He'd just learned about his suspension from school and his mother was beyond pissed! She threatened once again to kick him out but all he had to fall back on was his music. He was borderline crazy, or something he wasn't sure. The psychologists weren't of much help to him, at least not now. He knelt down, lifted his blanket off his bed to find this sawed off shot gun underneath.

He appeared before his mother in her room, it was dark and she'd gone to bed. He looked to her as she sleep. For so long he hated her, hated the sound of her voice....hated her and how she never understood him. He raised the gun and listened as every breath she took was just one more that he couldn't bare to listen too. He smiled, "So I'm the bum? Well....let's see what you think when you're dead!"

He didn't remember actually doing it...all that he could recall was lifting the gun and aiming it. Her bloody corpse remained in her room, face down in a pool of blood. The sheets stained beyond fix and the posts were splattered as well as the wall. As time passed Curtis looked to the small razor he held in his hand. He looked over it and took in the sleek edges and the immensely sharpness that followed. He grinned and grimaced as he trailed it down his wrist. Blood trickled down as it left a trail down his arm.

© Copyright 2014 Adam Sword (nicksword at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2004071-Why-Am-I-Dead-season-1-episode-3