*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2005840-Not-as-Things-Seem
Rated: E · Chapter · Fanfiction · #2005840
Alex learns awful truth about her father.
Chapter 1:  Not as Things Seem

Alex looked one last time at her boarding pass. Don’t think. Just do. She told herself as she stood in line waiting for her turn to board the plane. Her heart pounded with fear and excitement as she pondered what she was leaving behind. A sense of sadness came as she thought of her cat Esmeralda and her best friend Jade. Although she would see them before long, she would miss them both terribly. Her thoughts shifted to her father and Henry. A spark of anger ran through her as she thought of the latter. His words played in her mind as if she’d heard them only moments before.

“You’re one of those women born to be told what to do.”

“No, I’m not,” she shook her head, shocked by the low opinion he had of her. She stepped away to remove his arm from her shoulder.

“How can you say something like that to me?”

“I’m just saying it like it is, Alex. You’re a follower but it’s a good thing in your case.”

“Are you serious? How could being a follower be a good thing?” She didn’t wait for his answer, “How much have you had to drink?”

“I’ve had a few.” He smiled and lifted his glass to his mouth.

How had she not seen this side of Henry before? She looked around the brightly lit room. Her eyes glazed over all the beautiful Christmas décor and furniture she was so familiar with as she made sure no one had heard. Everyone seemed to be involved in conversations of their own. Her father stood with a group of his business partners near the fireplace more than likely talking business. Dina, his newest wife, moved from guest to guest with a tray of hors d’oeuvres smiling and greeting as she went. Hurt by what Henry had said, she turned back to him, “I think you’ve had too much to drink.”

“I’m not drunk Alex. I know exactly what I’m saying.” His smug expression let her know he was telling the truth. “You’ll be the perfect wife for me.”

She cringed. “I didn’t realize we were getting married.”

“Oh, we will. Daddy over there loves me, because he knows I’m good for the company and even better for you. He’ll offer me a position at the top and you’ll be a good mother to our kids and an even better wife for me.” He paused to drink.

Alex stared at him in disbelief. “If Daddy knew how you were talking right now, he’d have you out of his house and out of Walker Enterprises before you had a chance to change your underwear.”

“That’s where you’re wrong.” He smiled. “He has as much as told me what I’ve just shared with you.” Before she could answer, he leaned over to whisper into her ear, “And, once I finally get into those pants of yours…” His implied meaning made her want to gag. For the first time since she’d known him, she was grateful she hadn’t given into his advances. Her rage made her want to deck him right where he stood. “You’ll be grateful I’m the one in charge.”

“Ew!” she exclaimed a look of disgust on her face. “I can assure I will never be happy about that.”

Henry’s face dropped in shock. Alex thought about what he had said. How could she have been so blind to Henry’s true character? And, how could her father do such a thing? After she thought about it, she had to admit, he’d been different since she returned from college. Besides inquiring about her every move, he tried to limit the time she spent away from home as if she were a child. Sickened by the thought that her life was in the hands of two men who had no faith in her, she contemplated leaving her home right then and there. Her mind raced.

“Henry.” She looked him in the eyes and nodded her head from side to side as if to say, you’re crazy. “We’re through.” Before walking away, she leaned back and whispered into his ear, “You might have my dad in your hands, but you’ll never have me in them.”

Simply ending their relationship wasn’t good enough. She’d let Henry and her father dictate her life for far too long. As she made her way to the stairs to go to her room, she walked around the corner and collided with a man, not much older than herself, who didn’t look like he belonged in her home, at all.

© Copyright 2014 gingergee (gingergee at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2005840-Not-as-Things-Seem