*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2006580-Gorgon
Rated: E · Other · Thriller/Suspense · #2006580
An accountant is gruesomely murdered in Anchorage.
Gorgon










Chapter 1




A Cry For Help









Kat Tovslosky squinted into the bright sunshine outside the windows of Jo's Bakery. She smiled when she saw the crowd of strangers on Main Street. Some were window shopping; others had settled on benches outside the Ravens Cove Library to take in the late-summer warmth. "It continues to be a record breaking visitor season."



"Hmmm." Bart Andersen's eyes never left the 8-by-11 sheet of paper in front of him.



"So, tell me how it feels." Kat cupped her cheeks in her hands and looked expectantly at her cousin. "How what feels?" Bart asked.

"How does it feel to be called Mayor Anderson?" "I liked police chief or sheriff better."

"I know. Too much desk and council time, huh?"



"The paperwork is tedious. More, I would rather Tommy Orthell still be among the living."



Kat dropped her eyes and studied the light chocolate liquid in her cup. She shivered at the memory of Mayor Orthell's corpse. Purple and black oozed from his eye sockets. She recalled the torn throat and empty, bloody hole in his chest. Kat willed herself to the present.



"It wasn't your fault," she whispered.



"My head says it wasn't; my heart says it was."



"You didn't call down the demon Iconoclast and his legion. Nor did you create the Kumrande. Those cloven-footed, yellow-eyed monsters are the ones who killed..." Kat's phone vibrated then began playing her favorite tune--Pacabel's "Canon in D." Kat pointed at Bart. "Don't go anywhere. I'm not finished. Hello!"



The late-afternoon light glinted off Kat's emerald-green eyes, turning them the color of spring birch

leaves. "I'll be there as soon as I can." "Be where?" Bart asked.

Kat put her cell phone on the table. "Well, I'm going to Anchorage."

"Why the sudden need to visit the big city?"



Kat chewed her bottom lip and took a deep breath. "You remember Mandy Thomas?" Bart's head popped up, and his eyes narrowed. "How could I forget?"

Kat grimaced. "Stupid question. Anyway, seems she's gotten herself into a bit of trouble."



"I'm not surprised. The shocker is you think it's your job to get her out of whatever mess she's gotten

into this time." Bart dropped his eyes back to the meeting notes.



"I know. But she doesn't have anyone up there. She sounded so hopeless." Kat stared into the light- brown liquid as if it were tea leaves, looking for an easy way to say what came next. "She wants to come back to the Cove."



Bart's head shot up. "Oh, that is not what I want to hear. I do not need her kind of trouble here!"



"You mean you don't want her causing a problem for you with Nyna Raeson, right?" Kat leaned forward

and searched Bart's eyes. "You don't have feelings for Mandy--do you?" "No! It's her need to make trouble. She can be outright vicious."

"True." Katremembered Mandy tellingtheschoolkidsherdad owned a ranch inMontana.When little

Joe Kiln said she was a liar, Mandy told the teacher he had hit her. Little Joe ended up with swats from the principal and a few days at home. Years later, Mandy admitted it had all been a big fib and laughed at how gullible the teacher had been.



"So why are you going to help her?" "She's implicated in a murder."

Bart buried his forehead in his heads. "Good Lord, if she didn't have bad luck she'd have none at all." "I want to help her."

"I knowhowcloseyoutwowere,butsheturned frommischievous tobadsomewherealongtheline. I

don't like you going into her territory by yourself." "Why? Do you think the charges are true?"

"I don'tknow."



"I can't believe she's turned from a rebellious kid into a killer." "Anyone is capable of murder in the right circumstance."

"She needs help. She's one of us!" "She was one of us. She left."

"So do a lot of people. They're still from Ravens Cove." "This is different."

"Why?"



"You could be walking into major trouble--even danger."



"When are you going to let go of this overprotective thing you've had since we were babies?" "Never." Bart's wide-toothed grin made Kat giggle.

"Seriously. Anchorageisn't butfour hours fromhere. Ican callif I need help. I'vemadethe tripmany

times--by myself I might add."



"I'd feel better if Melbourne was still here--and going with you."



"He's not. I wish he were." The pain of loneliness descended like a black cloud. Kat flashed Bart a wistful

smile.



"When's he back from LA?"



"He's there 'indefinitely' is all I can get out of him. Seems Chief Binnings is trying to get Ken's head back into the Bureau and thinks LA is just what the doctor ordered."



"How does Ken feel?"

"When I can get him to talk about it, he's none too pleased. Seems he likes Alaska more than he knew." "Seems he found what he was looking for in Alaska--specifically in Ravens Cove." Bart toasted Kat with

his white ceramic coffee cup.



"Well, not enough to take the position of police chief in the Cove," Kat whispered.



"You know there's more to it. He'd have to leave the FBI, and it has been his life. He needs time to make a decision. The job's open if he wants it."



"How long are you going to be able to fill both roles?" "As long as our little town stays little--and quiet."

Nyna strodetothe table, placed her handon Bart's muscular shoulder,andsqueezed."Whysoglum?"



"Double duty is beginning to cut into my personal life." Bart slid to the chair by the window. "You bet it is. It's a good thing I'm an independent, not to mention patient, person."

Nyna didn't miss the eye contact and silent exchange between the two cousins. "What'd I miss?"

Bart sighed. "Guess I'd better let you know before you find out from someone else." He turned to Nyna. "There's this--I think--You see--"



Kat threw her hands in the air and let them fall to the table. "I've got this one, cous." She leaned across the table. "What Bart wants to tell you is I'm going to Anchorage."



Nyna sat down. "Not so bad."



"And I'm going to bring Mandy Thomas back to Ravens Cove." Nyna moved away from Bart. "Not so good."

Bart took hold of Nyna's slender hand and pulled it to his mouth. "You know it's over, Nyna." "But does she know it?" Nyna's smiling lips drooped into a pout.

"Wehaven't spoken in years. And itdoesn'tmatter whatshe thinks."Bart pulledNyna tohimandkissed

her cheek. "Like it or not, you're stuck with this big ole lug." He squeezed her hand and let go.



"Can't you see he's head-over-heels for you? Besides, Mandy never stays in one place too long. She's a gypsy."



Nyna smiled. "True. And I'm a fighter." She turned to Bart. "Just try to go back to her." "Not in a million years."

Nyna planted a light kiss on Bart's cheek and turned to Kat. "When's Ken coming back?"



"Don't know." Kat looked at the wallclock behind Jo's deli counter. "Oh, shoot! I need to get home, feed

BC, and give Ken a call before it gets any later."



Kat breezed out the door of Jo's Bakery and zigzagged her way through the crowd. She stopped at a

window lined with vintage jewelry, Kat tugged on the shop's teal-blue door.



"Hello. Welcome to The Bell Jar." A slender, forty-something woman came out from behind a glass kiosk filled with gold rings. Diamonds, rubies, and emeralds glinted from their settings. Perfume bottles in a rainbow of colors flanked the trinkets. A bone china vase was centered amongst the jewels and bottles. The cabinet lights bathed the paper-thin glass in a warm glow.



"Hi, I'm Kat Tovslosky. Just thought I'd stop in and welcome you to Ravens Cove."



"Thanks. This is a friendly town. I'm Annie Scofland." She held out a delicate white hand to Kat. Kat took

it and returned the firm handshake.



A sharp bark and the tick-tick of nails on hardwood announced the arrival of a medium-sized brown and

white dog. It stopped at Annie's left leg and stared at Kat. "Who's this?" Kat asked.

"Don't know. She showed up today and insisted on being my bodyguard." Annie chuckled. "Didn't know

I needed one in this place."



"She's a beauty." The little dog wagged its full tail and yipped. "She acts like she understands every word."

"I think she might. A bright one for sure." "So how's business?"

"Well, not much local business to speak of, but the tourists sure like the shop. So, I'd say good."



Kat looked at the old milk cans and a wagon wheel perched on low shelves along one wall. An early

1900s Singer sewing machine, complete with dark oak cabinet, was centered below. Kat walked over to the glass kiosk and pointed at an alabaster chest embellished with cranberry-colored jewels.



"Those jewels look like they are part of the stone--like someone fused them." Kat concentrated on the gemstones. They shimmered and deepened into a rich indigo. How beautiful! Kat closed her eyes. When she looked at the box again, the jewels were red. "Did you see..."



Annie pointed at Kat's finger. "What an amazing ring. Looks to be at least 100 years old. May I take a closer look?"



"Sure." Kat held out her hand.



Annie caught hold of the eyeglasses dangling from a royal blue chord on her neck. She took Kat's left

ring finger and moved it back and forth. The small diamond glinted with each movement.



"Very nice."



"Thanks. It was my grandmother's and her mother's before her."



"Are congratulations in order, or are you wearing it for the beautiful piece it is?" "I am engaged."

Annie concentrated onthering. "Nottoberude,butifyoueverwant tosell it, I'dbeinterested."She

raised her eyes to Kat's.



"It's been in the family a while, and it will stay in the family." Annie's face lit in a quick, warm smile. "Always a saleswoman." "Understand."

"Bring him by and introduce him. Maybe there's something in the shop you'd both like."



"I'll tell him when he gets back to town." Kat looked at her watch. "Gotta run. Nice meeting you."

Kat checked the time again. Oh, man, it's late. Sorry, BC, you'll just have to wait. Kat jogged up the street to the police station. The old brass bell chimed her entrance. She hurried to the desk she occupied part- time as the sheriff's secretary--when there was a sheriff. Police chief. She reminded herself. There are no sheriffs in Southcentral Alaska--or anywhere else in Alaska.



"I'll miss Bart's title," she mused aloud. Bart Andersen had always been called sheriff by the townspeople. The title fit both him and the small town that so reminded Kat of the Old West in the Lower 48. Kat sighed and slid into her chair. She picked up the phone.



"Hey beautiful." The warm tone of Ken Melbourne's voice caressed Kat's lonely core. "I miss you so much."

"I miss you, too."



"Do you know when you're coming back?" "Still don't."

"Well, I gotanoffer tobuymyringtoday."



"Saying you want to break up?"



"No. Just saying I'm not sure we'll ever get to a wedding at this rate. You're never here long enough." "You know I have to do this right now, Kat."

"I don't. But I believe you think you do."



"I've got a phone conference with Binnings tomorrow. I'll see if I can pin him down on a return time." Kat shook her head. I've heard this before, and nothing has changed.

"Hey, are you there?"



I'm here. I guess I can't ask for much more." Kat forced her tone to be warm and hopeful. "I promise I won't be here forever. You may not believe it, but I don't enjoy being apart.

"I know," Kat whispered.



"I'll call with an update tomorrow."



"Tomorrow then... oh, I forgot. I'm leaving for Anchorage so I'll call you." "Another grocery run?"

"No. Longtime friend is in some trouble."

"What kind?"



"Not sure." Kat grimaced at telling the small fib. "Call me as soon as you find out."

Kattookadeep breath."Betweenyou andBart awomancouldcometobelievesheistotallyincapable

of living life. This is a friend, not an evil entity. Life before Iconoclast was normal. I'm going to venture a guess here and say it's normal again."



Ken chuckled. "Maybe. Still, call me when you get there. I might be able to help."



"Will do. I love you." Kat pushed the call-release button and held the phone in her hand just a bit longer--she hadn't told Ken how much she missed his touch and how lonely she was. She reached for the keypad then placed the phone in the cradle.



"Get a grip, lovesick girl." She wrote a quick note to Bart saying she'd reimburse the city for the personal call.



Kat stepped towards the door, completely unaware of the ebony vapor rising up through the floor boards. It came to full height and cast a deep shadow over the doorway to the jail cell. A threatening smile formed on the featureless mist and revealed razor-sharp teeth. A thin, translucent arm raced out of the fog and through her torso.



Icy chills coursed through Kat's body. She shivered. "Guess I'm more concerned about this trip to Anchorage than I thought."She yanked the door open and stepped onto Main. She pulled the cell phone from her fleece jacket and dialed.



"What's up, KittyKat?"



"Mandy Thomas called. I'm going to Anchorage. Can you take care of BC?"



"There's a name I haven't heard for a while. She in trouble again?" There was no mistaking the

accusatory tone in Wendy Hareling's voice. "Seems so."

"Glad shecalled you instead ofme. I'lltakeBC. Justdon'tbeupsetifhe'swithDocDouglaswhen you

get back. He is not the friendliest animal." "Just be nice to him, and he'll be nice to you." "Right. When you leaving?"

"Depends." "On...?"

"Can I borrow your car, too? I'm afraid Bart's old truck might end up broken down between here and somewhere I can't get cell service." The question hung unanswered for what felt like an eternity.



"When are you going to get a car of your own? Don't you get tired of asking for a car or hitching a ride with someone?"



"As a matter of fact, I do," Kat said. "As soon as I have the cash, I'll beeline it to a car dealer. Until then, I

really need to borrow your car."



"Alright. But only because you are my best friend in the world--and on one condition." "Which is... ?"

"You'll have it back no later than one week from today." "I don't know what I'm going to run into."

"Well, I know Mandy. She'll keep you there as long as she can if it suits her." "You're right. Deal. Going home to pack."

o



Kat drove through the cobalt-blue light of Southcentral Alaska's summer twilight. "I never tire of this," she whispered as she marveled at the high mountains and green trees lining the highway. She stopped at the Kenai River and let her eyes drink in the aqua-colored water rushing to its destination--the Cook Inlet. Dedicated fishermen and at least one fisherwoman dotted the banks of the river. A true Kodak moment. Kat smiled and turned back to the car.



She stopped again at Turnagain Pass and took a deep breath. The crisp mountain air refreshed her. The late-evening peace of the pass relaxed her. On to the big city. She felt a pang of excitement laced with anxiety.



The traffic and noise affronted her senses and sent her nervous system into high alert. Although she loved this city, she did not enjoy the fast-moving traffic. A semi whizzed past, shaking the small Subaru. Kat gripped the wheel until her knuckles screamed in protest. "I'll be home in a week, I promise you, Wendy. A twenty-something driver in a low-rider whipped in front of her, forcing her to hit the brakes, and almost caused a pileup on the New Seward Highway. He whisked onto the off-ramp. "Maybe sooner than a week."



Kat exited and stopped at an open-all-night Denny's. Other than a group of teenagers who sat is a horseshoe-shaped booth sharing a plate of french-fries, the place was empty. Kat lowered herself into a small booth.



"Welcome to Denny's. What can I get you?" A perky waitress with royal-blue hair grinned down at her.

Kat ordered a cup of coffee and pulled out her cell phone. "I'm here. Where are you?"

"At my shop."



"At three in the morning?"



"Been having a visit with Mr. Anchorage policeman. Just finished up at their station, and thought I'd try to unwind a bit."



"You are under suspicion for something?"



"Told you I was. A guy's missing and, for some reason, I'm the prime suspect."



Kat thought, Bart's right. If you didn't have bad luck you'd have none at all, Mandy my friend. "How do I

get there?" Kat scribbled the directions on a napkin. "I'll be at your shop in thirty minutes."



Kat paid and headed west. She pulled into a seedy-looking strip mall and stopped in front of a blinking

red sign announcing, "Massage, anytime day or night."



"This can't be right." Kat picked up the napkin and squinted at her scribbles. She looked up and locked eyes with a petite woman glaring at her through the massage parlor's window. "Sorry," Kat mouthed, let her foot of the brake and inched forward.



She stopped at a door wedged into the corner of the mall when she saw Mandy waving from behind the glass. Mandy unlocked the door when Kat got out of the car. She ran to Kat and dragged her into a bear hug. "Thanks for coming. I don't know what I'd have done if you hadn't."



© Copyright 2014 MaryAnnPoll (maryannpoll at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2006580-Gorgon