*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2008138-Take-Shelter-Little-Squirels
Rated: E · Short Story · Nature · #2008138
all animals need a place out of the rain
         This is a short story of our outdoor pets of should I say kids.These little creatures are on the cute and on the funny side whether it be the squirles, blue jays or the tiny birds along with the big black birds that get rather annoying at times. At first it started out with just me feeding the squirles since I was the only one living in the duplexand the squirles got on the spoiled side. Then when my neighbor moved in up stairs he started feeding them too and we got to talking about what type of food they eat.There were only few in the begining but I could tell that they were more friendly than I thougt. In the morning I usually had a cup of coffee and cigarett as I did every morning and eventually added bread and peanuts to for the squirles and they would sit around the porch and eat or they would get the nuts and run and stash them for a later time. Then, in the summer time people that got ice cream and DQ they had some on a spoon and I was really supprised when the squirel started eating the ice cream and then snatched the spoon out of the guys hand and scurried up the tree ice cream and spoon he was just like a kid and then when he was done he dropped the spoon on the drive way. I never knew they would eat ice cream but the way they did it was just like a child getting something that they really wanted.We were all laughing and supprised so we made it a point to try and not run out of nuts for the squirles. Next, came the noisy Blue Jays and Black Birds. To sit and watch these creatures is kind of funny as well. They started eating the peanuts,so now we were feeding them as well which I don't think the squirels were too happy. The Blue Jays sat and pecked on the peanuts and some even tried to fly away with a few in thier beaks which they were not very successful but they did manage to get into the trees and peck away at them. Now, on the issue with the annoying black birds or ravens or what ever they are called these are a trip to watch. They willl try and take two or three peanuts unshelled in their beaks and fly away but I think thier bodies are more like lead weight because when they try and take three nuts in thier beaks its almost like they cant get off the ground or they would try and rearrange them until they could get them just right. Now if you threw bread out the birds would scarf all of it they could to the point that they had so much food that they had it hanging out of both sides of their beaks and no one was going to get that from them.

Now getting back to my little squirles, the ones who play in the street with the eighteen wheelers and cars they also caught my heart the other day when we were getting the storms. He was drenched, tring to find a place to stay warm and dry.I know they have a nest in a few trees out front here but getting in befoe it starts down pouring is a challange. Ive seen them try and get shelter from the small branches with leaves but when its pouring we have to guide them to the nest in the tree and its really like they can understand what we are sayng to them. There are times when they were so drenched that I just wanted to get a towel and dry them off and keep them warm but they are not indoor pets.The way they play outside swinging and jumping from tree to tree I can only imagine what they would do inside a house. I May just have to find a way to make them a place out side so that they can stay dry.Can you imagine how much fun they would have?




© Copyright 2014 morning dove (njl1970 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2008138-Take-Shelter-Little-Squirels