*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2009581-Tears-Working-title
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Runei
Rated: E · Chapter · Other · #2009581
A chapter (part of) from a story Im working on.
“This is a disgrace,” Korshan said.

The rain had started pouring down as soon as Emric had left the command-tent. The Knight-Lord glanced at his second-in-command. It was clear that the man was furious. The whole cadre had been disarmed and were now being watched by twenty legionaries with nervous eyes. Inside the dead general's, the Banner-Captain's were discussing loudly.

“Calm yourself Korshan,” Emric told the younger man.

“But how dare they question us? We’re Knights of the Order. Are they without morals? Do they not see their errors?”

“They’re scared and confused. Who wouldn’t be? They just found out their general was a demon.”

“Yes, and that’s why they should listen to us. We are the experts in these matters.” Korshan was grinding his teeth.

“Yes, Korshan. But they will come around.” Emric said in a cold voice. I have to keep calm.

The flap of the tent was cast to the side as one of the Banner-Captains strode outside. The man was commander of the First Banner Emric could tell from his insignia. This must be Captain Torrus. A legend of a man. One of the few soldiers who had started as a commoner and legionnaire, and now held the second-highest rank of the military.

“Knight-Lord,” Torrus approached with a grim look on his face, “How did it come to pass that one of the Spawn held such a notable position within the Empire? Aren't you supposed to keep this from happening?”

“That, I cannot tell you, Captain. Because I do not know it. I simply received a name which I had to investigate. So in a sense, we did handle it.”

The captain studied him intensely.

“This is a very bad time for this to happen. With the recent loss of three captains, and the threat of open rebellion, we needed a strong leader.”

“I understand, Captain. And by Imperial Law, you are no in charge. I have the utmost respect for your talents, and I'm sure you will make a fine general.”

“Not something I had hoped for,” the captain scowled.

From the tent two other Banner-Captains emerged.

“Torrus! We’ve reached a decision.” Emric could see that Torrus grimaced as the newcomer spoke.

“Tell me then, Lorn, what is your great plan?”

“Spare me the sarcasm. This is a joint decision. Lord Renn will take charge.”

“You’re kidding me, right?!” Torrus spun around. “You’re giving command to that spoiled prick?”

“He’s the Cavalry Commander, and from a prestigious noble family,”

“What the fuck does that have to do with anything?” Torrus was fuming.

“Captain.. Lorn, was it?” Emric interrupted.

“What is it?” the man said with an arrogance that made Emric bite his lips.

“The Cavalry Commander is not supposed to be in charge of the legion. That is against the regulations,”

“These are desperate times, Knight-Lord, and a military matter. Please stay out of this.”

“Lorn, you can’t be serious,” Torrus began. “Are you trying to gain some sort of favor from Renn’s family? That idiot can’t even sit on a horse correctly.”

“The decision has been made, Torrus. You’d best watch your mouth. It’s unlikely that you and your Spears of Fire will remain the First Banner.”

Torrus barked a laugh and left shaking his head in dismay.

“What about us, Captain Lorn?” Emric asked. Lorn studied him for a moment.

"Of course you can leave Knight-Lord Emric. I am still very confused about how you managed to kill the general. I've heard that those demons are notoriously dangerous to take on single handedly. Some even say they are impossible to kill alone.

"The Church has its ways."

"I'm sure it has. Well, thank you for your service," he turned to the sergeant commanding the detail of legionaries watching them. "Report back to your lieutenants."

Just leave, Emric. You’re finished with the legion. It’s not your fight anymore. There are more important things, he thought as he stared at the back of Banner-Captain Lorn.

The knights collected their equipment in silence, all feeling the mood their commander was in. Their horses had been watered and fed, and had been tied to poles in part of the camp reserved for cavalry. As the knights began leading them toward the gates of the legion fort, they could see the scared or sometimes angry looks from the legionaries. The story of what had transpired in the generals tent was apparently spreading quickly through the camp, and not everywhere it was well received.

"Sometimes I wonder if people know the danger that these demons pose," Korshan said beside him. Emric nodded. He understood the points and had similar thoughts from time to time.

"Perhaps they don't. And maybe that's a sign we are doing it so well?" he commented.

"Yes. Perhaps too well?"

"No." They went on in silence.

Emrics thoughts were swirling. Seeing all this again made him nostalgic. And he couldn’t help but feel responsible for the misery the legion was now in. The man was a demon, he reminded himself, it was good that he died.

“Emric!” a voice called. He turned around and saw a man running toward them. Instinctively his knights half drew their swords and positioned themselves as a shield in front of him. The man stopped in his tracks, and Emric frowned. I know this person.

“Simmok?” he asked.

“Yes! From the Twelth!”

“By the Flame!” Emric pushed through his knights aside and embraced Simmok. “I thought you were dead!”

“Ha! Jukassi bandits need more than arrows to kill off this bastard!”

“How did you end up here?”

“Well after the incident in Parschen, and a few months after you left, the Twelth was disbanded,”

“So that’s how Maidens Joy got here?”

“Exactly!” Simmok laughed. “It was a long march but we arrived here about two years ago. And we’ve been in shit ever since.”
© Copyright 2014 Runei (runei at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2009581-Tears-Working-title