*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2009753-My-story-in-the-beginning
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Draft · Action/Adventure · #2009753
Started as a fanfiction but became more ad had to change the beginning
So when I started writing this, it was a fanfiction for the show Once Upon A Time. Yeah, I'm one of those. Then the story turned somehow and I found myself inventing new characters and adventures. I am currently handwriting the story so going back and erasing it would waste time. So here is a bit of the new beginning. Yes I know I need to work on the details but just bear with me a second.


The day was like any other day in the castle. My tutors droned on about this country and that country and why it was important. I could not tolerate to hear them, for today my father, King Rowand, was coming home from the war. I played with the hem of my skirts under the table, practically bouncing up and down. The lookout in the high tower had been up since dawn with his spyglass, scanning the horizon for the ships. I craned my neck to the window and strained hard to see the water that would bring home my father and the warriors. How much longer must I pretend to have the faintest interest in anything else before they finally give up and let me go? My answer came when I heard my tutor slam his heavy book of Diplomatic Treaties and How To Apply Them on the table.
"Princess Availa, if you are not going to pay attention for your own sake, do so for the sake of your father. Our king has been gone many months and what will he think if he returns and finds out that his only heir is no more ready to take the throne than a pig farmers son? Now enough of your fidgeting. Turn to your book or I'll get the paddle on you."
I knew he would never actually paddle me for Master Midear loved me as his own child and he knew I saw right through him. The fidgeting continued for another half hour before he sighed in defeat and dismissed me to the shoreline. I loved the run down to the sand more than anything. The difference between the soft grass and rough sand was almost hypnotizing in how suddenly I could go from being in one to the other. I always said it was magic though Father only laughed. Once on the shore line I walked into the water and stood there, letting the salt soak up into my skirts. I never cared for being careful with them and was determined not to let prim and proper manners stop me from waiting for my father. He had been gone nearly seven months, but each felt like a year of loneliness and solitude with none but scholars and nannies to fill the void. I stood for hours until my feet turned to shriveled grapes and my skirts weighed so much they had to be left behind on the sands. They would not come today after all. Father, why are you so far away? Please come home soon. I returned to the castle in low spirits to find everyone around me hustling and bustling about. Rugs were being aired and windows opened to the sea air. Could it be? Yes! Father was coming home! His ship was near! Oh to be in his arms once more! I lost myself in the deliciousness of it all, letting the maids dress me i the finest silks. Finally the moment came and the ships made way to the docks. I ran forward to the main ship, Her Lady Grace, so named after my dearly departed mother. It was Father's favorite ship and he always set sail behind her helm. The planks were set, and there stood dearest Uncle Brutus, my father's brother and second in command.
"Uncle! Uncle I'm here! Where is Father?"
He could not hear me over the crowd until there was a sudden silence. Why did no one speak or cheer? Where was my father? I pushed Nanny Brianna away and ran up the planks. Father was here and they should celebrate. I ran past my uncle despite his protests. The men stood looking at me with strange expressions.
"Father?" I asked in a voice smaller than I was expecting.
My Uncle took my hand but as he turned me around I saw him. He lay on a small pile of blankets, his shield on his chest, his eyes closed, and his face pale and void of the laughter I expected. Why did he not move? Why did he not speak?
"Availa..."
My uncle sounded far away. Suddenly the world went black and I remember nothing.
© Copyright 2014 bwhiteba (bwhiteba at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2009753-My-story-in-the-beginning