*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2009937-Carols-Barbies
Rated: 13+ · Other · Comedy · #2009937
Write your character's most formative memory. Write it in real time
Word Count: 639

"Mommy!"

"What Carol, Dear?" Mommy yelled back for me. I wanted to play with my Barbie's but she had put them up too high for me to reach. Nanny Rachael was supposed to come over and play with me but something had happened and mommy had told me that she would never be coming back. Mommy said that Nanny Rachael needed to learn to not play with other people's toys. I didn't care if she played with my toys. She was nice and let me play video games and go swimming whenever I wanted. Finally Mommy came into my bedroom and looked at me, her eyes were red. "What do you want Sweetheart?"

"I want my Barbies. You said that if I was a good girl and ate my breakfast that I could play with my Babrbies." I pointed to the top of my closet where my dolls were. Mommy reached up and pulled down three of my favorite dolls, and gave them to me. "Mommy you forgot the Ken doll. Barbie and Ken are going to get married today, so that they can have babies."

"You know Carol, sometimes people don't have to get married. It's ok that a woman doesn't want a husband. Its better you learn this now, rather than later. You're 6 years old and I want to make sure that you are raised right, with the same ideals that my mother instilled into me." Mommy got the Ken doll off of the shelf but held him in her hand for a while. She started crying again, so I ran up to her and put my arms around her leg. "Its ok honey, it's ok. Mommy just misses Grandma is all. Now as I was saying, you are old enough to understand these things that I am teaching you. You don't have to get married if you don't want to, especially to miserable, alcoholic bastard. I want you to make the right choice for you. If you want to be President one day, then by golly you do that."

"Daddy says that girls can't be President. Daddy says that girls should get married and have babies, so that is what I'm gonna do." Mommy's eyes got smaller, her lips became one line, her nose made a funny sound almost like a dragon. "Daddy says that you are a bad example for me."

Before I said anything else, Mommy had hit my face. It was the first time that anyone had ever done anything like it. Everyone always called me 'Princess' and gave me hugs but Mommy hit me. I was really mad at Mommy, I didn't want her to play with me anymore.

"You don't have to do everything that your Father tells you. God knows that I don't and I am much happier now that I realized that I can do whatever I want to do." I wasn't listening to Mommy, I was crying. I wanted Daddy there to hug me and make me feel better. Mommy was mean. "Stop crying and listen to me. You have to listen to what I am telling you."

I didn't listen though, I ran out of my room to get away from mean Mommy. I would hide until Daddy got home and then he would yell at Mommy for being mean. Before I could hide though Mommy found me, and asked why I was crying. "Because you hit me, Idiot."

I heard Daddy call someone an idiot before and knew that it was ok to say, as long as they really were one. Daddy told me so. And everything Daddy told me was true, because I was his favorite girl in the whole wide world. He even liked me better than Mean Mommy. "Go to your room."

Mommy had left my dolls out for me to play with. Barbie and Ken got married and lived happily ever after.

© Copyright 2014 Author Ed Anderson (spaz11081 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2009937-Carols-Barbies