*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2011459-We-Found-Love
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Romance/Love · #2011459
Sahraa was a single mother lioness of three, until she met him.
It was morning at Sahraa’s home, and her cubs had just awaken, full of energy. Nick was the first to get up, and was running around to make his mother wake up, calling “mom” all the time.

– Gosh, why do you always have to be SO damn noisy, Nick? – Said an annoyed Harry.

– Oh, come on! Cheer up! It’s morning again, and the sun is shining as bright as ever! I can’t wait to go outside!

– The sun is nice, playing is nice, but you screaming in my ears at this time is NOT nice. – Cleo was also angry.

– Let’s not start our beautiful day arguing, kids. Good morning. – Said Sahraa, smiling at them.

– Morning, mom! – The three answered at the same time.

– Good morning, Alana. – She turned her head to face the cousin.

– Morning.

– Are you excited about today? – She turned back to the cubs.

– Yes, I can’t wait to see mom go hunting! – Nick started jumping.

– Really? But you know that you have to stay quiet while I’m hunting, right darling?

– Yes, mom! – Nick smiled.

– Are you going to stay here, Alana? – She nodded. – Alright, then. Let’s go. – Sahraa went out of their cave, with her cubs right behind her.

They went to a tall grass field, where the zebras were eating. Hunting alone was not easy, but Sahraa had a lot of experience, which made possible for her raise her cubs by herself.

– Alright, kids. You stay here while I will get your lunch. Just watch, but don’t get closer. – She whispered. After the three nodding, Sahraa went for the kill, silently and cautiously approaching the zebras.

– Can you guess which one mom’s taking down? – Asked Nick, with a provoking smile.

– Mom told us to go after the smallest or hurt ones so... – Began Cleo.

– She’d probably chase that one. – Harry pointed to a zebra that had an injury on its back leg.

– Pff... I find it boring. – Nick rolled his eyes.

– What is boring? – Asked Harry.

– She should take one more challenging, I wanted to see some action!

– You want our mom hurt? – Harry growled.

– She wouldn’t ever get hurt! – He laughed.

– How do you even know that?!

– Come on, it’s our mom!

– You’re really hopeless, Nick.

– Whatever, I’m not staying here.

– Then where are you going?

– Gonna look for some real fun.

– You know that if you get in trouble mom will get really angry!

– I know, I know, whatever. – He went away.

– Why does he never listen to us? – Harry asked Cleo.

– That’s something I’d like to know too. – Cleo sighed. – What are we gonna do? Wait for mom or go after him?

– Do you think he’ll be fine?

– I bet he will. It’s our brother after all. – She chuckled.

– Oh, please. Don’t start sounding like him.

– Sorry.

Harry and Cleo stayed there, waiting for their mother to come back with the hunt, which did not take long. She soon came back with the wounded zebra and spent quite some time looking at both Harry and Cleo.

– Uhm... well... Nick... is... somewhere around... – Harry lowered his head.

– He said he wanted to play... – Cleo complemented.

Sahraa let go of her kill to speak.

– Fine, let’s take our food home and we’ll search for him.

– Wait, wait! I’m here!  – Nick came running.

– Nick. Do I have to say anything? – Sahraa looked at him with a disapproving expression.

– N-no, mom... – Nick lowered his ears and smiled.

They went back to their home and had their lunch. Afterwards, the three kids went inside the cave to have a nap, while Sahraa stayed outside in the rocks with her kill, attentive to everything around her, until something caught her eye. She got up and cautiously got closer to see what it was. Her discovery was definitely not a good one. She stayed still and silent, waiting for a first movement.

The male lion she saw came closer slowly, his eyes fixed on her. When they were close enough, he smiled and presented himself.

– Hello, my lady. I am Raymond. Pleased to meet you.

– Sahraa. – She remained serious. – What brings you here?

– Sorry, it was the scent of food. But looks like it already has an owner. I haven’t eaten for days.

– You can have it, I’m already full. She turned around and walked past the carcass, sitting quite far from it.

– Thank you very much. – He got closer and ate the carcass, leaving a little meat left.

Sahraa was really hoping that he did not find her cubs. After all, she did not know if he could be a threat.

– Again, I’d like to thank you for this meal…

– No problem. – She interrupted.

– ...No, but I want to do something in return. What can I do for you, my lady?

– Uhm... there’s nothing you can do, it’s fine!

– Can we go for a walk?

– Uhm…Can it be very short?

– Well, sure.

Sahraa stood up and walked beside the lion, who was leading the way.

– Where are we going?

– You’ll see when we get there. – He smiled.

– Uhm… May I ask you why you are here?

– Well, I was expelled from my pride, so I have been wandering around since. What about you? What is a lady like you doing alone?

– I’m not really alone. I have my cousin with me. But well, I was expelled.

– Why?

– Uhm… it’s a difficult thing to explain.

They talked a bit more before they reached a waterfall.

– Wow… it’s beautiful here. – Sahraa was impressed.

– You never came here?

– No… well… it hasn't been long since I’m here…

– Do you like it here?

– Yes, I do. It’s so peaceful.

– Want to drink some water? Let’s get closer.

They drank the fresh water, and Raymond jumped on it and started swimming.

– Care to join me? – He smiled.

– No, thanks. Maybe another time. – She chuckled, pulling an amusement sound from Raymond. – W-what?

– This was the first time I ever saw you smiling.

– Oh…

– You look beautiful.

– W-well… T-thank you. – She was feeling a bit embarrassed. – Oh… I have to go.

– I’ll take you back home.

– N-no… it’s ok. I’ll go on my own from now. – And she ran away.

When she was back, Alana and her cubs were sitting in the cave entrance, worried about her. Nick was the first to speak.

– Where were you, mom?

– I’m sorry… I met someone…

– Who? – Asked Alana.

– A male lion.

– Gosh! Did he do something bad to you?

– N-no… He did not seem to be bad.

– Where is he now?

– At the waterfall. He took me there…

– Cousin, you have to be careful! Something bad could have happened!

– I know! But it’s as I said…

– Let’s go back inside before he comes back.

– I’ll stay here.

– What?!

– I don’t want him to discover my kids. If I’m here, he won’t have to enter the cave!

– It’s dangerous to sleep here!

– Don’t argue with me, Alana. I’m not changing my mind. Now you all go inside and I’ll stay here.

– Fine. – Alana sighed. – Take care of yourself.

A cold night came, and Sahraa decided to stay in the entrance of the cave because she was shivering. She didn’t want to fall asleep soon, but her tiredness overcame her, and soon she drowned in her dreams.

In the next two days everything was back to normal, except Sahraa’s thoughts. Somehow, she couldn’t stop thinking about the small time she spent with Raymond. She wanted to meet him again. But he didn’t come back.

But then, that night, Sahraa was almost falling asleep in the open, until she heard something moving. She immediately stood up, alert, and what she saw was Raymond. She relaxed, and a small smile appeared.

– Hi. – He whispered to her.

– H-hi… W-where have you been?

– What?

– Oh… – She got embarrassed when she realized what she said. – I-it’s nothing, forget it please!

– Did you miss me, my lady? – He chuckled. – Nah, just kidding. But what is my lady doing outside in the cold when there is a cave right in front of you?

– I guess I got too tired… – She chuckled.

– Do you want me to take you inside?

– N-no, I’m fine. What brings you back here?

– I missed my lady. – His words make her heart speed up.

He started to slowly approach her, and see how she reacted. Despite feeling a bit uneasy, it didn’t seem she didn’t want him close to her. He touched her nose with his, and backed up afterwards, looking tenderly in her eyes. She was the one to make the next move, which surprised him – she rubbed her head on his chin and stayed like that for a while with her eyes closed. When she opened them, though, she noticed she was going too fast, and got away from him.

– What’s wrong, my lady?

– I-I’m sorry… But I shouldn’t…

– You shouldn’t what?

– Tell me, Raymond… Do you like kids?

– I don’t think I get along with them too well, but yours are adorable.

– W-what? You knew I had kids?

– Actually yes. It was one of them who brought me here, indirectly. I followed him. – He chuckled.

Tears formed in her eyes and she sighed, chuckling afterwards.

– What is it now?

– I was afraid… something bad would happen with them…

– I’d never harm any of them, sweetheart.

– Look! It’s mom and a stranger! – Shouted Nick.

– Nick! – Harry and Cleo shouted at him.

– What are you doing kids? Have you been spying on us? – Asked an annoyed Sahraa.

– N-no, we hav-

– Yes, they have. – Answered Alana.

– Why didn’t you make them sleep?

– Sorry, cousin. They were just impossible.

Cleo went out of the cave and approached the lion, smiling at him.

– Hii! I’m Cleo!

– Hey, wait up! – Said Nick, running after Cleo. Harry went after them calmly. – Heya!! I’m Nick. And that guy there is Harry.

– Hi, kids. I’m Raymond.

– Are you mom’s new boyfriend? – Asked Cleo, innocently.

– Alright, kids. It’s time to go to bed. – Sahraa stood up and pushed them away lightly with her head.

– We’ll only go if mom goes with us! – Said Nick.

– It’s alright, sweetheart. You can go. – Chuckled Raymond.

– Well… care to join us? – She smiled.

– Well, why not? – He smiled back.

That night no one was cold or alone. And there was more. Sahraa and Raymond had found love. One that would seem to last forever.
© Copyright 2014 Chosaguro (chosaguro at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2011459-We-Found-Love