*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2013076-Embracing-Shadows-Prologue
by Pixie
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #2013076
Once upon a time . . .
Prologue          


         Once upon a time a tyrannical King was out witted by the daughter he should not have let live.  That daughter is me, Princess Lilliana, standing outside the closed doors to Alena's great hall, reciting the tale I know will be written about me.  It will be the fairy tale ending my life needs: the evil King will get what he deserves, the kingdom will be free, and mother, Nalia and I will finally be safe.

         I have practiced what I will say to gain the support of the court, that I know where the bodies of the Kings heirs are buried; that I have proof the King killed them.  It is all that was lacking to bring truth to the stories whispered around the castle. Lords, ladies, and peasants all believed the King had done it, but there was no proof.

         The graves are hidden in the gardens, seven in all.  Seven babes torn from mother's arms at birth, some before.  The King wanted no male heirs, no one to challenge his rule of the kingdom, so he killed them.  If not for my fairer sex I would be dead and Nalia too.  Alas, I am but a girl, a harmless weakling that never posed a threat, until this day.

         Today I will become what the King feared, a child with the courage to make him pay for his sins against our family.  Against his people.

         Opening the doors I walk into the room with an heir of righteousness.  No one pays me any notice, their eyes focused on the dais.  I hear mother scream before I see the King strike her down.  She collapse to floor weeping, her hand pressed to her mouth, blood creeping from her lips.

         This is when I should start my speech, a midst one of his countless acts of brutality, but I don't.  I run to my mother, screaming at the King not to hurt her.  My arms wrap around her, my body acting as a shield to ward off another blow.  I am no match for his strength.  The King wrenches me from her, his fingers biting down to the bone on my arm.  He looks ready to strike me.

         “Let me go, or I will tell them.”
         
         “Tell them what?” the Kings eyes narrow in suspicion.

         “The truth.”

         “So, tell them,” he sneers at me, then raises his voice, “It seems our little princess has something to say before her punishment begins.”

         All of their attention is on me, I balk, this is not how it was supposed to be.

         “Don't keep them waiting Lilli, spit it out before I lose my patience.”

         “I know where you buried them.”

         “And who might 'them' be, child?”

         “Your sons.”

         The King smiles, then laughs, turning to the royal court gathered as witness, “Did any of you hear that?  Nothing but lies from the mouth of a child, an act of treason against the king.”

         “Phillip, let her go!” mother screams.  She is coming towards us, her arms outstretched, pleading, “She does not know what she is saying.”

         The king backhands her before she can reach me, his attention never leaving my fear stricken face. His voice lowers to a whisper, “I know what you saw, what you think you know, and you are sorely mistaken, daughter.  I will not have you running around stirring up trouble and drawing unwanted attention. There is only one sure way to ensure that does not happen again.”

         There is no pain like being punched in the face, a blinding force that leaves my sight bordering on darkness, the irony taste of blood filling my mouth. Mother screams.  Bones break.  A kick to my stomach, to my ribs, another and another, each strike bringing me back to reality with shooting pain, then plunging into the abyss.

         “I want her out of my sight!”

© Copyright 2014 Pixie (amoura_renee at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2013076-Embracing-Shadows-Prologue