*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2013495-KANSAS-CITY-KITTY
Rated: 18+ · Other · Cultural · #2013495
A Dream is worth...



Kitty was born and raised in the state and city of Kansas.  Kansas had an important share of the nation’s development, having been accepted into the U.S. Union, in 1861.  While proud of its several better known residents, the state is probably also remembered as the home of Russell Stover Candy and the Eskimo Pie; important contributions to America’s sweet tooth.  A few may remember a lady of leisure’s lesser contribution to that great state that will not be found in our history books. 

The happiness and well-being of a sector of the young male population depended on this lady, and others like her, who graciously offered themselves for an hours entertainment.  Kitty was known throughout her neighborhood by the local swains for her seeming affection, and true sportsmanship, and was well sought after.  She was intuitive of the minds of her clients. 
~~~

She walked briskly down Chestnut Street on this dry late autumn day, kicking aside the falling leaves wondering what the evening would bring.  It was too early to expect the usual scattering of would-be Johns on the prowl.  She breathed deeply in the cool fresh air; invigorating to her soul.

She was well-built for her calling, and eager clients would bring her night to a profitable conclusion.  This evening would be like so many others. 

She thought back and remembered Frank, her father, who was an emotionless sober man who regarded everything near him as his chattel including his daughter, Kitty, and whose body was only meant to add to the family’s income.  Her mother had died shortly after giving birth to Kitty and both were solely dependant on him.  Although she was never molested by her father, his warped sense of morality put her out to other men in a disgusting disregard for her own feelings. 

In time, this debased arrangement left her inured to a saddened approach to life and to the complete mistrust of men.

It was a kind of life she eventually came to tolerate; constantly on a fling, but inwardly jealous of the women who lived a normal life. 

She knew that life was more than a bowl of cherries, and faced a harsh reality.

“Hi sis,” was the first candidate of the evening’s happy salutation.

“So, you’re out for a little fun, Mister?”  She echoed in the same spirit.

“That’s what I’m here for,” he smiled.

“Just follow me to my place.” 

On the way they discussed rates and if he had any particular kinky aspects, for which she would try to please him.

She was very proficient and during the source of her artistic development.  She developed a following of clientele as important as in any other trade.  The men preferred this kind of extra curricular hobby because no permanent attachment ever came of it.  She rarely had a one sided attachment for an occasional client, but she knew and expected it would never go anywhere.  That is, until along came a young man named Gary.  Even before he touched her, she felt a strange unexpected spark go through her body that jumped between them.  At first, he threw himself upon her as all the others had done.  His young eyes met hers.

“I can tell you haven’t done this very often,” she said. 
“I’ve been around, but not with you.  What’s your name?”

Kitty normally refused that information, but the strangest feeling caused a drop in her defense. 

“Kitty,” she said proudly.  Her wall of distrust showed cracks. She always resisted such feelings, but not this time.  When he was about to leave he noticed a teardrop in her eye. 

“Why are you crying, and smearing your pretty face?”

“Don’t worry about me, I’ll be alright.  You reminded me of someone I once knew.  You may not believe it, but we girls have feelings too.”

“Of course you have,” he said as he gave her a friendly longing glance before leaving.

Kitty’s eyes followed him, and tried to put him out of her mind. “Maybe he’ll come back again.”  She faltered hopefully.

Kitty despaired of anything seriously growing from this casual relationship between them.

As it does, occasionally, good luck befalls the unexpected.  Sure enough Gary found Kitty.  A few days later in her room he sat her down.  “I’ve been thinking of you, in fact, you’ve been interfering with my sleep. 

Kitty smiled.  “You’re very kind,” bowing her head. 

“You seem different from other girlfriends.  I want to know you better,” he stated sincerely lifting her chin to face him.

Kitty had not heard such comforting words for as long as she could remember. 

“Are you sure?  Do you want to be known as a friend of my kind of woman? In spite of my disdain for men, I secretly pray for salvation from a cursed damnation, through a rare encounter with one like you.  I don’t expect that much will come of your interest in me.  Most of my type end up on the burgeoning junk pile of discarded humanity.

Look in to my eyes and you will see nothing but failure.”

“You really are down on yourself, Kitty.  Your eyes tell me everything,” he said drawing her closely.  “The beautiful blue blends with your attractive face and tells me you are a vibrant person, loving and good hearted.  You see Kitty, the heart and soul show through the window of your eyes, depending on what the observer searches for and wants to find. I have found what I knew was always there.”

“No one has ever spoken to me like that, Gary.  The next thing you will ask of me is to give up this kind of life,” said Kitty reproachfully.

“I have no right to tell you what to do, Kitty.  Of course I would like to see you do that; but it is your life and you can make what you want of it.  But I want you to know that now, you have a choice; that is, if you feel about me as I do about you.”

“I was hoping this day would come,” said Kitty, “and now that it has arrived I am filled with a happiness so strange as to befuddle my brain.  Yet, I am overwhelmed by the reality of the difficulty of becoming part of a respected man’s world.  It may be as difficult for you as it may be for me.  Maybe so difficult for you, that you will awake one morning, afraid to face yourself in the mirror.

Kitty stopped to catch her breath.  She felt there was nothing more to add to dissuade this gallant young man from so serious a decision.  Her attempts at dissuasion only brought him closer.

“Don’t you think Kitty,” he said, “that from the goodness of your heart I already knew what you were about to say?  I am so sure of myself, that not to take the risks you fear, and to be without you would haunt me to the end of my days.  Life is short, and is not a rehearsal.  Every time we cross a busy street we are challenged.  I am thirty-five years old, a musician, write and arrange music.  My parents are remote and divorced.  No siblings.  I have the wherewithal to care for a family.  I work hard and use no drugs.”

“There, you have my application,” he laughed.  Then seriously, “Won’t you put your stamp of approval on it?”

“You don’t know me at all,” replied Kitty.  “My father was aloof physically, but forced me into this.”  She swept her arm in an arc displaying her worldly goods as well as pointing to herself. She did not answer his question.

~~~

Kitty’s father knew the street that she worked.  After an absence of many months he accosted her there the next day and was in rather seedy condition.  She walked right passed him; he ran after her. 

“What are you doing here, father?  Who are you pimping for lately?” 

“I know I have never been a father to you, but you’re still my daughter.”

“Yes you are, a fine father.  You should be proud getting me into this mess.  Did you come to see how I was doing?” she spat at his feet.  “How dare you show your face.”

​“For as little as I deserve it, believe it or not I want you to know that I need your forgiveness.”

​“You dirty miserable scoundrel!  What did you really come here for?  Probably money - I really hope you need it, because I wouldn’t give you any even if you were lying in the gutter.” 

She had guessed correctly.  His own malevolence had finally driven him into drink and bankruptcy; now a vagrant. 

“It may interest you,” said Kitty, “to know that I’m not working the street anymore.  I’ve met a fine gentleman, the likes of which you never were or ever will be.  A man with a heart; you know what that is?  But how could you, you don’t have one.” She paused and looked skyward.  “God forgive me for hating the father who begot me, and the one thing every child needed.”

Gary had just come around the corner and ran to meet Kitty.

“This is my father Gary.  Father, this is the man I told you about.”

Gary was aware of her father’s obscene approach to fatherhood and in deference to Kitty’s presence refrained from spouting his true feelings. 

“I can’t say I am at all pleased to meet you.  I can only thank you and the God above for giving me this wonderful lady, in spite of your inexcusable short comings, to put it bluntly.” 

“I’m sorry, I will never bother your again Kitty,” said Frank, in the lowest of spirit.  He turned and began to walk away slowly.

Kitty could not stop the hidden tears.  In a fit of altruism she had Gary run after him to stuff some cash in a pocket.  Frank turned and waived a thankful goodbye.

“I cannot help it Gary.  We’re still the same blood.  I would never forgive myself to completely abandon him.”

“You’re a softy, sweet heart,” said Gary. “After all, who am I to tell you what is in your heart.  Right or wrong, I am proud of you. I think you’re a winner.” 

They walked arm in arm.  The essence of love created an invisible halo above them, that is, invisible to all but lover’s.

~~~

Kitty, mindful of her good fortune turned to Gary, “Do you think our life-long destiny is meant to be?  I think so.” 

Gary waxed philosophically, “If you mean were we meant to be together, I am not sure if a rigid destiny had a hand in it.  I prefer to believe the adventurer makes his own destiny, and the timid who shy from each coming day find a satisfying goal in withdrawing from life’s perils.

Both believe God has set the way, and yet each believes in a different path to bolster their egos. 

We tend to believe the bold one’s have hard fought heroic happy ending.  On the contrary, many have suffered merciless ridicule, incarceration and death in their own time, due to their contrary beliefs in the accepted scientific and religious protocols of the day.  Their beliefs, however, did outlive a torturous birth.  The timid and the bold will always be with us.  Our happiness depends on our choice of one and respect for the other.”

Gary and Kitty found a bench at a bus stop.  He hoped he hadn’t bored her with his soliloquy. 

“Does that answer your question, my love,” putting his arm around her shoulder.

“It answers much more than that.  It answers so much about yourself.  You could have become a priest.  But I’m really glad you didn’t.  The church’s loss has been my salvation. 

I still believe in destiny,” continued Kitty, “and its simple meaning.

She suddenly remembered; “Your birthday is next week.  What would you like for a gift?”

He pulled her close.  They kissed passionately. Gary sank into the depths of her loving eyes.

“Don’t bother,” he said, “I already have it.”


© Copyright 2014 Milton Pashcow (miltonp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2013495-KANSAS-CITY-KITTY