*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2013918-A-Woman-Scorned-Revised
by Sharon
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Drama · #2013918
Love affairs hurt, in so many ways.
Word count: 3498 (incl. title)

A WOMAN SCORNED


Julie Ames is a walking cliché — a naïve, young woman whose husband doesn’t excite her so she falls in love with her flamboyant boss, but she really doesn’t mean to, it just happened. In fact, she is a narcissistic woman who is coddled by her wealthy, over-protective parents and doting husband, Peter.

Peter Ames was the popular Senior Class President whom everyone called “Golden Boy.” He was the fantasy date of all her classmates and Julie was his equal in beauty and popularity. The yearbook proclaimed them to be the couple “Most Likely to Marry,” so they did, right after Peter graduated from college. But now, three years after their extravagant wedding, their blissful marriage bubble was about to burst.

***

Peter was unexpectedly laid off from his lucrative position with a major technology firm. Their bills were mounting and their savings was scarce. For the first time in her life, Julie had to go to work. And of course, it was all Peter’s fault.

With no experience (unless you consider shopping to be work experience), Julie took a paralegal course and landed a job with a prestigious Seattle law firm, Smith, Klein & Hornsby. She actually liked the job; it gave her an opportunity to wear all the expensive designer clothes she had charged on their credit card and never had a chance to wear.

Julie especially liked the young attorneys, fresh out of law school, who would clerk during the summer hoping for permanent positions in the fall. One in particular had flirted with her on several occasions, even though it was apparent by the ring on her finger that she was married.

Brad Dawson was 6’2” with hair so black it appeared blue in certain light and was further accentuated by the gray Armani suit he wore with an air of dignity. His expertise was in civil litigation, the department to which Julie was assigned. Julie was ecstatic when she learned he had been hired and she was assigned to work with him. She soon favored working late at the office over going home to watch Peter revise his resume and search the Internet for jobs.

In October, Brad Dawson had been assigned to work on a lawsuit for one of the firm’s biggest cases. The statute of limitations to file a lawsuit would run on December 15th and a favorable settlement or jury verdict would be a boost to his career. Becoming a partner was all Brad could think about. Julie admired his drive for success and was more than willing to work overtime just to be near him.

***

After working every night the first two weeks in October, Peter finally spoke up. “He’s working you too much. We don’t get to spend any time together.”

Julie was stressed and her reply was curt. “We need the money, Peter. You’re not working so somebody has to pay the bills.” She didn’t mean to hurt his feelings, but when he looked down and started to walk away, she felt she had to say something.

“Look, I’m sorry, but this is a big case and we’re on a deadline. I promise I won’t work on the weekends. Once it’s over, I won’t have to work late anymore. Okay?” She smiled and raised her eyebrows, “Okay?” Peter smiled and nodded and went upstairs.

Over the next couple months, Julie and Brad worked late almost every night. Dinner was ordered in and Julie usually stayed until nine or ten o’clock. By the time she got home, she was exhausted and immediately went to bed. Their marriage was strained, but Peter held out hope that once he got a job, things would be better between them.

“I know it’s Friday, but the deadline’s Monday and I really need you,” Brad said. Julie’s heart leapt. “Any chance you can work late tonight? I’ll take you out to dinner after we’re finished.” How could she not say yes? When he smiled his eyes twinkled like sparkling emeralds. She didn’t hesitate even though she had promised Peter she would never work on the weekends. “Of course I will, Brad.” For a brief moment, she worried about what Peter would say when she called.

***

“I’m sorry, Peter, but I have to work late tonight. I know I promised not to work on the weekends, but there’s so much to do and the deadline is Monday.” Julie paused to wait for his reply, but there was silence, which she found annoying.  “Please don’t be mad. This is the last time I’ll have to work late, I promise. We’ll do something together tomorrow.”

“Yeah, sure. I guess you have to work if your boss asks you. How late will it be tonight?” Peter’s tone was blatantly sarcastic, but she ignored it. “I’m not sure what time I’ll be home so don’t wait up.” She said goodbye and hung up the phone.

***

It was after nine o’clock when Brad finished dictating his final revisions and Julie finished the typing. “It’s silly for us to take two cars. We’ll go in my car and I’ll bring you back to your car later,” he said.

He took her to a small Italian restaurant downtown. There were white linen tablecloths and glowing candles on the tables and only one couple was still eating. Brad asked for a table toward the back of the restaurant and ordered a bottle of Chianti.

“You’ve been such a big help to me, Julie. I really appreciate it, but doesn’t your husband mind all these late nights?”

“He does, but he still hasn’t found a job and we need the money so he’s happy I’m working overtime. Besides, I don’t think he really cares as long as I bring home the money.” Brad smiled and placed his hand on hers. “I’m sorry, but if I had a wife like you, I’d be pissed.” Julie was used to Brad’s flirtatiousness, but when he touched her hand, she didn’t pull away; she wanted to be with him.

Time flew by as they talked about the case and how important it was for his career. She didn’t mind that he was always talking about himself and very little about her, even though he praised her work a couple of times during the conversation.

It was midnight before they realized they were the only people left in the restaurant and the cleaning crew had started vacuuming. “We better leave before they kick us out,” Brad said as he motioned for the check.

When they got in his silver Porsche, Brad turned to Julie and she could see a longing in his eyes that she hadn’t seen for a long time in Peter’s. For an instant, she thought about turning away, but it was too late. He pulled her to him and his lips were soft and warm as he gently kissed her. She tensed and he quickly apologized. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have done that.”

It only took a moment for Julie to think about what she was doing and how much it would hurt Peter if he found out. She put her hand behind his head and pulled him toward her and kissed him. “You know the firm frowns on this. It could mean our jobs,” he said. She smiled and said, “It will be our secret.”

On the drive to his apartment, Julie’s heart pounded and butterflies filled her stomach. Tonight was something she had wanted to happen for a long time. Brad was the kind of man she wanted, the kind of man she deserved.

When she walked into his apartment, she knew he could give her the things she wanted. It was decorated tastefully in rich, black leather and the tables were black marble and glass. Above the sofa hung an original Salvador Dali painting and the view from his eighth floor picture window displayed the glimmering lights of downtown Seattle.

She watched as he picked up a remote, pressed a button, and soft music played. He pressed another button and the living room lights dimmed. He poured her a glass of Chianti and stood next to her. “Nice view,” he whispered.

“It’s beautiful,” she replied and took a sip of the wine hoping it would cool down the heat rising in her body.

“I meant you,” he said. Her heart was racing and her legs felt like putty. Just as her knees were starting to buckle, he slid his arm around her waist and pulled her close. He took the glass from her hand and placed it on the table, and then he led her to the bedroom.

He kissed her mouth and moved her long, brown hair so he could kiss her neck while he slowly unbuttoned the pearl buttons of her silk blouse. He slowly unzipped her skirt, letting it slide down her trembling legs and then picked her up and gently placed her on the bed while he disrobed before her. His body was so tan and muscular.

Every muscle in her body ached for him as he kissed her neck and worked his way down her body and she had to say it. “I love you, Brad.” He paused to look at her and then he moved on top and penetrated her, pounding her until he climaxed, leaving her unfulfilled and confused. Brad rolled off her and said, “I’ve got a busy day tomorrow. I should drive you back to your car.”

His words cut her to the quick. The thought that he wanted her to leave so soon made her stomach turn, but then she rationalized that maybe he did have a lot of work to do before Monday. Maybe he was concerned about her getting home so late, or maybe he worried that Peter would confront her, anything but that he didn’t want her. She went to the bathroom and got dressed while Brad dressed in the bedroom.

He was quiet as he drove her back to her car. “I’ll see you Monday,” he said as he put the car in PARK. He reached across her to open the door and as she got out he said, “Remember, this is our little secret.” He waited until she started her car and then he drove off. Shocked and confused, Julie sat in her car and cried.

It was nearly two a.m. when she arrived home. The house was dark with the exception of the hall light that Peter always left on for her. She had decided on the way home that if Peter questioned her, she would tell him the truth. She didn’t want to hurt Peter, but she couldn’t live with the lies any longer. But thankfully, Peter was asleep. She slid into bed next to him, trying hard not to wake him. She was exhausted, but her mind was racing. Over and over she replayed the evening in her head until she finally fell asleep.

***

On Saturday morning, Julie awoke to the smell of coffee brewing and a throbbing pain in her head from the wine. She heard movement in the kitchen and went downstairs to find Peter standing at the stove cooking bacon and eggs. The aroma of the bacon made her stomach turn.

”Good morning,” he said without turning away from the stove. “You must have worked really late last night.”

She didn’t answer, but Peter knew the time because he was awake when she got into bed. He had driven to the office and seen Julie’s car parked in front, but the office was dark. He had decided not to question her. Maybe they just went out to eat and time got away from them. If she was having an affair, confronting her would give her no choice but to leave. If she wasn't having an affair, mentioning it might be just as bad. For now, he would just wait.

”Good news. I have a job interview on Monday,” he said. Julie poured a cup of coffee and sat down. He finished cooking the eggs and bacon and brought it to the table. “Vice President of Operations. I think I have a good chance of getting it and the salary is more than what I was making at my last job.” Peter was excited, but Julie had mixed emotions.

“That’s great, Peter. I hope you get it.” The hot coffee was easing the pains in her head, but not in her heart. She had to tell him, but as she started to speak, he spoke first.

“I know things haven’t been so great between us these past few months, but if I get this job, you can quit work and we can start having fun together like we used to. Remember what a great time we had at Tahoe? I want us to do more things like that. You’ve been working too hard and I know you’ve been doing it for us.”

Julie wanted to release the guilt she felt but she couldn’t. She knew it would make her feel better, but it would hurt Peter and probably end their marriage. Peter was so excited and seeing his blue eyes light up when he smiled made her remember why she had fallen in love with him. Maybe there was still a chance to make the marriage work. Maybe Brad was just someone who made her feel good; maybe it wasn’t love. She didn’t know how she felt anymore, and her head ached too much to think about it.

”I’m sorry, Peter. I’m not feeling very good. I think I’ll just take my coffee upstairs and rest.” Peter agreed that she look tired so she went back to bed. She had a lot to think about, but even after staying in bed the whole weekend, she still wasn’t sure what she wanted.

When the alarm went off Monday morning, Julie thought about calling in sick. She didn’t know how to act after Friday night. She hadn’t heard from Brad all weekend, but then again, she didn’t expect him to call her at home, but he could have called her on her cell. Peter had left early for his interview but would be home soon and she could stay home and spend the day with him if she wanted. But what about tomorrow and the day after? She had to go to work; today was the deadline to file the Complaint.

***

When she arrived at work, Brad was in his office with the door closed. Julie put her purse in her desk drawer and pulled out a tissue. Tears filled her eyes and slid down her cheeks and she hoped Brad would stay in his office until she had a chance to compose herself.

Her eyes turned to the picture on the desk of her and Peter on vacation in Lake Tahoe. She wondered if Peter noticed the change in her, if he wondered where she was when she came home late, whether she was faking a headache when he reached for her in bed at night.

Peter was intelligent and handsome, but Brad was aggressive and she admired his drive to succeed, something she didn’t see in Peter. But maybe Peter would change once he started working again. Maybe she should give their marriage a second chance.

Just then, Brad buzzed her and asked her to come into his office. Julie threw the tissue in the trashcan and opened his door. He handed her the file they’d been working on and said, “It’s done and ready to be filed.”

She took the file and looked at him but didn’t speak. After a moment of awkward silence, he said, “About Friday night. I had a great time. I like you; you’re a great secretary, but I don’t want you to get the wrong idea. I think we should just keep our relationship professional. I wouldn’t want the partners to find out.”

Julie felt like he had slapped her in the face and she could feel her heart pounding and the tears starting to back up and cramp in her chest. The last thing she wanted was for Brad to see her cry.

She quickly composed herself and said, “Our little secret, remember?” She turned and walked out of his office. She wanted to slam the door, but decided not to draw attention. She placed the file on her desk and rushed to the bathroom. She locked herself in one of the stalls and cried.

I’m such an idiot! How could I be so stupid! He’s just been using me! She went to the sink and splashed water in her face, freshened her makeup, and returned to her desk. Brad stayed in his office most of the day, for which Julie was thankful.

At three o’clock, Brad walked out of his office and said, “Don’t forget, the Complaint has to be filed today. You can sign my name, but make sure you file it before five, without fail. I’m screwed if we miss the deadline. You can leave a copy on my desk.”

He paused at the door and she thought for a moment that he might ask her to dinner or apologize for what he had said earlier, but she was wrong. He said, “I have a dinner date so I’ll see you tomorrow,” and just left.

A dinner date! A cold chill ran through her body and she started to shake, her chest felt like someone was sitting on it, but she couldn’t cry, not in front of the other secretaries.

“Can you believe that?” Katie, the secretary in the cubicle next to hers, asked. “He’s only been here three months and he’s already having an affair with one of the new attorneys they hired last week. I think her name is Karen or Carol. That’s probably who he’s taking out to dinner tonight.”

“Excuse me,” Julie said raising her eyebrows, not sure she heard right.

“You haven’t heard? I’m surprised. I thought everyone knew. If the partners find out, they’ll both be canned for sure,” Katie said.

***

The yogurt Julie ate for lunch was curdling in her stomach and she wanted to vomit. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing, but the conversation ended abruptly when her phone rang. She answered, “Smith, Klein and Hornsby. How may I direct your call?”

“Hi honey, it’s me. Is everything okay? You sound funny.” Peter always knew when something was bothering her.

“I’m fine. It’s just been really hectic. Today is the deadline to file the Complaint that I’ve been working so much on, and my boss has been yelling at me.” She lied about the yelling but hoped it would explain why she sounded funny.

“He doesn’t realize what a great secretary you are,” he answered, but she wasn’t in the mood to be patronized.

“I’m okay,” she said. “I’m filing the Complaint today so I won’t have to work late anymore, at least not for a while.”

“You won’t have to work anymore, period. I got the job!” He was excited and Julie wanted to tell him how happy she was for him, but her heart was breaking. “I have to go,” she said and hung up the phone. She looked at the picture on her desk. Oh, Peter, I’ve been so blind and stupid!

At that moment, she realized how lucky she was to have someone love her so much, and she vowed never to release her guilt by confessing what she had done. She would be more supportive and would show him how much he was appreciated and loved. After all, he didn’t know she had cheated and she would never tell him. Suddenly, she felt rejuvenated and surprised at how little she cared that Brad was going out with someone else.

She got back to work and finished at four o’clock. As she was preparing to leave for the courthouse to file the Complaint, Peter called again. “Honey, the new Vice President of Operations would like to take his beautiful wife to dinner. I hope you don’t have to work late tonight.”

“Oh, Peter, that’s great. I’m so happy for you, for both of us. I’ll be home at six. I love you,” she said and hung up the phone. It was at that moment that she knew exactly what she wanted to do.

Julie packed up all of her personal belongings and put them in a box, much to the surprise of Katie, who was watching her every move. She looked at the Complaint that was sitting on her desk ready to be filed. She signed Brad’s name on the original, took a photocopy and then tore the original into little pieces and put them in her trashcan.

She attached the photocopy of the Complaint to the file and put it on Brad’s desk together with her key to the office and a yellow Post-it note on which she scribbled: “Sorry you missed your deadline!” And then she left, for good.

Revised Dec 2014
© Copyright 2014 Sharon (sharlea2348 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2013918-A-Woman-Scorned-Revised