*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2014837-TRials-1995-New-Orleans-LA
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Article · Experience · #2014837
TRavels with a 1969 TRiumph TR6

         "TR" TOURS WITH JEFF RUST

         BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI 6-PACK TRIALS 1995

In retrospect:

SATURDAY OCTOBER 1, 1994 -

- Place:      Awards Banquet Trials'94 -

- Topic:      Location of Trials'95 has just been announced

- Ken Crowley: "What PinHead would drive to Pass Christian Mississippi for a car show?"



SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 23, 1995 -

Trials '95 and the New Orleans adventure is delayed only by Ken (see above) as he frantically finagles with co-workers to advance his 3:00pm scheduled work time release. ..........At 12:00 noon, we hit the road. Good work Ken!


         "LASIE LES BON TRIUMPHS ROULER"

         Cajun for:

         "Let the Good Triumphs Roll"


Oh, a word about "Good" Triumphs.  This trip seems plagued from the start by "goofy" stuff which constantly threatens my '69 TR6 from arriving in Louisiana at all.  A few lessons are learned and a bank account is drained as a routine valve job explodes into a complete engine rebuild.  All is fueled by statements like "Well as long as I'm this far I might as well......".  Federal Express Overnight has added my name to this year's Christmas card list.  A "J-type overdrive" will fit in an "A-type" car, but not without welding and cutting and more time than I have to do it and ALWAYS, ALWAYS replace your clutch fork pin when you have your car in a million pieces!!!!  This last lesson of course, results in Ken and I breaking the all time world record for transmission removal....... one hour ten minutes flat.  Speaking of flat, I also confirmed that rumor you've no doubt heard, "storing your car on it's tyres will produce flat spots."  It will, It did and I have the receipt for the new tyres and countless wheel balancing attempts to prove it. Brake master cylinder rebuilds will not last forever and no one in Rockford, Illinois carries them in stock.  If you put "non-Lucas" wiring into your Triumph, you'd better just get used to listening to music out of one speaker.  Just because your speedometer did work and because you had it rebuilt before does not mean it will work when you pullout for a two thousand mile trip.  Likewise with a tachometer. Like I said, "Goofy Stuff".


At 12:30pm and forty miles my speedo dies.  At 1:10pm it revives.  At 4:30 we wheel into downtown St.Louis, Missouri for dinner at the world famous Spaghetti House and a quick trip to the "St. Louis Gateway Arch".  Back on the road again and 11:30pm we're scoping Memphis, Tennessee for a motel that's not booked. The opportunity for the "Last Room" and the flat redline tyre on Ken's car dictates where we will stay tonight. 


Now it only makes "scents" that the last room to be booked would be the one that has a terrible stench to it.  Ken spends most of the next hour deciding on whether or not to sleep in the car, torn between his bed in a hotel room with a stench and the fear of the cars being vandalized as they sit.  A less than desirable part of town as determined by the large sign behind the front desk disenvolving the hotel of any damage done to cars parked in the hotel's lot.  I, on the other hand, crash immediately more concerned about a good nights sleep than with anything else.


SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 24, 1995 -


Ken arises early on Sunday and begins his four hour search for tyre repair.  I sleep-in then begin reassembling all my "stuff" into the "TR" in preparation for the second day of our journey.  At noon, I begin assembling all of Ken's stuff also into my car so as not to buy another night in this fine establishment.  Ken finally returns with a new tube and we're off to see Graceland.


This place is a gas! I guess I expected most everything. The custom made shuttle buses, constant repetition of old Elvis "tunes", Museum of the "Kings" cars, memorial Health Food Salad joint.... what's this? HEALTH Food? The king didn't do health food. Ah, there's the burger joint.  "Gimme an Elvis memorial cheeseburger, mama, I'm gonna see the King". Yes sir, eat like a king..... well anyway. 


As I said, I expected most everything except for the close proximity of the kings planting to the house. Graceland is on 3 or 4 acres so I expected a nice plot in the horse pasture, not literally "feet" from the pool!  Real close to the house and there's a whole bunch of people there with him.  His father, mother, aunt and a plague for his twin brother.  It was a bit unnerving.


Meanwhile, Ken "what do you want to stop there for?" Crowley has fallen in love with Elvis's Reckonbocker or Bockenrecker or some kind of guitar. Not because it belonged to Elvis mind you, but because it's an original! Although several days later, Ken did admit Graceland was worth the stop.


The house itself is just like Elvis left it. Unfortunately, he left it in the seventies. I guess that was a decorating style in the history of things but I was only reminded of every house I've ever completely gutted during renovation.  I can now understand my fathers confusion over my fascination for "Things of old".  It's just junk from the seventies, or fifties in his case.  Congratulations Jeff....your now officially old.


Moral for this stop: "You can't go past Memphis without stopping in to see Elvis."


Back on the road again and as the temperature outside goes up, so does my engine temp.  Timing.  Timing is everything, right?  Timing light. Timing light is the one tool I didn't bring, right?  Autozone. Autozone is where you can buy the timing light you didn't bring. It's also where you race back into at 4:59 pm on a Sunday to buy a distributor bolt to replace the one you just snapped!


Ah, Jackson, Mississippi and another motel only his time without the smell.


MONDAY SEPTEMBER 25, 1995 -


At last, the gulf coast state of Louisiana and 24 miles of the "Longest Bridge in the world".


New Orleans, the infamous French Quarter and the La Richleiu hotel our stay for the next three days.  Park the cars in the guarded lot, cover'em up and forget about it.  With Bourbon Street only a short walk away, life is looking very good.  Let the vacation begin!


We dine early at the "Brewhouse" restaurant and micro brewery (a Steve Wilson a.k.a 6-Pack National Convention Organizer suggestion, thanks Steve!).  I feast on alligator pie while Ken enjoys a cheeseburger before we head off for the night life of Bourbon street.


Sure it's Monday, but this place hopping!  I'm not really paying attention to how much fun Ken is having until I notice him singing Y.M.C.A. with the crowd at the Bourbon street Kareoke bar.  He is doing the arms thing, making a big "Y" then an "M" and then... well you get the picture.  I think to myself, "Suurrrre, this will attract the women.".  I'll admit, he is having more fun than I am.  Thank god!


TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 26, 1995 -


I'm up at the break of dawn and off to see the sights at Jackson Square. I check out the trolley, river boats, cafes and lots of shops.  At noon I meet what's left of Ken at the Cafe Du Monde for an order or two of their world famous Beignets and coffee.


Back at the ranch Richleiu, Ken makes arrangements with what I assume is the powers at hand to wash our cars.  As it turns out, the well armed rent-a-cop from the guard house is not in charge and the manager explains this very clearly as Ken continues to wash and dry his car. All the while I'm thinking, "Every hotel in the quarter is full" please don't throw us out.

Dinner that night is late at the "Cajun Cafe" on Bourbon Street. I try my hand at crayfish and jambalaya while Ken enjoys a cheeseburger.  We both have a slow start and actually consider leaving early for Biloxi.


WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 27, 1995 -


Somehow I talk Ken into a half hour trolley ride through downtown past some of the most beautiful architecture in the south.  The mansions, the apartment blocks, the churches, the women!  It seems the trolley runs through some college campus.  Our destination is breakfast at the Camelia Grill (another Steve Wilson suggestion, thanks again Steve!).


An all black staff dressed in all white where even the straws are served to you off the cuff. Unique blend of "diner equipment" with all counter seating, in a southern mansion style building, "clean whites" and chef hats. The waffles are out of this world, the ride is great.


On the way back through town we decide to indulge, once more, in Cafe Du Monde's world famous Beignets before returning to port Richlieu.


While Ken rests for the evenings events, which now include a real live ghost tour of New Orleans, I head out in search of the world famous "Muffletta".  The "Sandwich" of all sandwiches. A loaf of french bread, all kinds of deli meats, pickled olives black and green, oils and vinegar and lettuce, I think, more ingredients than I can remember.  It's huge and even my 1/2 Muffletta is hard to finish. It seems the Muffletta was invented in New Orleans around turn of the century by same family that still owns and operates the one and only "Central Grocery", a very interesting place on its own.


         

Shortly          after my eating binge, I start a quick decline prompted by a kickass          first of the season cold. Great! A cold on vacation. Well, with the          "Ghost Tour" not until 8:00pm there's time for medication.          At a nearby drug store I contemplate remedies. "Nyquil?"          "I'll be asleep by 8:00!". "Nyquil daytime!"          "Ah ha!" This should work until the beer kicks in.          

         


         

8:00          pm and a Real Live "Hauntings Today" Ghost Tour of New          Orleans' French Quarter lead by none other than a very nice looking          blonde!  Life is great!  A skeptic herself a few years ago, she now          leads travelers through the French Quarter introducing them to the          more notable "spooks".  She very calmly explains the          circumstances which brought about each ghost including a brief          history of the person before and since. All of this is delivered          from a once skeptical viewpoint which makes it much easier for me to          swallow. In an outdoor garden along the tour, several people in the          group experience a "presence".  It is a cold air mass that          moves around the garden.  Did I mention it's eighty degrees out          here?  I do believe in spooks, I do believe in spooks, I do, I do, I          do believe in spooks!  And I do believe you should take this tour,          given the opportunity.          

         


         

I          can sure use a drink now and Ken and I head once more for Bourbon          Street.          

         


         

Jim          Muarties Jazz Cafe.  Voted "Best Band on Bourbon" after          extensive research through varying mental and physical conditions by          Ken and I.  Uncanny Melissa Etherich performance as well as many          others very well done.           

         


         

After          searching for years trying to replace my union jack t-shirt, I          decide price is no object and have one hand painted on          Bourbon Street in New Orleans.  Ken and I once again get separated          and in his wanderings back to the hotel he finds and films a TR6          parked on Royal street.  Picture if you will, two o'clock in the          morning and some guy stumbling around your TR6 with a video camera.          Huh.

         


         

THURSDAY          SEPTEMBER 28, 1995 -          

         


         

New          Orleans is over and Biloxi, Mississippi and Trials 95 is ahead, but          first a stop along the way.

         


         

Doctor          Wagner's Swamp Tour.  Alligators in the wild, blue hereon, turtles,          and the infamous bayou!  After feasting on an "alligator dog"          with mustard and relish, it's out from the dock, past the floating          weekend cottages (complete with TV antennas) and swamp bound.          Water, water everywhere and the guide, doing a very convincing Bill          Clinton impersonation, stops often to show us native vegetation and          wild life.  This part of the bayou, he explains, is home to many          hollywood movies including the most recent "Interview with a          Vampire".  An excellent view of the untamed Bayou and the only          way to see it.  In person, by boat and up close.  So if you're ever          near Honey Island, Louisiana........ tell him Jeff sent you.

         


         

Route          90 along the beautiful gulf coast and at last that wonderful smell          of salt air.  I kind of miss that living in the Midwest.           

         


         

Past          Pass Christian then Biloxi, Mississippi and the Holiday Inn          Convention Center where Steve desperately needs our help to open and          officially christian the hospitality suite for Trials '95.  Glad we          could be of service Steve.

         


         

FRIDAY          SEPTEMBER 29, 1995 -

         


         

An          8:30am Tech session provides some excellent ideas on how to keep          rust away. My late arrival provides fuel for a few "Rust"          jokes leading to the fact that it is very hard to keep rust away.          

         


         

Ken          is hard at work with Steve designing and setting up the Funkana          course for a 10:00am take off.  And a fine course it is, complete          with "S" turns, a two-spindled monster for testing a          drivers wire wheel ability, fan belt pickup for testing a passengers          pickup ability, reverse haybale crash test, more "S"          turns, passenger wheels between the tennis balls, fan belt toss and          haybale crash end. Nice and open. A "High Speed Funkana",          very interesting.           

         

Now          in any moving event that is one thousand miles from home, you are          somewhat apprehensive while driving your only means of          transportation.  But if say Bill Sysman, for instance, offers his          beautifully restored and wonderfully yet mildly modified TR250 for a          "test" run......... life is getting better.  And "better"          we do.  In fact, "Best" is what we do. Although Bill looks          like the "Mad Potter of Biloxi" as we slide through the          first "S" turn with all the racing finesse of Group 44 on          Limerock, he manages to bolt from the car and grab that fan belt          like a pro.  Those wide tyres mounted on "English" splined          minilites cut loose in reverse as Bill fights to get in.  Tap the          bale, first gear and we're smokin'!  Life is greeaaat!!!.  I've          forgotten how much of a difference a good set of swaybars makes.          And this low end torque stuff lost by adding Webers.........WOW!          The only thing touching those tennis balls is fast moving air!  Into          the haybale and we're done!  Grrrreeeeatttt run!!!  Beautiful car!          Thanks Bill!           

         


         

At          this point, I have completely saturated my clothing with sweat.          Sure it's hot out, but adrenaline has taken complete control.  After          I calm down a bit, I help the film crew (or I guess I became the          film crew) and videoed and still cameraed up close for several          participants. Wow!

         


         

2:00pm          - Covered parking on the dock for Biloxi schooner Glenn L. Swetman.          As you board, there is a wonderful spread on the cabin roof.          Cheese, breads, vegetables, fruit, dip and in front of the          cabin.....coolers and coolers of refreshments.  With full knowledge          of the fact that I have never been on the ocean when I didn't get          sick as a dog, I still booked this voyage.  Afterall, a fifty foot,          three mast schooner ride in the Gulf of Mexico!  Who could pass up a          once in a lifetime opportunity like this?

         

         

         

Strategy;          keep busy, forget that your miles from shore and that the ship is          creening up and down these waves and..... I've got it.... eat lots          of food and drink beer continuously.  That way I can blame it on the          food and beer!  Well, I didn't get sick at all and I learned an          awful lot about Florida Triumphs. Before now, I'd only heard of the          perfect quiet of a sail boat, now I can tell others. Thank you          Steve!

         


         

Okay,          as if that wasn't enough for a day, we're off to the beach for an          old fashioned Gulf Coast bonfire.  Big, big bonfire and for dinner,          homemade Jambalaya then back to the motel.          

         


         

Outside          our room and some 60 feet away is the "Southern Barbecue          Cookoff" providing live entertainment on the lawn of the Biloxi          Convention Center. Until midnight we listen free to the "front          row" sounds of the "Outlaws" as the Gulf of Mexico          splashes ashore just across the street. Life is good.          

         


         

SATURDAY          SEPTEMBER 30, 1995 -

         


         

Ah,          I love the smell of fresh car wax in the morning!  After a lot of          work, the cars all look the best they can and the beauty pageant          begins.          

         


         

6-Pack          Trials'95 - the "United State's best representation of the          worlds best sportscar".  For concourse we have some of the          finest TR6's and TR250's in the country.  Even a very rare          silver/grey interiored green TR6 from Oklahoma.  The modified          division sports a carburetion selection of two SU's, three          Strombergs or triple Webers.  Peoples choice offers everything from          drivers to concourse quality and includes Ken's Concourse quality          driver.  Some cars I recognize from the VTR convention in Rockford,          some from other Trials and some that have never been to a show.  The          1969 TR6 is well represented by Mark Story's beautifully done "fresh          from restoration" and my own.          

         


         

An          English taxi stops by for a view as do a few other transplants of          Britain.           

         


         

After          the show it's time for a traditional Trials moving event and          everyone else heads out for parts unknown.  As it turnsout, parts          were unknown to literally everyone and most return to the hotel          after becoming hopelessly lost.  It's okay Steve, really.

         


         

The          awards banquet continues the good times into the night at an          excellent 100 year old restaurant down the road.  The evening begins          with a unique standup comedian/waiter/restaurant owner that sets the          mood for dinner.           

         


         

Dinner          is an experience of it's own.  Having suffered through traditional          banquet chicken clumps of parts are parts, the "menu" of          "choices"          is unbelievable.  I can't remember how many fresh          fish creations are offered as well as beef and some exotic local          selections.  Dinner is outstanding.

         


         

After          dinner, Steve presents the awards of Trials'95 with a combination of          southern charm and that same magnetic personality that got us all          down here in the first place.  Unfortunately, the "Longest          Distance Driven Award" is not ours.  But it's not Mr. Jim          "longest distance by twenty miles Trials '94" Holeweka's          either.  In fact, he gets the "Shortest Distance Driven Award"          for not even leaving his driveway in Lodi, New Jersey!  AH, HA!  So          I guess this makes us the winners, eh Jim?  Actually, the well          deserved longest distance award goes to "Trials Staples"          Joe and Linda Fazio for completing a world wind tour to Texas and          back.          

         


         

But          then it is Steve's turn for recognition.          

         


         

Because          Steve has been so instrumental in the planning of the "Great          American chase from Chicago to New Orleans", (mainly by hosting          a nearby Triumph event but also by providing a "greatest hits          menu" of downtown New Orleans) we decide we need to bring him a          gift.  Something that captures the essence of what this trip means          to both Ken and I and will be a remembrance of all the time and          energy devoted to producing Six-Pack Trials'95.           

         


         

So          in July, when the auctioneer of VTR95 in Rockford holds up a framed          poster with the words "SIX PACK" printed across the          bottom, I knew we had found the appropriate gift and cost was no          object.  The poster happened to be of three women experiencing an          unfortunate mishap with a garden hose on what seemed a cold day.  I          immediately thought, garden hose, washing Triumphs, cold Chicago          September and ...... scantly dressed healthy women. It was like a          road poster for the trip.  I wrestled for months and finally decided          this unique poster needed to be on Steve's wall and not mine.  All          that remained was how to get a framed glass poster one thousand          miles in a TR6.  Answer: Carefully.

         


         

As          I present Steve with his well deserved "award", I see a          little glassiness in his eye as he thanks us then promptly hides the          poster behind a chair.

         


         

SUNDAY          OCTOBER 1, 1995 - (really early)

         


         

Not          being ones to stop a good time too soon, especially when provided a          designated driver, Ken and I join Steve, Mary and others for the          "impromptu Dock of the Bay Road Trip" after the banquet.          As it turnsout the "Dock of the Bay" bar is owned by the          drummer of Blood, Sweat and Tears and as promised, he performed a          song or two while we were there.           

         


         

That's          really the last time we saw Steve or Mary and pretty much the last          thing I remember before waking up Monday morning for work.  But I do          vaguely remember a few hours sleep and a long, long ride in a really          loud car.

         


         


© Copyright 2014 itrmph2 (itrmph2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2014837-TRials-1995-New-Orleans-LA