*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2015689-Chapter-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Family · #2015689
The Callaways' day off.
Chapter 3

A cot was set up in Gabe’s room. Being the oldest, he had the privilege of having his own room. It was a little cramped, but being for one night, the two young men made due. Mike was tired from a long day of travel and the heavy burden of grief. He felt himself dozing off when he heard his name being whispered.

“Mike!” Gabe whispered, “Are you asleep?”

Mike glanced in the direction of the voice. It was too dark to actually see the other young man.

“I’m awake.”

“Where are you headed?” the boy asked.

Mike was silent for a while, and finally replied with an “I don’t know.”

“Don’t you have a family somewhere?” Gabe inquired.

Mike again was silent as he tried to find a way to answer without having to reveal too much of himself. Again his answer was simple.

“No!”

It was quiet for a few minutes, and Mike hoped that the boy had gotten the hint and wouldn’t pry further.

“I’d like to be on my own!” Gabe said. “I’d travel the world if I was. But…this way…I’m the oldest. Pa needs me here. The other boys are too young to help out yet.”

Mike felt that slight ache return to his chest. Here he was envious of the Callaway family, and here the oldest of the Callaway children was envious of him. He’d gladly switch places with Gabe if he could, and wanted to tell him so. However, he didn’t want to keep up this conversation, so he just said nothing.

He wasn’t sure who must have fallen asleep first, but the next morning he was the last to wake. It was the smell of food which roused him. He could smell bacon and eggs frying, and the sound of voices were also drifting up the stairs. He sat up quickly, ashamed of himself for sleeping later than everyone else when he had offered to repay for his room today.

He hurried over to the wash basin in the corner of the room and washed quickly, then threw his clothing on. He must have made quite a clamoring noise as he hurried down the stairs, for when he arrived in the dining room, all eyes were already turned his way as though they were expecting him.

“Must be hungry this morning!” Tom commented with a teasing smile on his face, and the rest of the family chuckled.

With a self-conscious smile, Mike made his way over to the place at the table that was already set and waiting for him.

“I didn’t mean to sleep so long.” He said apologetically.

Grace smiled at him as she poured his coffee.

“Gabe told us he kept you up most of the night with his talk.”

Mike thanked her for the coffee, and took in all the food that was before him. Eggs, bacon, fried potatoes, pancakes, biscuits, and a choice of jelly or honey. There was a steaming pot of hot coffee in the middle of the table, and a pitcher of milk. Mike had never seen such abundance. He remembered his mother had tried to set such a table, but it was a treat to have all of this at once. What had Tom said yesterday? God had blessed them?

Well, Mike thought bitterly, I supposed maybe even God must have been upset with mom that he couldn’t see fit to send a blessing her way.

“What are you all dressed up for today, Sally Ann?” Mike heard Gabe saying, and he looked over at the blushing young woman sitting across the table from him.

That wasn’t where she was sitting yesterday, Mike thought to himself.

“Yeah, it aint Sunday!” the younger boy sitting next to her teased.

“Even Sunday mornings she doesn’t dress up like this for breakfast!” Gabe continued.

Sally Ann’s cheeks blushed so that they matched the small, red flowers printed on her dress.

“You boys quit teasing your sister!” Grace scolded, “A girl likes to dress up every now and then.”

“I never seen her dress up for no reason at all.” The younger boy said.

“Well who is she going to dress up for around here? You?!” the tomboy said as an attempt to defend her sister, but in reality only added to the girl’s embarrassment and now to Mike’s as well.

“That’s enough all of you! You heard your mother.” Tom said, and it was the first time Mike had heard him speak so firmly. “The next person to tease Sally Ann will finish their meal standing up.”

The conversation turned towards the day’s chores. As Mike listened to the chore list being doled out to each family member, he realized with this many children there really was very little left for him to do. When Tom began telling Grace his plans for the day, Mike had an idea.

“Mr. Callaway, I still want to repay you all for the room and the meals.” He said, “How about you take the day off, and I’ll do your work for you.”

“I told you there’s no reason for you to repay anything.” Tom said, “We wouldn’t have…”

“Yes, I know!” Mike interrupted, “But I’d feel better if I did.”

Tom sat thoughtfully for a moment, then ran his fingers through his thinning hair.

“A day off.” He said with a grin forming on his face. “I don’t think I’ve had a day off in twenty years - not counting the Lord’s Day, of course. What do you say, Grace? We’ll get dressed up, and go into town. Maybe go to one of those moving pictures?”

“They’re called ‘movies,’ Pa!” Sally Ann corrected.

“I don’t know, Tom.” Grace said, looking around the table at the children.

“Oh, please, Mom!” Sally Ann encouraged, “You need a day off as much as Pa. I can look after the kids.”

“Kids!” muttered the tomboy with a roll of her eyes.

Both Tom and Grace had reason to believe Sally Ann had other reasons for them to go. Grace worried about leaving the family alone with a stranger. Tom seemed to read her thoughts.

“Sure!” he said, “And Gabe will be here if Mike has any questions.”

Grace looked at her eldest son and realized that, yes, at eighteen, he was man enough to take care of the family for a day. She finally agreed, and the whole family excitedly helped their parents plan their special trip into town.
© Copyright 2014 my_pen_name (acelt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2015689-Chapter-3