*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2015784-A-Message-from-Mom
Rated: E · Other · Spiritual · #2015784
A tribute to my mom and her legacy.
Message from Mom

When I went back East to see my mother I was given a message to share. It is important to know that all concerned knew it would be the last time I would see her. I have spent a lot of time in hospitals dealing with grief. I served as a chaplain for three years, before I went back into church ministry. I prepared for worst I did not know what to expect.

God has always taught me to expect the unexpected. I came back and thought of all the times mom was there for me. I wept a lot on the way. I had seen her deteriorate rapidly. Near the end she could not talk, could barely eat and had trouble breathing. One doctor diagnosed her with ALS. She refused to believe this she gave herself totally over to God expecting a miracle.

I believe I bore witness to that miracle in the week I stayed with her. She had every reason to feel sorry for herself. You are not going to believe this, but all mom knew to do was laugh. She had a board called the boogie board that she communicated with. She made me laugh until I cried. Who would have thought this could be. Mom shared some very intimate things in the week that we were together. It was a week of being reminded of God's presence in the best and worst of times.
Three signs she share regularly are signs others can offer in her memory.
1. Two thumbs up. It was a way of letting others know that she was okay and she was too. Another words, God loved them and her very much.
2. A hand lifted to heaven with a big grin on her face. She would not let the devil steal her joy. She could not eat her favorite food lobster and no longer cooked the good meals she was famous for. Instead she shared manna from heaven from the Word of God to any who would listen. She shared with me that was her legacy.
3. A hug. It is such a simple thing. To be hugged by mom was like being hugged by God. At one point she despaired at not knowing God's timing as far as when she might be with her mom, brother and others she loved dearly. We shared together out of John 16 about the event of death being like child birth and what joy when that child is born, the pain forgotten.

Mom was ready to go, even if others wanted her to stay. She went into the hospital on Saturday, the 5th her birthday. All the while she was able to get up to go to the toilet and was or sound mind. She died about 2pm on Sunday. Family was ever with her. Melisa was on the way to church with a friend who loved to sing. When they got their mom was having convulsions. They talked of giving mom Atavan. "No they said", let sing some hymns and see what that might do. My sister Lori and Missie got up in bed and hugged mom as they sang. They sang one of her favorite hymns
"It is Well with my Soul", even though they could not remember the words. They were stuck about what the next song they would sing. They settled on the song: Silent night. As they got to the last part of the song, "Rest in heavenly Peace", mom breathed her last breath. I think of the sixth of October as her spiritual birthday. I think this is something mom wanted me to share with you and others. I hope it blesses you as it blessed me. The essence: Love person with the love of God who might know love otherwise.

© Copyright 2014 drifter (peterson4279 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2015784-A-Message-from-Mom