*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2016551-Entry-A-Bolt-from-the-Blue
Rated: E · Other · Horror/Scary · #2016551
word count= 732 words
         Two crows pecked at the base of the orange globe's hard stem while seven mice ran in and out of the dark openings that had been carved into the curved surface.



The dark sky above suddenly became bright blue, a sizzling sound, like bacon in a hot skillet, filled the air. A bolt of lightening raced toward the garden, causing the pesky birds and mice to flee.



The metal stand that held the Jack- O – Lantern heated and popped off its paint as it was struck by the powerful electricity.



Little Eyes peered out of the nearby window of the house, two small voices gasped loudly as the lightening struck.  As the bright glow subsided it had become apparent that the pumpkin they had carved so carefully was no where to be seen.



“Where  did our Jack – O – Lantern go?”



The children said in unison as they looked out at the garden, where their father had placed it. The grandfather clock in the home's entry way was booming, the chimes sounding to announce the coming of midnight.



“We will go look for it in the morning, now it is far past your bedtime, off to bed with you now”



Their father, got up from the wing back chair, and led his children up the stairs to bed. After tucking each of his two girls into their beds and kissing them goodnight, he quietly shut the bedroom door.



         He went back downstairs to have a nightcap, sure they would find the pumpkin broken on the ground. Pouring himself a brandy before stepping through the french doors to the garden patio. There, in the middle stood the stricken garden stand, part of their new garden monument.  He had built it for Silvie, his dear and recently departed wife.



He and the children had placed the pumpkin, so carefully carved in the likeness of Silvie, out there since the children were sure she would love it.



As he looked around for the missing squash, he noticed a strange glow at the far corner, near where his beloved was now buried. Walking closer to her crypt, the glass of brandy suddenly slipped through his fingers as he stared in disbelief. The glow became brighter and fingertips rubbed his eyes, as if this gesture would make the vision go away.



“ Bradly, I am so glad you are taking good care of our girls. How strong you are for them is just wonderful.”



There was doubt in his mind, surely he was lost in his own imagination, desire to see his lovely wife again must have made him delusional. He closed his eyes tight and shook his head,  certain that she would be gone when he opened them again. Eye lids slowly crept up to let him see. A mouse like squeek, was all that would come from his lips as there, before him still, stood his dead wife.



         “Silvie, oh how the children and I miss you. How is it possible that you are here?”



The glowing apparition reached an arm out towards his face, nearly transparent fingers brushing upon his cheek.



“Oh my dear, dear Bradly, I don't know what happened, but it is wonderful to see you again. I'm so sorry that I left you and our babies.”



  Bradly suddenly took a step backwards.



“It must have been that ferocious lightening strike. Of course, the ionization created by the electricity and the energy it released. But how did that bring you back to us?”



Silvie stepped closer to her husband.



“I don't know and I don't care how it happened. What I do care about is that I am back with you and the children. Even if it is just for this moment. Please, let me see them before something happens and I am gone again.”



         Bradly took her hand and they began walking back to the house. Just as they reached the steps, a great flash of blue light lit the garden again as a second bolt of lightening struck the garden stand. Bradly had closed his eyes from the brightness of the flash. When he opened them, Silvie wasn't at his side anylonger. He turned back to the garden and he sank to his knees, a cry of anguish escaped through his gaping mouth. There, on the stand was the Jack – O – Lantern, back where it had disappeared from during the first lightening bolts strike. 
© Copyright 2014 Bryant RedHawk (bryant_redhawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2016551-Entry-A-Bolt-from-the-Blue