*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2017260-Rock-Sub-Genres
Rated: 13+ · Article · Music · #2017260
A few of the many types of rock music.
         This article is meant to talk about the sub-genres of rock. This article will not talk about any heavy metal sub-genres. Since there are so many sub-genres I will only talk about the ones you have likely heard or heard about.
         Before I talk about rock's sub-genres we need to know exactly what rock is. Rock is hard to define, because of its many sub-genres that drastically differ from one to the other. The instruments most often used in rock are a guitar,- normally an electric guitar, however, acoustic guitars are sometimes used- drums, an electric bass, and, occasionally, keyboards. Lyrically, rock music differs from genres like pop, because its lyrics are normally more serious, and are about topics such as, relationships, society, and politics, among other things.
         The first genre I will talk about is acid rock. You may not have heard the term, but you have likely heard of some acid rock bands, particularly, The Jimmy Hendrix Experience. Acid rock formed in the 1960s. It is similar to psychedelic rock, and is characterized by its few lyrics and long instrumentals. Some popular acid rock bands include: The Jimmy Hendrix Experience and The Doors.
         Next up is punk rock. It began in the 1970s. The Ramones were one of the first punk rock bands. Characteristics of punk rock are songs played with three chords, no guitar solos, and lyrics that deal with political and society issues. Some popular punk rock bands include: the Ramones, Sex Pistols, and Green Day.
         The next sub-genre is shock rock. This sub-genre is more about the performance than the music itself. Shock rock may have been created by Screamin' Jay Hawkins in the 1950s. Screamin' Jay Hawkins would, during his performances, come out of a coffin and use a skull-shaped microphone. Shock rock performers do things on stage to scare or disturb the audience, and their lyrics sometimes, though not always, speak of dark subjects. Popular shock rock bands include: Alice Cooper, Marilyn Manson, and Slipknot.
         The final sub-genre is hard rock. It is one of the most popular types of rock. It originated in the 1960s, but became popular during the 1970s with bands such as Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple. Its characteristics include vocals that are more aggressive than most types of rock and heavier distorion of instruments than with most types of rock.
         These are just a few of the more popular types of rock. Rock comes in many different forms, from soft rock to hard rock, from acid rock to punk rock, each with its own appeal. Rock will continue to change and stem into different forms as new bands innovate on what has already be done.
© Copyright 2014 Metallicwriter (metallicwriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2017260-Rock-Sub-Genres