*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2017287-Galactaball
by Johnny
Rated: E · Short Story · Sports · #2017287
Baseball in the future.
In the year 2114, baseball has spread in popularity across the universe. This new baseball is known as galactaball. One player from Earth known as Ace Johnson, a first baseman on the San Francisco Giants, one of the most respected players in the MLG (Major League Galactaball), had the best batting average in history, .496. Along with the rest of his team, descendants of former players before the MLG went out of Earth, 100 years ago when it was still the MLB. The team had made it to the Universal Series on the planet Gaea. The Giants were against the Nova Terra Ladybugs. The two teams were archrivals, and this game would decide which team was the better. Both teams were worried about the game. It was going to be played at Verizon Park at Nova Terra. A week later on game day, Ace Johnson was thinking to himself. What would happen if we lost the game? Would we be shunned for the rest of our lives? He quickly dismissed the thought. He had to think positive today. As he walked onto the field of Verizon Park, he listened to the crowds roar and watched the bright lights spotlight the team to play Game 7 of the Universal Series. He quickly ran to the batter’s box, and saw that the Ladybugs’ ace pitcher, Jeffrey Kershaw, was pitching. Ace got ready, and Jeffrey threw the pitch.
The ball sailed through the air, as Ace smashed his bat forward, whacking the ball far into the gap between left and center. It flew through the air, barely getting over the fence as thecrowd screamed in joy. He had a big smile on his face as he rounded third, while replays flashed on the stadium’s jumbotron. Jeffery was holding his cap down in frustration, thinking about how bad it went.
As the innings went on, the game went pretty well. The Ladybugs had brought in a fair amount of runs. The Giants’ performance was outstanding. They had managed to make 5 double plays and no errors. The teams were evenly matched, and by the 7th inning, the score was 5-4 Giants. In the dugout, Ace was giving everyone a pep talk.
“Guys, we can’t get cocky at all here. Just because we’re ahead doesn't mean this game will go to us. We have to hold them here and end this quickly!”
The team roared in agreement, and ran onto the field.
“Let’s go, guys!” somebody yelled.
The first batter got a high fly to center field, but Fred Trout caught it with ease. But, bases were loaded, and the Ladybugs’ best power hitter was up. It was Bob Kemp, the backbone of the Ladybugs. The first pitch was thrown to him, and he swung with all of his power. The ball sailed out of the park. It was a grand slam, and everyone crouched down in shame. The next batter grounded out, ending the inning. The team was in ruins, reminiscing about the grand slam that Bob had hit.
The next inning, the Giants’ performance was not very good because the let the grand slam get to them. Ace had been injured at first base, being replaced by rookie John Panik. Finally, it was the top of the 9th with 2 outs and bases loaded. The Giants were still down by 3.
John was up to bat, and he knew he couldn’t mess this up. The first pitch came. Strike one. Jeffrey set up, and lashed his arm up for another pitch. Strike two. The Ladybugs were rallied by this, knowing that this rookie couldn’t leave the game with the Giants winning. The ball shot towards John, and he swung at this one. “CRACK.” It shot over everyone’s heads, burying itself in the center field stands. John couldn’t believe it. He had hit a grand slam to put them in the lead. The next batter struck out. In the bottom of the 9th, John ended things quickly. As he made the last out, jumping and kicking his legs in the air, he raced towards the mound in joy. He joined everyone in jumping and celebrating. He heard Ace limp over and pat him on the back.
“You did well, kid.”

© Copyright 2014 Johnny (bananaman23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2017287-Galactaball