*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2018245-It-Was-Only-a-Dream---or---Was-it
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2018245
The Retelling of a Dream
           

It Was Only a Dream or Was It?


I had a journey that required me to follow along a rough meandering creek bed. The creek known for its deep spots, had many sharp switchbacks with its course. Suddenly, I realized I had to travel this trip by alone. "Not to worry", I said, "I've followed this creek safely a thousand times with never any severe problems encountered." I knew where the deep spots were and I could avoid them easily. I knew where the stepping-stones, just under the water's surface, were and I could always use them to cross if necessary. What did I have to fear?



That night was different. Although there was a full moon, brightly shining over all the land, the night seemed dark but the trail was all too familiar for any problems. "I've been here a thousand times and I know every spot in the water, on the creek bed, and on the shore. I know where to step and where to avoid." Carefully planning, I moved along the trail. That night seemed quieter than usual. The rustling of the leaves in the trees, the croaking of the frogs and the clicking of the crickets - all seemed to have disappeared in the silence that hovered over like an icy stillness.



"I've only a few miles to go before I get there", I thought. "But I'm going to have to cross the creek just around the bend for its too deep here and I can see well." Strangely, a small cloud, floating effortlessly in the night sky, blocked the moonlight that night. Knowing I have to cross this creek soon, "But where is 'my crossing spot?'", I asked myself.



"Ah, there it is. The safest place to cross this creek"! Because of the darkness, slowly I looked for the stepping-stones and I noticed the water level was higher than normal because the stones seemed to be deeper in the water. "Gee, these stones are rough to stand on tonight. I wonder what happened to them." I stepped slowly from stone to stone. Splash! I missed the stone, fortunately, I didn't fall under water, but I certainly stepped off into waist-deep water. Thankfully, the water wasn't cold, but it was just right for wading. With the comfortable water temperature, I thought I'm already wet, I might as well continue to wade through this creek and being comfortable to walk through the water, I continued.



Suddenly, a large body moved as an alligator surfaced quietly, just enough to see above the water's surface. Slowly, I turned around and to my pre-judged relief, I stepped up, onto what I thought was a stepping stone. It was rough but I was up out of the water. Suddenly it moved too and I realized I was standing on the back of another alligator. It sank like a rock and I hurried to the shore to get out of the water. There's another, and another, and still another coming at me. Slowly they were approaching me and then from the bank, the largest alligator of them all dived into the water with a fierce jump. Quickly, I "raced" to the shore (as fast as one can race in water that is) until I came face to face with another 'gator. Scared out of my wits, I raised my hands above my head and screamed GOD! And suddenly I was lifted out of the water as the gator lunged at me with his snapping mouth of a thousand teeth.



I shivered and shook, and then I woke up. Wow, it was only a dream I thought. Thinking back on the night's dream, and I still have vivid memories of it. Every now and then, the dream comes to mind and I think, it was a dream true enough, but it is God's way of reminding me, I am on my journey, and yes, I have to do this myself like you and everyone else. When dark nights come my way, the floodwaters try to consume me, the 'gators are all around snapping at me, I am reminded, "You are never alone. I am always by your side watching over you in the darkest of nights, in the deepest of floods, in the very face of danger I am your rescue."



So maybe it wasn't a dream and maybe it was, but I know now for sure it is LIFE!

© Copyright 2014 Gruffalo (gruffalo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/2018245-It-Was-Only-a-Dream---or---Was-it